Alaska Adventure Ride Information

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mastery, Aug 29, 2014.

1. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Currently in Stewart, BC with two buddies on two loaded R1200 GSs and one GSA. Weather has been phenomenal and is looking dry for the next few days.

We're planning on riding to Telegraph Creek tomorrow and would like to find out the condition of the road if anyone has already been down there. (We're experienced sport touring riders, but novice adventure riders.)

Also, any recommendations for camping spots?

Thanks in advance!

Rick
  2. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that I have actually been there I can personally recommend the Eagle Claw Motorcycle Campground in Tok.

http://thompsonseaglesclaw.com/index.html

Vanessa Thompson owns and runs the place and it is great.

Only 168 miles to Dawson City so you could leave your camp set up here and do a day ride to Dawson and back if you wanted.
    I sure thought about it when I was there but I was already 3 days late for work :cry

She also has a few little cabins if you want to relax and not even set up a tent:

[​IMG]
  3. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    I hope you took the opportunity to ride up to Salmon Glacier north of Hyder....

I rode to Telegraph Creek a couple years ago. The road was like a normal gravel road nothing too technical or difficult.

We camped about 6 miles past the town along the river. If you have the time it's well worth the ride back & camp.
  4. itspossible

itspossible never far enough

Oddometer:
    Here's a comment from Austin who rode the Telegraph Cr road a couple of days ago, 2 up on a GSA...his RR is in the Canada thread of the Regional forum.

Anyway we had our ride down the Telegraph Creek and just beat the rain home. Just as well as its 70miles of hard packed mud and gravel in the dry with a few very steep hills (20%) with tight turns and loadsa loose gravel. It was bad enough on the bits where a dust watering truck had driven along let alone in the heavy rain forecast and that is now falling from the sky and cleaning the bike. Pictures won't upload, so I will post a link or two, but Telegraph Creek is supposed to be the most remote community in Canada (it might actually just be British Colombia province) and is a "First Nation" community. I think that means they have some autonomy from the government over certain laws, certainly over land use, hunting, fishing, etc and some taxes (different priced fuel for First Nation and everyone else) and as far as I can tell covers a huge tract of land - like the size of half of Wales or something. There are lots of these communities in Canada. They do seem keen to preserve a way of life that is not very western, although cars, well, huge pick up trucks abound, as did satellite dishes, a tiny medical centre the RCMP and some other trapping of modern life, but in the community there was not really a lot that would attract outsiders: gas station, small food store, a closed cafe (Anne asked when did they open as it was about 11.30am when we got there, proprietor said July!! [​IMG] ) and not a lot else apart from rather ramshackle homes. As far as I could tell the cafe offered a couple of basic rooms and there was one B&B about 30km further down the track. I think the place comes to life a bit more later in the year when the salmon run as the place was mostly geared around fishing - the traditional way apparently with nets and gaffs. We did see some huge salmon in the river - 40lb+ would be my estimate but when the main run starts the river is chock full of them. However the day was mostly about the road down there and getting used to riding on gravel roads, which we did as I mostly did 20-35mph on the way out and 40-50 on the way back.
  5. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Now that I am back home I weighed all the stuff I carried on the bike and I was quite surprised at how much it added up to.

Here is how I had it loaded up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did try different placement for the Kelty Noah 16" tarp in a stuff bag and found it worked best on the back, attached to the rear of the dry bag above the rear fender.

The tank bag = 10 lbs.
    The dry bag with sleeping bag and clean clothes sat on rear of seat = 15 lbs.
    Spare fuel bag with gas = 9 lbs.
    On top of the headlight is the self inflating sleeping pad = 4 lbs.

Those were the weights mounted high on the bike, seat level up, and add up to 38 lbs.

Below seat level, right side, a blue bag that sat on the passenger foot peg and contained the camping stuff, two man tent, (2) 5x7 ground covers, hammock (never used), stakes, poles and para cords = 12 lbs.
    [​IMG]

Right side pannier held tools, repair manual in dry bag, Moto-Pump air compressor, and 12 v Jump Box = 9 lbs.

Left side pannier held more tools = 10 lbs.

Camera gear was in the yellow tool bag that sat on the left side passenger foot peg... for the first four days = 4 lbs.
    On the fifth day it slipped off the foot rest and drug along the asphalt tearing out the bottom and scattering my video camera and mounts along the highway. :cry
    The next time I stopped I saw what had happened and rode back a few miles to recover broken bits and pieces.
    Never found the video camera but i did find the protective cover it had been in, all ground up.

I also had small tank panniers mounted under the seat to sit on the side covers that held boot rain covers, trail mix, and a water bottle.

Finally, a dry bag catch-all for dirty/wet clothes that I strapped on different places on different days = 10 lbs.

The total came to 82 lbs!
    I would have bet it was no more than half that :eek1

The weight that really matters is the high CG items, things mounted above seat level and that was only 38 lbs and the fuel bag wasn't always carrying gas either.

On the Drifter that weighs over 700 lbs dry, the total weight was a small percentage of the total combined (with rider) weight.
    On a lighter bike the gear weight is going to be a much higher percentage of the total and will affect the handling of the bike much more.
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Interesting gas bag, is that still available and if so, where?
  7. JagLite

Oddometer:
  8. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I forgot!

If your bike requires premium gas, 91+, be sure to buy a bottle or three of Octane Boost.

Once you get out of town the number of place that have 91 or higher octane gas are almost non-existent.

In a few of the cities I passed through, the Shell stations had 94 octane gas while other stations had only 91.

But in the towns they often had 87, 89, & 90 octane if they had more than one choice.

Out of towns and along the long empty highways the small gas supply place only had 87 octane, if they had any gas at all.

I can't recommend one brand over another, I went with Lucus because they have been in business a long time, support racing, and might just have as good a booster as anyone else.

Of course none that I looked at gave you any guidance in how much to use....

The typical instructions might read:
    Uh, huh.
    That's pretty useless info.
    How about something we could actually benefit from?
    How many ounces to use per gallon of gas to raise the octane level one point????

So I just dumped some in every time I got gas and hoped for the best.

Some of the tiny, one pump places sold octane booster but don't count on it, carry your own.
  9. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out in the morning, two days later than hoped for, but certainly not an insurmountable problem. :D

Doing an in progress ride report here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1077464

Launch Configuration:

[​IMG]

My load out in the four bags is 66 pounds; 18 in the saddle bags, 23 for the drybag, 15 in the tank bag.
    Riding gear is about 20, another 10 pounds in tools on the bike, 200 for me and we're all-in at just under 300 pounds. Safely under the GVWR rating for the bike and tires. :evil

I'll be :wave to all the early departees.
  10. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Got back yesterday. Awesome trip, met more ADV'ers than I figured I would. High-sided on Denali Highway at the 120 mile marker in fresh soft gravel at high speed, broke a few ribs and my bike has a lot of damage but we both limped home the 5K mile return trip.

Many pics and details to come in a trip report I'll start sometime in the next week; need a few days just to relax first. Could easily write a book about this adventure...exploding rabbits, many accidents I heard/saw/participated in, interesting characters, gorgeous hitchhiking college girls, too many bears to count who walked right next to you but weren't menacing at all, scenery too beautiful to describe, and so many more things to cover. Packed much more than needed. Got to enjoy a few beers along the way and took a couple of days off in Valdez and Haines on the way back to rest the injuries and just sit and look at the mountains for hours.

Lots of incorrect information I heard here and other places...I'll elaborate in the upcoming trip report. Some information may have been correct a decade ago...and I think some of it is well made up by those that never actually did this trip in reality.

10,019 miles. Thousands of pictures. Fulfilled a couple of bucket list items. Simply f'ing awesome. If you are thinking about it, do it. This wasn't a ride or a trip. It was an adventure. Life changing journey. Just do it.
  11. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your trip report.
  12. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your report as I'm doing essentially the same trip next year. The planning has begun!
  13. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Glad you're ok....broken ribs hurt. They'll heal & the bike can be fixed.
    Anxiously waiting to hear about your trip, especially since mine got stopped too soon!
  14. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got home last night from 12,ooo kms through Alaska and Yukon, D2D was awesome. Met so many cool folks and ended up spending 4 days in Dawson, went to the artic circle. Will be working on a ride report in the future.
  15. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was on Telegraph Creek end of June and found it to be one of the best roads I did in my entire trip. It did rain a bit but I found the road was still good as it is hard pack and well graveled. The Salmon Glacier road at Hyder is another great one, you need to go past the main glacier lookout to the second glacier and mine site to get the full road. The last part was a bit hairy with a couple of rock slides to cross
  16. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a note to recommend Nordan Equipment at Telkwa BC. I stopped there and bought oil and a filter for my V Strom and they were very helpful in letting me change my oil in their Compound, this is getting harder to do all the time.
    As you drive through Telkwa they are the Suzuki/Husqvarna dealer right on the highway.
  17. Knobby Bob

Knobby Bob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got back home last week 24 days 10,500 miles from vermont through Canada to artic circle Alaska then to Valdez then home through Banff British Columbia then on through glacier np Montana then super slab home with my buddy Jim on his R1200gs and me on my v strom 650 awesome trip ! A+ for Dan at adventure cycle works, one self service gas stop on the alcan highway would only accept the new chip credit card or no fuel believe it was between Dawson creek and fort Nelson ? Then I had credit card fraud happen north of whitehorse Yukon at a north 60 petroleum express gas station store I believe these two guys I was talking to near the gas pump skimmed my card then charged about $200 shortly thereafter luckily credit card company picked up on it,had to cancel the card and use the spare one I had. be aware of sketchy people near you when using credit cards ! Heidenau k60 scout tires made the it the whole trip a worthy tire for this trip. Best of luck to any one doing this trip or thinking of it.....Awesome trip do it !
  18. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep the Ride Reports coming........for us Bozo's that only dream of making that Ride!! :eek1
  19. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

Looking forward to your report also.

KR
  20. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Be careful what you asked for. It has started. HERE

Also, I have asked the mods to change the title of this thread a little since there's so much great info in it. I've asked it to be changed to "Alaska Adventure Ride Information". We'll see if they'll oblige so there's one thread people can reference for good info.