Alaska 2021 - We're Goin' For it!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by donnh, Aug 2, 2021.

1. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    I also recommend a side trip to the Salmon Glacier via Stewart/Hyder ...

DSCN4975 (2).JPG
    You pass the Bear Glacier on the way on 37A.

DSCN4972 (2).JPG
  2. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    KC10: Wow what a boat story... you weren't joining the chorus in the bano? The bike didn't crash over? Awesome... see, those are the things we remember.
    PittsDriver: Yes for sure - Cassier. Wasn't sure about the 37A part but maybe we should reconsider?
    Yes, for sure I'm monitoring the border situation closely. Unless I hear for sure it's closed we will be in line at 8:00 AM Monday morning. I haven't decided on the Lynden or Sumas crossings and may wait until the last minute and see if the locals in Lynden have any recommendations.
    bajaburro and CavReconSGT like this.
  3. donnh

Oddometer:
    Gearing Up. True Story.
    Don't worry, the actual riding part of this RR will start soon. Ummm, maybe... For the next couple of days we are still getting ready.
    Here is a picture of Deby from last year's CDR ride.
    [​IMG]

She's had those ancient KLIM riding pants for over 100K miles and doesn't want to get rid of them because it's hard to find women's riding gear that fits. I mean, these things have seen waaaay better days.. Seriously, I've been trying to get her to upgrade those pants for years but she wouldn't budge. Crazy thing... those pants have zip-off bottoms just below the knee. There is no way I see the logic in that, she didn't either but that's probably another story.

[​IMG]

Finally I twisted her arm and convinced her to come with me to the local KLIM dealer and just see what they had. I also reminded her that it is probable that we would be riding in cold, wind, rain, mud, snow or all of the above at the same time! She finally relented. The shop had a new pair of KLIM women's Latitude pants in her size so I gladly purchased them. I BS'd with the guys behind the counter about our trip and as I was heading out the door he joked that I would be back for more.

I wasn't home for an hour when I was on to my next task, I had the idea to snow seal my boots for an extra layer of waterproofness. That's when I noticed this:

[​IMG]

No worries... I had a great solution:

[​IMG]

Just then Deby came out and busted a gut. Really! She laughed. You're going to wear those boots! What about the rain, snow, cold wet mud???
    Twenty minutes later I was back at the motorcycle store listening to a bunch of "I told you so" from the guys.

So now I have a new pair of Alpinestar Toucan Gore-Tex boots to keep me warm and dry.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I'll keep everyone posted on our progress.
  4. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    What tires are you and Deby running on your bikes for this trip? I have an F7GS, so am extra curious.

Also, have you replaced stators yet?
  5. donnh

Oddometer:
    TKC70's all around and yes, new Stators on both bikes.
    Vark likes this.
  6. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    "Canada has fined two travellers arriving from the US who, officials say, forged Covid-19 testing and vaccination documents.

Each was fined C$19,720 ($16,000, £11,500) after inspectors at the Toronto airport found their vaccine cards and proof of testing were fake.

It comes as Canada is set to ease travel restrictions on US visitors."
    Bar None and CavReconSGT like this.
  7. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that update.. good to know CBSA is crossing the t and dotting the i...

Whole story: Two travelers to Canada are fined for using fake Covid-19 documents. <<<
    eaglescan likes this.
  8. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strange being that they were Canadians.
  9. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    and
    Canadians don't even have access to what would be considered "official" vaccination passports.
    pretty certain Trudeau is gonna offload that responsibility to the provinces - resulting in yet another endless quagmire.
  10. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works Supporter

Oddometer:
    This just in:
    Unions launch actions to clog Canadian border as it reopens to Americans:
    Canadian border agents launched work-to-rule measures today that threaten to jam traffic days before the country reopens to Americans. Union leaders representing 9,000 staffers with the Canada Border Services Agency have warned the strike actions will cause “dramatic disruptions” at airports, land crossings, commercial ports and postal facilities. The slowdowns will affect individuals and Canada’s supply chain, the unions said.
    JustKip likes this.
  11. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Read about this a week or so ago.

As a result, we changed our plans to enter on Aug 16- give things a few days to shake out.
    CavReconSGT and BJMoose like this.
  12. Fred20

Fred20 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BJMoose likes this.
  13. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    The side trip out to Hyder is well worth it. The Salmon glacier and the bear watching station on the the road up there is also must see. Pizza and beer at the motel is also recommended, though it’s been a while since I was there. I would also be curious to know if Sally’s restaurant, at the junction of the Cassiar and the Alcan is still open.

For border crossings, there is a smaller one than the Sumas one nearby Bellingham. Aldergrove is smaller than the Sumas/Abbotsford and has always embed to me to be a little more user friendly and less Checkpoint Charlie-ish.
    https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/li...n-state/lynden-aldergrove/traffic-conditions/
    I just recently contemplated a trip up there in September with my son. It was too late in the season to safely do it so we are heading to Overland Expo instead.
    Good luck on Monday and for the rest of the trip.
    bajaburro and Steve Glenn like this.
  14. donnh

Oddometer:
    It's been a busy 24 hours.
    Deby and I went for our scheduled Covid PCR test yesterday and received our results this morning - negative. Since we are now within the 72 hour crossing window we both went to the ArriveCAN app and submitted our information. We needed to let them know when and where we would be crossing. I picked Aldergrove and guessed at 8:00AM Monday. I needed to upload a picture of my Covid vaccination card. Interestingly, it required me to list a hotel for my quarantine plan. I picked one at sort of random in Abbotsford since it wouldn't let me complete the form with that section blank. I wasn't required to show proof of booking. The ArriveCAN app has a receipt with a code I'm supposed to show at the border. So in summary this is what I'm bringing with me to the border:
    • Passport
    • Covid vaccination card
    • Document with negative PCR test result
    • ArriveCAN App with approval code.
    In addition to the normal motorcycle registration and declaration page from my insurance policy.

Just this morning it dawned on me that at some point we will need to leave Alaska and cross back into Canada.... Think I can get a Covid test in Tok??

So, how far to ride on Monday.... if and when we get through? A quick look at Google Maps and it looks like Cache Creek might be a good distance for the day. I clicked the Google option to search for nearby hotels to get an idea of prices and availability and this came up.

[​IMG]

Sunset Motel $7,372!! Wow, this is going to be a more expensive trip than I thought! It's funny that it says "DEAL 41% less than usual. Hmmm, maybe we'll just camp.

Otherwise, I spent the day fussing with the bikes, packing, unpacking, getting rid of stuff, re-packing. Deby and I even got out for a short shake down ride. We'll leave tomorrow afternoon.
    #1Fan, Jamie Z, CavReconSGT and 5 others like this.
  15. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something else just dawned on me too, As much as I like the Hyder/Stewart idea you may be screwed if you cross to Hyder and try getting back into Canada as I doubt they have a covid test in Hyder to fulfill the requirement crossing back into Canada.
    Just a thought.
  16. donnh

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, yea. I'm going to have to work this out on the fly in a couple of weeks.
  17. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    What is this quarantine plan that ArriveCan app (CBSA) requires you to provide them?

I thought it was just; passport, proof of full vax outside of the 14 days prior to crossing, a negative molecular test, with info submitted in ArriveCan... This quarantining once you get across is a curve ball outta nowhere to me. I was just planning to go to 100 Mile House after I crossed?
  18. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    But if you only ride 37A down to Stewart it's worth the side trip. That road in April when we went was spectacular and they had been avalanche bombing just the morning before we got there. We couldn't even get to Hyder or the glacier due to roads being impassable from Hyder.
  19. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just be mindful that with so many folks displaced because of the fires, occupancy rates are likely at 99% everywhere in B.C.... hence the high prices.
    Good luck regardless, doubt the Border Guards are going to quarantine you enroute to Alaska.
  20. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer: