Alaska Bound !!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Elefant 900 Rad, Jul 17, 2005.

1. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    affirmtive:thumb

2. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like GusGus and FriarMike are in for the 21st. I will plan on meeting you guys Sunday morning after I pick up the bike from the shop at 8:00am. As long as I'm not hungover from the night before :1drink :D
    I figure it will take me an hour to load up the bike and secure my gear on it, etc. Then head up to meet you both for the ride.

Sounds AWESOME !! Hope some of the others can make it !!

PS- What's the name of that big, famous bar in Anchorage ? I think I must stop there before heading to the motel. My motel (Lakeshore Motor Inn) is around the corner from the AK rider shop. So, how far is that bar from there ?

GusGus, I'll be in touch with you by phone as we get closer to my departure from San Diego.

Randy L.
  3. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    Looks like the 21st it is. Sounds like fun, count me in. Randy, I'll PM you with a contact number for me.
  4. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the bar you're talking about is Chilkoot Charlie's. Your hotel is just off of Spenard road. You will want to head down Spenard past AK Rider and the Harley shop. Keep going down Spenard Rd past Minnisota Drive, 36th, Benson and then Northern Lights. Once you go through the light at Northernlights look for a white windmill ahead on your right. That is the parking lot for 'Koots'. Have fun. :D
  5. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Smitty, You might suggest your schedule, and timing. Are you going to be in Anchorage on the 21st?

We will convene at the Rancho Gusgus on the 21st. at around 11:00am. OK???? All the Ish rules apply!

The Rancho Gusgus is in Big Lake 9 miles North of Wasilla.

For info sake, I am in the BMW anonymous book in Big Lake.

So be early or be left behind.

Anyone who would like a map please PM me and I will submit. OOOOOH! that sounds wrong. OK I will send directions, Thats better.

I will have cold drinks and warm coffee. The weather will dictate the temp of the drinks.

Then it is off to the Alaskan wilds! YIPPPPEEEEE!

Dsmitty, don't be concerned , we wouldn't ride off and leave you. It is after all a ride for the view, pictures will be taken of all mishaps and publically posted here with all the glory we know you would appreciate. So be here and ready to group up.

No matter the weather (except snow) we are riding. Even below freezing.

Ride we must
    ride we will
    across the road
    up the hill

heading north
    our scoots will be
    around the bend
    past the tree

the view is right
    the road is great
    a sun so bright
    Hatcher, our bait

up to the pass
    across the hill
    then down we go
    to river spills

A road of tar
    again North bound
    Avoiding cars
    Moose around

Turn left we will
    aim for the Forks
    to Petersville
    see Alaskan dorks

A lunch to have
    a laugh also
    Time for the lav
    and off we go

Back to black
    Talkeetna bound
    A right we lack
    till a cut off we found

The town is old
    The people too
    blue hairs are bold
    a pretty view

dinner is good
    as time will be
    eat we should
    head home I see

The pics loaded
    a post or 2
    remember who floated
    remember who flew

New friends have come
    having now left us
    no friendships done
    just post Gusgus........................:topes :2cry :dunno :confused :poser
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I'm in!... at least for the bump over the top. Not certain about the Petersville / Talkeetna part but it sounds like a hoot.

That bar though. It could be Chilkoots or it might be The Bush, no?
  7. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    IN. :thumb

I mean I seem to have infected Elefant with the idea to see the Forks Roadhouse so the only decent thing to do is ride, sally ride!

We could also meet up somewhere between Anchorage and casa de GusGus, some place easy to find along the highway, for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with the area. Wasilla is blessed/cursed with all manner of Big Box Stores all of which have large signs and big parking lots....Wally World, Lowes, Sears, etc, and take it from there.

Smitty-if you miss the big party, all is not lost. Someone is almost always up for a ride and the local area is a target-rich environment. Do you like old gold mines, fossils, coal mines, cold war ruins, or fresh battered halibut and prawn baskets? We got it all here in southcentral.

Elefant (and other lurkers)-I've filed many ride reports both here on advrider and on dualsportuk as "Gnomad"....search those for inspiration. Consider it a Christmas catalog if you will. And as always, ask away, someone here has probably been there.
  8. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    OOOOHHH!
    The BUSH, you might be right.
    But we can't speak of those places.
    Smitty is much more feminine than we are used to this far North.
    We all need to watch our manners.
    Dress better and bathe early. Like this month would be good.
    Maybe I'll even scrape my teeth.
  9. KL5A

Oddometer:

Except snow? Speak for yourself, big guy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    :rofl :vardy :rofl
  11. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Electric stuff is good!! :vardy
  12. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Sounds like this ride is coming together, ALRIGHT !!!!

Chilkoot Charlie's is the bar I was thinking of, but now you got me curious.......gotta look up "The Bush" on the internet.

Rad
  13. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    The Great Alaska Bush Company
  15. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    The "BUSH" Company gave it away, that's what I figured. Don't think I'll go there, I would just get myself in trouble :evil

Chilkoot Charlie's sounds like fun. A friend in Seattle, lived in Anchorage for 5 years and worked there, he said I gotta check it out :freaky

Any of you from ADVrider live in Anchorage, want to meet me there Saturday night (20th) ?? My flight comes in at 11:30pm.

Rad
  16. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should be rebounding from Prudhoe on the 23rd. I will rip with ya after that.
  17. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    gus gus,
    Thanks for the concern, Your right I am feminine! I do carry my mascara into the backcountry when I go out. But, I am much tougher then I look, and I am very good at going with the flow...

So, if you boys need to throw some dollars at some Alaskan Beaver, lets go and help support the economy!!! I'm always game if you are....

See you boys soon,

Smitty
  18. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

I am leaving denver on the 13th, up to Yellowstone, into Canada, and across to Alaska...my time frame?? Not sure exactly, this a new bike and I am not sure the miles I will get done on it. I will have a better guess after the first few days, so I will back to you. I will try to get there by the 21st, but if not could we plan another ride to get all the ADVriders together?? I was thinking about making Anchorage my base and doing a few days here and there. It is my understanding I could hit snow, and I don't think I like to ride in snow!!! Especially with the stock tires on!! Maybe I will need to buy some nobbies in AK...I thought I might be able to sit a few days of snow out and go in between? I am sure you guys will be able to help me out with the best way to approach once I get there.

Smitty
  19. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    oh boy here we go:pui

20. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Hey Smitty here's a guide....

You'll want to be headed back south by mid September, to be on the safe side. Winter comes as early as the beginning of October and sometimes as late as mid to late November, but you don't want to count on that, given the trend of the last couple of winters.
    If you get snowed in at Anchorage, you can figure that it's much worse farther north-and if that happens you might not be riding home. I ride locally in snow (with studded knobbies) but would be really uneasy about trying to ride the highway out like that. The plus side? Relative safety from early snow is no more than 2 days hard riding away. If it looks bad, you can run south and nobody will think less of you for doing that.
    So, unless you really tarry here in the southcentral area, I think you're safe.