Alaska 2021 - We're Goin' For it!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by donnh, Aug 2, 2021.

1. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, It is a spectacular ride to Stewart, and Salmon glacier. Earliest I've ever done it was June and there was still quite a bit of snow halfway up to the glacier.
  2. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just saw this post by @Hill Climber in another thread. Thought I would pass it along here in case it was important:

gpfan likes this.
  3. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I checked a month ago. They were booked through the end of August. I postponed my trip till next year. Getting there in Sept wouldn't work for me at all!
  4. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is good to know. Thanks I guess we’ll be going through the process again Monday morning at the hotel.
    Vark likes this.
  5. donnh

Oddometer:
    ArriveCAN needed a hotel address entered. I suspect the new version of the App will not have this requirement.
    CavReconSGT and black 8 like this.
  6. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following along. Hope all goes well at the border crossings. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!
  7. donnh

Oddometer:
    I received the following message from the Canadian government today.... Interesting, no mention of a negative COVID test being required, that might help returning into Canada from Alaska. So far so good.....

New rules for travel and quarantine will be in effect in Canada on August 9, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, including some exceptions for unvaccinated dependent children and dependent adults.

Please be aware of the following new requirements:

1) The 3-night hotel stopover requirement will be eliminated for all travellers arriving by air after 12:01 a.m. EDT on August 9.

· If you are arriving in Canada after August 9 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, you may be asked if you have booked and prepaid at a Government-approved hotel” in ArriveCAN. You should select ‘no’.

· You may see a flag on your receipt indicating you have ‘No mandatory hotel booking’. You can ignore this. Upon entry to Canada, a border services officer will confirm that you do not need to stay at a hotel.

2) Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens or permanent residents, who currently reside in and will be travelling from the U.S. and fully vaccinated French citizens residing in Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon may be allowed to enter Canada for discretionary purposes. To qualify, travellers must:

· Submit their proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN and show their receipt to their air carrier in order to board their flight;
    If travellers do not meet the fully vaccinated requirements, they will not be provided an ArriveCAN receipt and will be denied boarding, unless exempt.

· Select ‘Discretionary/optional travel by fully vaccinated U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent resident or resident of Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon’ as your purpose of travel in ArriveCAN;
    All travellers in a submission must be traveling for the same purpose of travel. If not, each traveller must provide their own information in an individual ArriveCAN submission.

Note: If your group submission includes a child less than 12 years, they will still be asked about their vaccination status. However, as long as all other travellers in the submission are fully vaccinated, ArriveCAN will issue a receipt that is required for travel.

Note: If you are travelling with unvaccinated dependent children aged 12-17 or dependent adults who are eligible to enter Canada, do not include them in the ArriveCAN submission. They will provide their information prior to boarding or upon entry to a Government of Canada official.

Submitting your information in ArriveCAN is mandatory. If you are eligible to enter Canada after August 9 at 12:01 a.m. EDT and to ensure you meet the requirements mentioned above, you must:

· Download the latest version of ArriveCAN or click ‘Update’ in the Store if using the app (Apple App Store, Google Play Store), or Sign in online, after August 9 at 12:01 a.m. EDT; and,

· Resubmit your information using the most up-to-date version of ArriveCAN.

If you are travelling by marine vessel, click here for more information about the new requirements.

Please visit COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada for more information and be sure to review the Government of Canada Travel Web Page frequently, including up until the day of your departure. Current travel requirements are subject to change without notice.

For more information on ArriveCAN, visit Canada.ca/ArriveCAN. For common questions, troubleshooting advice, and information on how to contact us for more support, visit Help for ArriveCAN.

Thank you,

The Public Health Agency of Canada
    gpfan, #1Fan, CavReconSGT and 2 others like this.
  8. donnh

Oddometer:
    On our way….
    We made it to Lyndon WA today, nice weather and the bikes are doing great. Booked a luxury room at the Windmill Inn

16D52F57-3867-4F9D-8253-82734FF5DDF3.jpeg

Bikes tucked in

604366D2-62B7-44DD-8F7F-F4B66B05968F.jpeg

Walked to Bob’s restaurant nearby for a Squirrel Sandwich.
    9A16E3C3-405F-4D67-A308-A7532679CB50.jpeg

Oh yea.. full travel mode now.

938B3BBD-004A-40DB-B76A-4630D50F13C0.jpeg

Tomorrow we’ll try to cross early. Got a PM from inmate Steve who let us know the border opens at 8:00AM. He offered to need us at the other side. Cool, yes we’ll be there.

more to come.
    JeepDawg, CoopsDL, ScotsFire and 5 others like this.
  9. donnh

Oddometer:
    BJMoose, Cal, HarveyM and 6 others like this.
  10. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck to you!
    black 8, idea man and donnh like this.
  11. canmet

canmet n00b

Oddometer:
    Canada Welcomes You!!
  12. C185N9921X

C185N9921X Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are IN!
    #1Fan, HarveyM and Bigbob1 like this.
  13. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair winds and slack tides to you!
    #1Fan likes this.
  14. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    They made it through, I was watching the line up from Canada side.
    Went fairly quick for them, and then we met up. Had a short chat and off they went, all good.
  15. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good for them! And us. ;)
  16. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Frazier River Valley. Pretty spectacular....when it's not on fire. Best of luck to them.
  17. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations for crossing to Canada!!!!

I have a few questions.

Did you need the PCR test?
    What did you do regarding the quarantine contingency plan required?
    Are hotel reservations required?
  18. donnh

Oddometer:
    Whoo Hoo! Yes, we are in!

We woke up too early and found some coffee at a nearby Starbucks to get us going. The border opened at 8:00 and we were there promptly at 6:45!!! Crazy! I don't know... would there be a long line? Lots of questions??? Didn't matter, we were second in line behind an RV from Texas.

[​IMG]

Took a couple of pictures at the CLOSED shop where we could have purchased some much needed coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Promptly at 0800 PST the guards raised the gate and let us through. We were through in 10 minutes after they reviewed our passports, vaccination document and PCR test (yes that was required). They didn't want to see the APP at all but said it was in their system. After that it was the usual questions about guns, drugs, alcohol and various food items. When they asked where we were going I said Alaska and that seemed to cause some consternation and a few calls on their radios. Not sure what that was about.

On the other side of the gate we had a welcoming committee! How cool was that!!

[​IMG]

ADV inmate eaglescan lives nearby and got up early to greet us... Thanks buddy, it really meant a lot to have you there. Eaglescan rides a cool BMW X-Challenge and guided us around traffic on some nice back roads. We smiled about it all day.

From there it was mile munching through some beautiful country. We stopped for a well needed brunch in Hope and sat on the outside patio with some other local ADV riders bs'ing about riding and our trip. Wow, I forgot how friendly everyone is in Canada, very refreshing.

We thought we might stop at Cache Creek but we actually arrived around noon, way to early to stop so we topped off our tanks and kept riding. When we got to Lytton we were told the whole town was burned down, yikes! The highway actually goes around the town so we could get through but the road into town was closed and there was extensive evidence of the fierce fire that went through that area recently. What a bummer. FYI, We thought of taking the side route through Llliooet but that road was closed so we stayed on 1.

The miles were coming easy with sustained 120kph speeds and we were still being passed occasionally. We arrived in Williams Lake close to 4:00 PM after riding almost 300 miles. It was early but we were both tired after getting up at 5:00 AM.

We checked into the very nice Coast Hotel and made the short walk to the nearby Fox Mountain Brewing for a couple of pints and good food.

[​IMG]

Ahhh, perfect... When we "strolled" back to the hotel they had these massage chairs in the lobby - of course we had to give those a whirl after the rough day on the bikes.

[​IMG]

Who said this ADV riding stuff is that hard?

The weather today was about perfect, no rain, mostly overcast, cool in the morning and pleasant in the afternoon. Tomorrow should be more of the same. We did find out that most of the hotels were almost full in Williams Lake. I asked about it at the desk and was told there were construction workers, Canadians on vacation and firefighters booking all the rooms. I joked that now they can add the US tourists to that list and made special note that I was probably the first US tourist they've had in 18 months or so. The woman looked at me, and thought about it, and said probably, with an uncertain look. Note to self... call ahead tomorrow for a reservation. Where?? We'll see...

More tomorrow, thanks for following.
    cavebiker, GISdood, garfey and 14 others like this.
  19. donnh

Oddometer:
    Yes on the PCR test and for the quarantine plan I answered "no" on the app but still needed to include an address. I entered the address for a nearby Best Western hotel. The guard asked me what that was and I said a hotel in case we were delayed at the border. Deby's guard never mentioned it. I don't think it matters much.
    Manny U, #1Fan and gpfan like this.
  20. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just checking the weather from Enviroment Canada. Looks like 30% showers in Prince George and closer to the coast. If your heading to the start of the Alcan it looks sunny and dry for several days. Have fun
    rubline and #1Fan like this.