Alaska Adventure Ride Information

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mastery, Aug 29, 2014.

1. hilljak

hilljak Hayseed

Oddometer:
    Not is Alaska, but for those of you making the trudge on Highway 97 in BC. Instead of Williams lake to Clinton... spice things up a bit, try the roads from Riske Creek (20 miles west of Williams Lake) through Gang Ranch and on down to Pavillon or Clinton. Absolutely a great ride! The North end is a bit of logging trucks, but about 10 miles in, it gets wonderful. Pay attention while making turns, roads are not marked very well and there are more than what appears on google maps. But hey, it's not city driving! If it's raining, all bets are off!:deal

Be safe out there!
  2. zoki1

zoki1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :evil:evil 24271km !!! Toronto -Key West -Vancouver-Prudhoe Bay-Toronto !!!!!
    A part from the Kid from Argentina on his Honda 125 , i Had the longest trip to D2D !!! 4 Moto Guzzi in total for the rally ..... Riding the fat Stella in Marc Comma style ... from Prudhoe bay to Coldfoot for 5 hours 15 minutes !!!!
    cheers !!!
  3. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    Somehow I missed this thread!
    I ran into Zoki1 at the D2D on my Stelvio. I did an 11 day ride from Castlegar BC (1743 km day one, from Castlegar to Stewart BC in 17.5 hours) to my first D2D for my 50th birthday, and then did the Dempster to Inuvik. My trip was around 9,000km total including my prerun of part of the Dempster on the Friday morning...went to visit my girlfriend already camping up the Dempster (with truck and trailer) and got a bit carried away blasting up the road at umm...could that have been 180kph? :evil on the hard packed stretches...lol. My Saturday trip up the Dempster took 9-1/4 hours, I stayed in Inuvik for 2 hours, turned around and headed South, then waited 5 hours for the first ferry at McKenzie Crossing. Riding time without the wait would have been about 20 hours, but I stopped in Tombstone Park and camped with my girlfriend for a day and a half (and climbed a mountain) before heading home.
    I had a trouble free ride, and other than some rain, and running in first gear in gumbo on the way back on a few stretches, it was awesome. I plan to be back up for the D2D next year, and to ride the Top of the World and through Alaska next time...and will do the Dempster again when they finish the road to the ocean!
    I am working on a short ride report.
  4. billiards101

billiards101 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I spoke with you at Eagle Plains, think it was on June 20th. Me and a buddy from South Dakota had just left D2D, I was on the blue GSA and he was on the Silver Black GS. I remember hearing your plans and thinking this guy is crazy:lol3 Glad you're trip went well, look forward to your trip report.
  5. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:

I do remember talking to you. It was hard to tell the hundreds of GSs apart though...lol. I was riding steady at 100kmh and under to conserve fuel, and let a bunch of bikes pass me, but once I stopped and added my spare fuel I had some fun and let 'er rip and re-passed everyone. That part of the road was in great shape. I didn't check out the bar at Eagle Plains...will have to go back to have a brew there and check out the decor.
  6. jrdinct

jrdinct n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My friend Bob and I left VT on 6/6 and I was back in CT on 6/29. 24 days and about 10,500 miles. I now have pictures and video to sort through and post. Awesome adventure! Go if you get the chance. Safe travels to all of you on the road!

Here's a link to a blog I had tried to keep updated: https://ridealaskawithus.wordpress.com/

Attached Files:

7. RefJeff

RefJeff Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob, it's me Jeff with the orange MG Stelvio. We talked at Adventure Cycleworks and again at Destruction Bay motel. Glad to hear you made it back safely.

I made it home on July 2nd.

My ride report can be seen here. It is still a work in progress.
  8. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Thread name has been changed. Figured the good info here shouldn't be limited to any one specific year.
  9. banjobart

banjobart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am back home to Michigan from Alaska Thursday July 16 after a month's riding, three weeks of it with a broken rib and collar bone. I hit some loose stuff at the edge of the road going about 30 MPH in the Canadian Rockies near Muncho Lake. It was worth the effort to finish the trip. Highlights were Skagway with the train, Valdez with the boat and a ride to the Arctic Circle. Hyder and the Salmon Glacier were visited on the return trip. Jac and I hit Banff and Jasper both on the ride up and ride down. On the return ride an astute Mountie gave us matching performance awards, for going 120 K and 130 K in a 90 K zone in Jasper. Jac was the best riding partner of all time; tireless, always cheerful and never complaining.
  10. banjobart

Oddometer:
    Jeff, I am glad that you made it back with a mind full of memories, Bart
  11. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    Ran into these three on their way to Deadhorse. I think they said in would be Aug. 9th before they got up there. Great guys!
    [​IMG]
  12. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you made it back safe. I still want to get together and check out your setup.
  13. Shizoku

Shizoku Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd add a bit to this thread. My buddy and I are in Fairbanks, posted up in the dorms at U of A Fairbanks. They were out of single rooms, which weirdly enough, are cheaper per person, than a double room. So they gave us each a double room for $38. Free wifi, free laundry, we've been eating free breakfasts, because the cafeteria folks are making breakfast for a youth group and the food is all there setup, we are eating and not being charged. There isn't anyone at any register anyway.
    $$$ for lodging has been cheap. 50/50 on motel vs camping dictated by wx. Camping s cheap, have needed no reservations, many places to choose from. $10-$20/nt for a campsite for two tents. Hotels were probably in the $60-$75 range, which we split, so per person average is under $40. Again no reservations are needed anywhere.
    Gas, we filled the Rotopax's at Smithers, not knowing how gas would be going further north. We haven't even come close to needing to touch the Rotopax. Tomorrow we leave for Coldfoot/Wiseman.
    Trip has been a blast. I even got a flat up on the TOW, thought I'd be in big trouble, but tire was plugged, and we were on our way.
    WX has been rain almost every day, no biggie, KLIM gear is worth the $$$ you pay for it. Kept us both bone dry.
    Highlights...Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground, near Nelson, BC is an absolute must. Stewart/Hyder/Salmnon Glacier is pretty cool. Get Hyderized. In Dawson go to the Downtown Hotel. If you like piano music, the little old guy will blow your socks off. And his story is unbelievable. Ex-concert pianist turned recluse, worth a listen.
    We are doing 250-350 miles a day. Post up around 2:30-3:00, relax with some campfire food/bier, or find a place to eat. If you push yourself, you'll find yourself missing what you came to see. It's about the ride remember, not miles.
    Oh, and we both had tires installed by Dan, at Adventure Cycleworks this morning. I also had my oil changed and chain serviced. He is awesome! And reasonable. And a character!

Dave In Valencia
    http://daveisontheroadagain.blogspot.com
  14. banjobart

Oddometer:
    Kudos to Dan at Adventure Cycle, too. He installed for me a new rear tire and gave the chain a clean and lube. I left the Super 8 in Fairbanks and was back at the motel in an hour! Fast and friendly. I like Dan's politics.
    Shizoku likes this.
  15. TravellingTartar

TravellingTartar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I've seen lots of videos of rides in Alaska and the Yukon but few of the ride home when, after the climax, let's admit it, we're sort of in a hurry to get back to a good home-cooked meal and a warm body. So I had this crazy idea of filming a timelapse of my eight day return ride from Whitehorse to Washington DC via Chicago, Toronto, Boston and New York. It's 5000 miles in about 3-1/2 minutes. Hope you enjoy it.
    Jim
    PS. I got back to Washington in mid-June - have decided to head back next year!

Maggot12 likes this.
  16. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fun!
  17. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    Knobby Bob! I was the guy you talked to (in the rain) on the New York State Thruway. It was your last pit stop before arriving home and one of my first for my trip. I completed the Trans Lab Loop in 12 days. Also a great trip. It looks like a whole bunch of us are headed to Tuk in 2017!
  18. TravellingTartar

TravellingTartar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, yup, I remember you. FYI, I might actually head up again next year (2016). What can I say, caught the bug!
  19. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming you mean...tok. see you for the 25th anniversary of D2D.
  20. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, Mastery, how about a list of what worked for you, what didn't, what you brought and didn't use, what you brought and to your surprise used a lot....what failed, what exceeded your expectations, you know, that sort of thing. I know on my trip ,after 7 days, if I hadn't used it once, it went in a box and I sent it home.

Never missed the crap I sent back.....except for some weird reason my tent footprint found its way into the box, dang it!