Alaska Bound !!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Elefant 900 Rad, Jul 17, 2005.

1. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Het Foto, are you the guy who bought the Gran Canyon?

Lucky skunk if you are, we'll have to meet up just so I can see it.
  2. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    We are going to do the ride (as of right now) on the 27th.
    The 28th? I'll won't be worth much. Sorry Randy.
    I'll let you know more before you leave as to my solid plans.
    Gusgus
  3. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    KL5A. AKrider, Legion and Northrider, I'd like to plan on the Petersville ride as KL5A mentioned above, on Sunday, August 28th, if you're all up for it !! I would plan on doing this if y'all can make it. Sounds like GusGus and Friarmike are doing an endurance run the day before, so they will not be able to make this.

If you don't mind, please PM me your phone numbers so I can stay in touch before I come out there, and then I'll have to call you from the road before meeting up with you.

Question: I have to turn the bike in to Alaska Rider Tours on Monday the 29th by 6:00pm. If we do this ride, will I be able to get a good day of riding in on Monday the 29th and see more stuff, before having to turn the bike in at Anchorage. Like maybe down towards Homer and then back to Anchorage ?? Or any other suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Or are there any "Must See" touristy type stuff I should see in Anchorage before I head home ?

Hope you all can make it and I'm looking forward to it !!

Thanks,
    Randy L.
    San Diego, CA
  4. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Maybe this link will help. I use this site on a regular basis when I'm driving/riding out of town, especially in the winter.:vardy
    http://511.alaska.gov/
  5. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Vagabond, you want to join us on the ride, if it happens ? We can have our own ADVrider ride !! PM me if you want.

Thanks,
    Randy
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    I would love to join your ride, but there are two small issues.
    1. New bike on order, won't be here until early/mid September:2cry
    2. Work schedule may interfere (I usually work six days a week until the ground freezes:whip. But if it's raining.....)
    I will do my best to join you guys. Don't count me out.:beer
  7. KL5A

Oddometer:
    It's going to be tough to get all the way to Homer and back by 6, but you should be able to get to Cooper Landing and back by 6 pretty easy, and the stretch for Anchorage to Cooper landing is much more interesting than the run from Cooper Landing to Homer, it kind of flattens out from there. You could also hit Seward in that time frame. Or, you could leave your hotel really early....
    :deal
  8. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Thanks, KL5A. I'll be going from Anchorage to Seward and then the ferry ride from Seward to Valdez the first day (that's if I can get a ferry at that time).

So, it sounds like if we do our ride on Sunday, I'll head south of Anchorage on Monday as far as I can, then head back to return the bike.

THANKS !!

Rad
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    ...there's always Hope. :lol3 The bonus is there's fresh pavement and if you go in and see none of our ticket writing friends and then come back out and see none of our ticket writing friends, it's time to turn back around for a high speed rip to Hope w/ no chance of getting popped. :evil
  10. KL5A

Oddometer:
  11. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    Um, I hate to be a wet blanket but there is no ferry from Seward to Valdez. You will need to go from Whittier to Valdez. It's not far from Seward to Whittier, but a long wait if you are in the wrong place.
  12. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Hah! Details. :rofl
  13. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Yep, thanks for the info. GusGus sent me the link to the Marine Hwy. site, and I verified you are correct. The ferry from Whittier to Valdez, and reverse direction, are not on good dates for me, so I think I'll have to pass this time. I guess I just have to ride all the way on this trip.....what a drag :lol3

What do you all think about doing the Hatcher Pass / Petersville ride on Sunday, August 21st instead of the 28th ? This way GusGus and Friar Mike "might" be able to make it. Will this work better for everyone, IF you're interested in doing the ride with us ?

I pick up the bike in Anchorage Sunday morning, so doing this ride on Sunday sounds like a good plan. Then I would head points north afterwards.

Thanks,
    Randy L.
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I just made the run over the top yesterday and it was beautiful. Little cool up high.
  15. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    GUYS?

Are you out there? Anyone?

I was hoping a couple of Gruver ambassadors would step up? In case I can't make the dates Randy needs.

Phone numbers? Contact info for him? Maps, the name of your pets, what color socks you wear.

Inquiring Randy wants to know.

If none of you can take the time, let me know ASAP and I will request that Friar change our Iron Butt Ride schedule. That is if Randy decides to ride local on the 28th. As it is a possible 21st ride there should not be any trouble with my involvement

Gusgus
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    pssst. i think he's axin if you and friar can make it if he swaps dates. his plans have already been tweaked by das boot.
  17. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    I am open for whatever works for everyone else, if a few of you really can make the ride.

For me, doing it on the 21st might actually work better, but I can make it work on the 28th also. From another thread, I think dSmitty, the gal riding to AK from Colorado, would also like to meet and ride with a few of you, but I don't know what you've all talked about with her. It would be awesome if we all met, rode with her on the same weekend, but I don't think I would center my plans around her arrival to Anchorage. She's got a long way to go, and I have no idea when she'll make it to your area.

I am still waiting on feedback to who thinks they actually want to do this ride. If it ends up only a couple of you, great, but if nobody can make it, then I will do it by myself. Judging by what all of you have said, and Snowrider sent me an e-mail (the guy who just rode through AK) saying Hatcher is a must do. :deal

So, as far as I'm concerned, whoever wants to do this, then I am open as to whether it's the 21st or the 28th, whatever is more convenient and will entice more of you out for the ride. I think it would be great, posting a bunch of photos of us on ADVrider, from our own, Alaska one day ride !! :D

Thanks,
    Randy L.
  18. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    I had to reword the last post.....even if only a couple of you can make it, that would be great.......but the more, the better !!
  19. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    For the 21st? I'm in!
    Hatcher, Petersville and Talkeetna it is if'n Randy is here and ready to ride. I'll be ready.
    Friar you in?
    Legion?
    KL5A?
    Vagabond?
    Anybody would be welcome, and we will ride the roads.

Got the idea,,,,, Legion, thanks man................
  20. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    HI Guys,
    I would like to go too, please!!! I am hoping if all goes well I will just aim to get my ass to Anchorage in time. But, like Randy said I am not sure how fast I will be going?? I would like to enjoy my ride through Canada. If I make it, great, if not, just another excuse to ride yet, another day!! I am on a Vstrom, so I am not sure the ride you guys are planning? Hopfully, I can doddle along, eating your dust, taking in the scenery...

Smitty