Alaska Adventure Ride Information

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mastery, Aug 29, 2014.

1. sstracke

sstracke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just pulled in to Dawson Creek. Weather was cool coming up from Radium, this morning, until about Grande Cache. TONS of tourists (like me) on the Icelands Parkway. I didn't think I would ever get to Jasper. On to Liard River Hot Springs, tomorrow.
  2. Gargantuan

Gargantuan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Grand Cache on day three of my trip. Jasper and Banff were right up there with yellowstone in terms of scenery imo.
  3. sstracke

Oddometer:
    I met three guys at the gas station in Grand Cache. Rode with them for a bit, as they were headed home to Grand Prairie. Watch out for the bridge as you head out of Grand Cache - the guys told me that it can get pretty slick, if it gets wet.

The coal mine just out of GC was interesting. Thought about stopping, but...

Saw a couple of black bear cubs running across the highway, a quarter mile ahead of me. It was just after Beaver Lodge.
  4. georgiev

georgiev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please be on the look out for black accerbis rain gear trousers lost probaby at Meziadin Jnc to Haines. If found please bring to D2D I buy beer! Btw, hyder has a great bar! Not to miss! Please ride safe!
  5. hilljak

hilljak Hayseed

Oddometer:
    It was perfect today! Just a bit of construction on the south end and some grading about 90 miles north of Waston Lake. 230 miles to gas at Ross River.

:clap
  6. sixty8fury

sixty8fury Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to Hyder from Prince George tomorrow.
  7. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hyder is a cool little town. Make sure to dine at the Fish Bus. And the gal that runs the Fudge/gift shop on the corner is a hoot. Very motorcycle friendly, and can tell stories of famous historical motorcyclists who've visited with her.

Be careful getting Hyderized if you are going to ride back into Canada. The customs folks there take a dim view of dui, and can arrest you at the gate.

Hopefully the salmon are running, and you get to watch the bears fishing.
  8. Gargantuan

Oddometer:
    So I'm guessing that the Campbell is worth taking? I'm going to be at Watson lake tomorrow and will have to decide to go that route or not.
  9. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Departure one week from today. It's going to fly by.

John
  10. sixty8fury

sixty8fury Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No Salmon running, town was really quiet. I ate at the Bus and it was great.
  11. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yoiks! What a wet day today.
    Rode from McLeese Lake on the Carboo hwy up to Prince George then headed west on the Yellowhead hwy headed for the Cassiar hwy.

I pulled into a closed Race Track in Hazelton and did a couple laps on the Drifter before stopping under the covered area to sit on the curb and read the Milepost to find the camping options on the Cassiar since it was after 5 and still raining.

Very slim picking for camping around here.

So I set up camp in the Bulkley Valley Motel.

The new Frog Togg rain gear kept me dry all day :clap
  12. Gargantuan

Oddometer:
    Like hearing everyone's updates! I'm on day 8 of my trip, currently in chicken, AK. Was going to stay in Dawson for d2d but all of the lodging was full and I decided to get a jump start on things. ToTW was incredible, plus I made it to the border with 10 minutes to spare. Only thing that wasn't too good was I was going straight into the sun. Made for some interesting riding past the US border as the unpaved sections on that side aren't as good as on the CA side.

I also skipped the dempster which means I'll be doing the Dalton, I only have the time for one. First I'm going down to Valdez though.
  13. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Bike is for the most part packed. Just need to throw clothes and laptop in and call it good. Departure the 26th after work. Can't wait. I'm also enjoying the updates a great deal. :)

John
  14. sstracke

Oddometer:
    Got to Fairbanks Friday evening, immediately went to Adv Cycleworks (why not). A couple of riders from Denver were just leaving - one had gotten a puncture in the sidewall of his rear TKC70. Somehow, with a patch, he was able to limp the bike to Fairbanks. I debated about putting a replacement TKC70 on at that time, or after I finish my ride on the Dalton. Decided to wait.

As I had been riding non-stop, seemingly, for eight days, I overslept on Saturday. When I rode back to ACW, Dan laughed about my oversleeping. So, he replaced my not-too-worn TKC70 (where else am I going to get one, before Vancouver/Seattle? I changed my oil, taking a bit of good-natured ribbing about my AltRider skid plate from Dan. Of course, he was right - I got oil all over the top of the plate, meaning I had to take it off at the front, in order to clean it.

Dan took the time, while I was the only one there, to powerspray most of the dirt from the Dinali Hwy from the bike.

I can't say enough good things about Dan's professional and quick work. He is great! If you need anything with your (non-Harley) bike, Dan is the one to go to.
  15. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    That's great to know.

John

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  16. itspossible

itspossible never far enough

Oddometer:
    I'm riding to BC from Ontario then north to Alaska, Prince George on July 4-5 then north to Dawson City. I had a riding buddy in BC who was to join me but he's had to cancel for medical reasons. Anyone interested in hooking up? I plan on camping as much as possible and have 3 weeks to spend touring Alaska (July 9-Aug 2), I'm riding a Vstrom 1000.
    Let me know by PM if you want company, my destinations are flexible but I had hoped to tour as far south as Homer and possibly north to Prudhoe if the weather co-operates.

Ron
  17. Gargantuan

Oddometer:
    Camping in Denali state park tonight and then a short/somewhat of a rest day tomorrow in fairbanks (staying in the dorms). Then if weather still looks good up to Deadhorse.

If anyone is in/will be in alaska, make sure you go all the way down to valdez on the richardson. Absolutely incredible scenery, possibly the best I've ever seen (I'm 22 and haven't seen it all yet though). But right up there with the best of yellowstone and Banff.
  18. hilljak

hilljak Hayseed

Oddometer:
    Big fires to the South of Tok. Lots of smoke in the air making the views really bad all the way from Haines Jct to Tok. After crossing into Alaska, the visibility was reduced to less than a half miles in some places. Luck of the wind I guess, an hour later it could be clear.

All the same, be careful while coming through.
  19. smithpa68

smithpa68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flying north from Atlanta tomorrow. Can't wait to get back to Alaska!!! I pick up my rental F800GS Friday morning and plan to head up to Talkeetna, then continue north to the Denali hwy and head east. At Paxson, I will hang a left and keep going north. After that.. the only goal is to get on my flight home on July 4th. I will tent mostly and if the weather is really foul.. I will try to find a room where I can.

I look forward seeing other ADV riders along the way.

Keep it safe fellas.
  20. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Arrived home at 5:30 today after riding 3,270 miles from Santa Rosa, CA to Anchorage, AK in 10 days.

Excellent trip with many great memories.

I was the guy on the dirty Drifter from riding many dirt roads.

I took pictures of several GS's that didn't have a bit of dust on them.
    Where did they ride????

Met some really interesting riders and was quite surprised that very few of them knew about ADVRider.

I have several ADV stickers on the bike and they would ask what they were.

Ride on!