Alaska 2021 Trip Planning; Post Covid-19...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Apr 13, 2020.

1. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:

Did those and Trans Lab. Didn't make it to Caniapiscau.....yet. But those rides were all awesome and I believe they are going to be good training for my rides to Deadhorse and Tuk.

KR
    Sidney likes this.
  2. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just some thoughts on riding and camping on the Dalton. I went up there mid August and the temps were @75 at Cold Foot, pretty nice. I had waited till the weather was nice before setting out.
    I camped at Marion creek campground and that is a gem of a place to stay, I set up camp and the next day left my stuff there while I cruised up to Galbraith lake, my destination, I’ve been to dead horse before and not my cup of tea plus they are paving from dead horse down to mile 362 or so over the next couple years and I’d had enough of construction for one riding season. The trip up to Galbraith and back was 212 miles and I left at 9 and got back to camp at around 2 even with a fill up at cold foot. A real pleasant excursion.
    Couple of take away points:
    I talked to the campground host about watching my stuff and about theft and he reassured me.
    Weather is nicer interior then coastal usually, Marion creek is interior and Galbraith lake campground is coastal in my opinion. The weather at Antiguan was chilly of course as was the coastal plane so I’m glad I camped at Marion creek.
    I think the more ambitious could have left Marion creek early and got to dead horse and back in a long day. Camping at Galbraith lake then hitting dead horse and back down to Marion creek is another option.
    I know some people ride the whole thing in very little time but spending two nights at Marion creek in shorts was pretty awesome.
    I saw one other motorcycle on the Dalton.
    Also, Thermacell is your friend.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Paving the Dalton!
    Hell hath froze over
    djroszina and black 8 like this.
  4. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation. I bought this book used off eBay and looks to be great reference for southern BC...
    HatesSnow likes this.
  5. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding the Dalton is quite wonderful on the gravel sections in dry weather. The paved sections can be downright deadly with deep crater potholes. Some have warning cones in them that are barely visible because they are so deep. You have to watch this sections like a hawk. My first time up was in 96 and it was completely unpacked. In 06 some sections were paved and the craters were terrible. Someone who owns an asphalt company has sold whoever owns the road a real terrible idea.
    black 8, DukeMButu and Bigbob1 like this.
  6. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    "LUCK
    "LUCK!"

Tuk, with the right weather - and this is as subjective as an hour ago, can be the easiest gravel road ride you've ever done or "A challenge."

Everyone who has ever made this ride has a different story. The good news is that few die, the bad news is that not everyone makes it.

Isn't that the essence of an Adventure Ride?

My Dalton and my Tuk, were successful: Thus I can write. No other accolade can be claimed.
    AwDang and Sidney like this.
  7. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    So true!
  8. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the trip to AK for a job in 09 and the whole way up was frustrated I could not go see everything i wanted to along the way due to having to be at the job by a certain date, and had the same issue on the way back and swore some day i would do the trip again and see everything I missed before. Suggest people realize there is a lot of distance to cover and much you will want to see! Time is the enemy. Now I am retired and cannot go due to this stupid virus! very frustrating...
  9. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 7 Nov 2020

The border remains closed to non-essential travel according to the DHS: Dated 19 Oct 2020

"To continue to limit the spread of COVID, the US, Mexico, & Canada will extend the restrictions on non-essential travel through Nov 21. We are working closely with Mexico & Canada to identify safe criteria to ease the restrictions in the future & support our border communities."

CavReconSGT likes this.
  10. HatesSnow

HatesSnow Waiting for Summer

Oddometer:
    No worries. I know most of BC pretty well so might be able to offer advice/suggestions if/whenever you want it. Of course the Canada section in the regional forums contains more knowledge than I possess.
    black 8 likes this.
  11. KKORO

KKORO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Rudy, I'm just beginning to think about Alaska for next summer. I've got some places I didn't get to in '17 -- Artic Circle, Homer Spit, and Valdez along with others.

If I go, I'll trailer from Michigan fairly early and stop in Prince George, BC. Old Griz lives there and I'll try to talk him into going the rest of the way.

Sounds like you are downsizing while I upsized to a V-Strom 1000 for my trip up to Newfoundland. If I go to Alaska next summer, that's the bike I'll take. When I get home I'll downsize. I'll be 71 next summer and I'm getting tired of moving the V-Strom around. Might just go back to a KLR.

Anyway, if you go, hope to connect.

KorKoro
    black 8 likes this.
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    John, I hope we all get to make the trip up north if/when the border finally opens to us non-essential travelers...

The vaccine trials are looking good thus far, I just hope it will be readily available to the masses early next year.

The other question out there is the pecking order that we will be categorized in like; elderly, first responders, service members, essentials workers, average Joe and Janes as an example...
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  13. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 24 Nov 2020

"Update on the Canada-US border: We’ve extended the current border measures by another 30 days. Non-essential travel between our two countries remains restricted until at least December 21st." - Justin Trudeau dtd 20 Nov 2020

I won't post further border updates until the spring of 2021 since the border closure extensions have become a monthly ritual for the US-Canadian guv'ments...

I'll update when road conditions become more favorable to moto travel or when significant news happens... like getting my vaccine shot.

Meanwhile... I rode my bike to Florida last month in anticipation of the US-Canada Border opening and getting my vaccine shot sometime in early 2021. I'll be well positioned to start my ride from Key West; then motograph my way across to SoCal, meet some fellow inmates, swap bikes to the 310 GS, and migrate north to Alaska at the start of the riding season... In the interim, I'm doing day trips out of Kissimmee to see what Florida has to offer. Daytona Bike week starts in March and I'll certainly attend a day or two to see what all the hoopla is all about...

28.jpg

IMG_1077.jpeg

18.jpg

4.jpeg

7.jpg

15.jpeg
  14. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike by the way.

KR
    NSFW, Hogges and black 8 like this.
  15. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope the vaccination comes with a card or is entered on some mutually shared database between Mexico, USA, and Canada that can verify vaccination and allow passage.
  16. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, I think that some airlines will require a certificate
  17. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    II would think the Cannucks would require a vaccination certificate for someone from the US to enter their country.
    They should.....
    Ironheadziggy76 likes this.