Alaska 2021 - We're Goin' For it!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by donnh, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your ride report. Sorry about your dad.

My friend and I rode the cassiar north bound in ¹7, we had great weather from Prince George to Stewart. Rained when we arrive and the next morning when we headed out. But I loved the remoteness of it.

I too wanted to ride to deadlocked, but skipped it because of the weather. I'm going back soon, but might opt to just round trip it to the pass as you did. That's what I want to experience anyway.

I'll shoot for late June again.
  2. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Looks like Dease Lake to me. To be honest, you can't expect much in places like that. I apologize on behalf of Canada.

Great adventure. Thanks for taking the time to write up the RR. I know the effort required and really appreciate it.

Very sorry to hear about your Dad.
  3. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it home safely, thanks for the great report. My condolences on the passing of your father. RIP
  4. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Echoing what the others said about your family's loss. It's never easy.
    Kudos to you and your riding partner. You are both clearly very lucky to be able to share this experience.
    We are just hearing that the EU is closing access to the US. My guess is that Canada will soon, if they haven't already. Great timing in that regard.
    Thanks again.
  5. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I thought Dease Lake was a little dodgy when we went through there. It was kind of a weird place to stay the night, yet the Arctic Divide Lodge was great and the owner was super cool.
    RockyDS likes this.
  6. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your adventures with us! So sorry to hear about your dad. Seems like a pretty normal trip to Alaska from the US, except for the COVID testing, which is good to hear. Great photos and great writing style. Appreciate it!
  7. MTNFSH

MTNFSH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. Impressed with the willingness to do the trip with the borders just opening and the COVID testing. I have read reports before of hotel rooms sometimes hard to find but perhaps it was all the more difficult due to COVID disruption for workers as someone else noted. Most of all I loved the way you both rolled with whatever came your way. Condolences on your dad passing. Thanks again for sharing the ride report
    Dan Lorenze likes this.
  8. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What I read is that it (the EU) is only closing to unvaccinated US folks. Those that are fully vaccinated, no change.
    And my condolences about your Dad. Mine passed in 2016.
  9. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clearly finding and paying for motel rooms was a difficulty for most of this trip? Did enjoy riding along, well done report. Many memories!!!
    Dease Lake is not all bad as it is the start of the excellent road that goes west to the village of Telegraph Creek. The hill down into the village is a bit of an eye opener with sharp turns and a 20 % hill. There is a speciality built truck to service telegraph creek. As that hill for normally equipped trucks would be very difficult. Take Care Petepilot
    RockyDS likes this.
  10. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    DSCN4882 (3).JPG
  11. raw2210

raw2210 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First so sorry about your Dad.

Thank you for the RR. You did a fine job.
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    My condolences for the passing of your father. Mine passed in 2016 before I made my ride to Alaska. I can imagine the things he would have said about it.

Thank you for the ride report. It made me appreciate my 2019 ride even more. Your ride was far more difficult than mine and, I suspect, most others in the pre-Covid era. Weather is always a factor but you appear to have gotten more than most. Your weather, food, and lodging difficulties combined for a tough experience. I hope you get to go again after all this craziness is only a distant memory and earlier in the season when the weather and insects are more favorable.

Oh, next time, stop for the “Best cinnamon buns in the Galaxy”. They really are fantastic and the woman who makes and serves them is sweet as pie.
    Dan Lorenze likes this.
  13. Old Codger

Old Codger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking me along on your trip great report. Sorry to here about your Father it's never easy.
  14. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the writeup. Brings back some memories.
    If you do a repeat, stay at Wiseman, Deadhorse is just for gas and food if you need it.