Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post Covid-19...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing we will be open borders by May of next year...just a WAG based on economic, not, political reality. In the US we will begin vax in Nov/ Dec for Group 1, group 2 will be Jan, then Group 3 Feb and March. Canada will be concurrent and Mex right behind. Perfect timing for heading North.
    black 8 and CavReconSGT like this.
  2. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I retired last year from 40+ years in health care. (Oncology). I have participated in quite a few clinical trials. I am taking this "Warp Speed" vaccine with a YUGE grain of salt. The idea of a three-month Phase 3 trial makes me nervous.

doc
  3. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Shoot, I work specifically in testing phase 3 trial vaccines, and I'm nervous as hell

I am ready for us to be in the freshman year of CoVID-19's four year degree at this point, and if we're lucky then maybe CoVID-19 takes an accelerated credit track and graduates in 3.
    black 8, rkover1 and CavReconSGT like this.
  4. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Ever since the WH decided to meddle in the daily operations of the CDC, NIH, HHS et al, I am very skeptical now of what I hear from them. I will rely on independent corroboration. There is far too much misinformation and disinformation going on out there.

doc
  5. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    A lot of you may remember "way back when" Gerald Ford was running for re-election in '72. Remember the Swine Flu scare? They rushed a vaccine to be available before voting. Until, OOPS! hundreds of vax testers were stricken with various paralysis issues.

I'm really happy now that I made The Trek last year and have the memories. I/we may never get the chance again as age keeps getting in the way.

There have been eight multi-day road trips over the summer. None had any real planning behind them and all turned out well. I do stay in motels, perhaps that's bad but the weather has been so incredibly hot that camping at the end of a day's ride isn't very appealing.

What's really depressing is that only 2% of the population has been infected so far...

Keep riding friends, no matter how, where or when!
  6. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never listen to any of the politicians frankly. I do listen to the CDC and my Department of Public Health. They are good about sending me emails regarding anything related to medicine, in particular COVID right now. I trust most of what they say but still look for several sources to make sure everything jibs. As I do with almost everything. I am not a particularly trusting soul.

KR
    black 8 and rkover1 like this.
  7. DukeMButu

Oddometer:
    If you're into Dr. David Agus, the famous Oncologist from USC and a sometime medical contributor on CBS News, he has a great "text site" at: 310-299-9322. He sends concise updates on the Death Star hovering over us. He actually responds to questions! If you want something real, send him a four-word message, "Please sign me up."
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  8. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    So who's thinking of rough itineraries? I'm hoping to revisit some of my favorite places as well as add a bunch I missed last time. Looking to do more unpaved sections this time around. Like last time, I'd leave with a 'plan' and likely end up winging it once I set off.

In no particular order, I'm thinking something along the lines of:
    -Camping at the Bates Motel (Mosko Moto's campsite in White Salmon, WA)
    -Riding up to the Salmon Glacier (missed this last time)
    -Camping and kayaking at Boya Lake, again
    -South Canol Rd (didn't do this last time, and I think I read N Canol is going to be closed to vehicle traffic)
    -Rt 4 between Watson Lake and Carmacks (I didn't do this route last time)
    -Dawson City again - how can you not?
    -Tuk again, if there's time. Would like to camp up there this time.
    -Road to Eagle - skipped this last time
    -Camp at the Eagle Claw in Tok - skipped this last time
    -Valdez, again... and try to kayak at the glacier
    -McCarthy and Kennicott - skipped this last time
    -Homer - skipped this last time
    -Liard Hot Springs again - how can you ride by and not stop?
    -Kluane Lake - my route skipped this last time.

I may also want to ride up the Dalton, at least as far as Atigun Pass. I'd also consider going to Circle if I did that.

I'd also try to re-connect with a couple generous ADVers in Prince George, BC and Willow, AK if possible.
  9. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:

I have a list of places across the country and in Canada that I maintain. Anytime I hear of someplace interesting I check it out and put it on the list. I know I have some of these but I will be checking on the others. Thanks. I will try to add to the list later.

KR
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Whenever the border does open, I plan to take a slower pace somewhere around 325 miles a day so I can enjoy the ride and appreciate the landscape more. Last time I was doing an average of 440+ miles through BC and YT and I'm sure I missed nuggets along the way.

My proposed route will be the ALCAN one way and Stewart-Cassiar on the other with a side trip to Hyder and the Salmon Glacier.

For me, the two most memorable places I visited were Dawson City and Homer. Spending a couple of days walking around Dawson City was like stepping back in time, while camping at the Homer Spit with a campfire and a few IPAs was the highpoint of the trip. Something that I'd like to do again.

A few places that I skipped last time: Valdez, Kennecott Mines, Delta Junction, Seward, Liard Hot Springs (l meant to go but literally missed the sign :dunno), Hyder, and Salmon Glacier.

Also less dehydrated food for the next trip and more of the local cuisines...
  11. DukeMButu

Oddometer:
    If time is more limited - as it can be sometimes, I'm looking at just a "quick" run up to Yellowknife. Even that would be close to 30 days for me.

There is also a 'truck camping' thing planned for the Trans Taiga with a couple of buddies who don't ride.
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Huh... maybe haul the bike in back of the truck up to AK, drive a ways, set-up a basecamp, ride, rinse and repeat... :hmmmmm
    DukeMButu likes this.
  13. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Trans-Taiga is in Quebec
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Yes...

rather I was thinking out loud for my own trip to Alaska...
    AwDang likes this.
  15. DukeMButu

Oddometer:
    I did the opposite last year in AK. After a longish trip to Fairbanks, via many of the popular attractions, I flew the Frau up for a nine-day jaunt, counter-clockwise, in a rented Suburu SUV. A real Mench I met here, on this site, stored my bike safely at his place. After putting the Grande Dame back in seat 4B I retrieved my bike and did Part Two of the adventure. She is still talking about it...
  16. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I just started planning out my itinerary and I've got some thinking to do. They way I mapped it out, it's about a week longer in length than I can really get away with. Tuk might have to come off the list, since that's 3-4 days round trip off the bat. Also might take off Valdez since that adds another day. The rest of the places I've already been to that I want to do again are on the main routes up there so I'll go by them regardless... Boya Lake, Liard Hot Springs, Dawson City, Tok, etc.

I'll probably have to prioritize seeing the things I didn't get to last time - Eagle, Circle, Canol Rd, Salmon Galcier, Homer, Atigun Pass.

Also, last time I was on a 1090 and was able to crank out big mile days when needed. I'd be on the 690 this time - I've got it well set up to cover miles (seat, windscreen, cruise control), but 1,000 miles in a day might be asking a bit much. Last time, I made it to Prince George in 2 days, and I'm thinking next time it'll be more like 3 days to do that.
    black 8 and CavReconSGT like this.
  17. DukeMButu

Oddometer:
    I'll probably have to prioritize seeing the things I didn't get to last time - Eagle, Circle, Canol Rd, Salmon Galcier, Homer, Atigun Pass.

Also, last time I was on a 1090 and was able to crank out big mile days when needed. I'd be on the 690 this time - I've got it well set up to cover miles (seat, windscreen, cruise control), but 1,000 miles in a day might be asking a bit much. Last time, I made it to Prince George in 2 days, and I'm thinking next time it'll be more like 3 days to do that.[/QUOTE]

A good plan tends to fizzle when the fun begins!

Take all the time you need. An apology for coming back late means nothing after a couple of months.

Eagle is so far out there it's just a blip. Circle? Might be cool. Canol Road is where you go to be by yourself. Salmon Glacier, a must see. Homer? Neat town, they have a Safeway if you need to stock up. Atigun Pass, depending on when you cross, and how many of the Ice Road Truckers are running behind schedule can either be incredibly cool or unbelievably scary!

If you have some discretionary funds a night at the Boreal Lodge in Wiseman is a real treat.

The Homer Bears come out to feed in August. Well worth the side trip.

Liard Hot Springs...AHHHHHHH!

The 690 is a great pack animal and fully up to the task.

Don't push it but "Go man Van Gogh!"
    AllSeasonRider and black 8 like this.
  18. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I've always thought a reliable transport company would do a bustling business dropping and picking up bikes in Alaska or YT. For many, the ride to and from takes half the vacation time.
    kristin.m likes this.
  19. DukeMButu

Oddometer:

"Somewhere" in this forum I believe I've seen someone who did preposition a bike in Dawson City and then flew up to get it. Perhaps it was the Aussie/Brit Peter340? A bit of noodling on the net may get you some freight forwarders in the Yukon/NWT. They specialize in large pieces of machinery for the numerous mining operations so handling a motorcycle should be all in a days work.
    Migolito and CavReconSGT like this.
  20. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    @Peter640 flew in from OZ and his bike, which was stored in Ottawa, was trucked there to meet him.