Alaska Bound !!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Elefant 900 Rad, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm flying into Anchorage since I need to use up an Alaska airlines flight. I will rent a dualsport for 9 days and tour Alaska, as much as I can see in that time. Anyone who's been there got suggestions on what I shouldn't miss, and what to avoid ? The gal at Alaska Rider Tours, where I'm renting the bike is being very helpful with my trip planning.

Thanks,
  2. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    With 9 days, I'd do top of the world highway to Dawson City for sure.
  3. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    9 days is enough time to drive every major hwy in Alaska.
    day 1...anchorage to Valdez to Glenallen
    day 2...Richardson Hwy..Glenallen to Delta Jnct. to Tok
    day 3...Top of the World...Tok to Dawson City
    see the dancing girls at Gerty's
    day 4...Top of the World...back to Tok the drive from Dawson to Whitehorse is boring
    day 5...Tok to Fairbanks Easy day visit The Yukon Quest headquarters or the Harley shop or Skinny Dicks
    day 6...The Haul Road near 500 mi. to Prudhoe
    At least go to Atigun Pass. No facilies so camp there and watch the sun come up.
    from fairbanks 192mi to AC
    251mi to Coldfoot
    321mi to Atigun
    so 70mi back to coldfoot or
    391 total back to a room
    day 7...Back down the Dalton to fairbanks
    day 8...Hwy 3...Fairbanks to Anchorage
    past Denali which is beautiful in the am if no fog
    day 9...South onto the Kenai maybe to Homer for
    for lunch then back to Anchorage

That's about 300mi per day exceptthe Dalton

Hey native Alaskans did I leave anything out?

Uncle Dick
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    When you gonna be here, Randy? Some of our state is going to have some fairly unpleasant riding weather in the next month or two.

Summer in Deadhorse is short.
  5. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    I am flying into Anchorage August 20th, picking up a V-Strom 650 from AKrider on Sunday. I've been talking with GusGus, and think I'll head south to Seward, take the ferry to Valdez, head north to to Kennicott and McCarthy, then up to Tok, then to Fairbanks, up the Dalton Hwy. hopefully to Atigun Pass, then turnaround (I'll skip Deadhorse this time). Back down past Fairbanks, across the Denali Hwy, to Glennville, across the Glenn Hwy back to Anchorage, and hopefully be able to meet GusGus and ride the Willow to Palmer Pass with him. I return the bike and fly out of Anchorage on the 29th. How does this route sound ? Any suggestions ? I want to see as much awesome scenery and good riding as possible, without rushing it too much. I want to enjoy the ride. I am not going into Canada this time, I'll save that for another time when I ride all the way up from California. I think 300 miles a day is probably a good estimate...good mileage to cover, but also think enough time to enjoy it.

Thanks a lot,
    Randy
  6. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Corrected to reflect actual weather forecast. :vardy

About mid-August last year, I met and chatted with a Strommer from the lesser 48 who had been here for a month and was planning to spend another 6 weeks....I told him that there wasn't 6 weeks of riding left in most of the state. Mind you it was 70F and sunny when I told him this.
    4 weeks later in mid September the BMW club did their ride from Anchorage to Fairbanks, the whole trip was chilly, temps were about 30F in Cantwell and the riders who went to Fairbanks got snowed on on the way back. I hope he got out in time.
    There isn't much of a fall here-it's like someone throws the winter switch. Late August should still be good, but will historically be wet, so be prepared for that.
  7. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Aas for the route, about the only road you left out was Petersville road, goes in off the Parks 30+ miles and right into the foothills of Denali. You and GusGus and maybe even some of the rest of us could possibly squeeze that into the Hatcher Pass ride.
    For $12, you can ride through the 2.5 mile long tunnel and see Whittier, the homeliest town in Alaska.
    Other than that I think you'll hit the high points. Enjoy the trip.
  8. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the additional route. I would like to meet anyone who lives up there, from ADVrider. Would be great to go for a ride, or at least meet for a beer, preferably BOTH !! I'll PM you with my phone number, or give me yours and I'll call you if it's OK. Where do you live ? Who else from here lives locally ?

Thanks A LOT !!
    Randy
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Gus has you set up for riding. That'll be a nice run. That run over the top from Hatcher Pass to Willow is a great little rip and a local riding buddy by the name of friar mike knows damn near everything about that mining district back through there.

Make sure Gus doesn't hog that run through there to himself and con friar into coming along too. When the weather's right that stretch is absolutely beautiful and when the weather's bad it's stunning. :rofl

You in, 5? When things get closer I'll tell where the big hand and the little hand should be so you don't have to deal with that confusing 9-ish / 10-ish thing.

You pretty comfy when the road goes bad, Randy? The run that Gus has you on will require a tad more skill than a quick run up the 5 to the 78 and down the 15. :lol3
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Just took a look at your profile. I'm thinking that this run might be just right for you.

I loooove to quote myself! Watch close... I'll axe me another. :1drink

11. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Legion, lookie here and maybe it will answer your question :D

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89687

Look forward to hooking up with you guys !! GusGus says he may be doing another endurance run the weekend of the 27th, so hopefully I can meet you and KL5A, and GusGUs and Friar Mike also.
  12. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can see two problems with your plan:
    1) Gusgus
    2) Frier Mike

One thinks 300 miles is when you stop for a coffee break and the other thinks 300mph on gravel is about cruising speed.

Well mabe rain in late August too.

It sounds like a great trip Rad. Those two guys will take good care of you.
  13. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey,,,, which one am I?
  14. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Judging by your ride report, I think you're both !! :rofl

Let me know if you're going to do that endurance ride the weekend of 27th-28th.

Randy
  15. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Well I don't drink coffee:puke2
  16. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    My bike doesn't go 300 mph so it must be Friar.:oscar
  17. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    I can't do 300 miles between pit stops and 300 mph is a bit faster than my normal cruising speed, but if the timing works I'm up for catching the group for a run over Hatcher and out Petersville. Keep me posted!
  18. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    Cool. I'm trying to get a bike to the left-coast in time to meet put together a ride up the Dalton highway to as close to Prudhoe as we can get (I hear you need a reservation). At any rate.. we hope it does not go to shizzile on us when we get up there.

I'm pulling the DualStar heates off my super bike and getting them prepped for the GC. Man I hope I can get it out there in time (I still might fly to OH just so I KNOW the bike will be there as quickly as possible.

Any tips for someone riding up from the lower 48?
  19. KL5A

Oddometer:
    I'm open for the run, if it falls on a weekend, Saturday or Sunday. Might even get my lazy ass out of bed :bueller .

So I'll throw this out there for the troops-amass at Carrs in Palmer, run up Fishook to over the pass, maybe make a side trip up to the giant hole in the mountain with the string hanging out of it, turn right at Willow, gas up at the Y in Talkeetna, up Petersville road to at least the Roadhouse and beyond if we care to. Better pack a lunch. Could be a full day's ride!
  20. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Riding to Alaska and back to the lesser 48?
    I'm thinking you might want to get it in gear. We are in August now and snow could be in the mountians at almost any time. Atigun is ify after the 12th to the 13th, I am told. But there are always windows which remain open.
    Keep in touch and we can assist in many ways.
    Best of luck to you.
    Gusgus