Alaska Bound !!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Elefant 900 Rad, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Um, yeah. I'm not allowed in that establisment anymore :dunno Otherwise I would meet you there. :freaky
  2. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I must say Smitty
    You are living in the wrong time and wrong place. It seems you should have been an Alaskan for quite some time, if my first inpression is even close to right.
    You sound like a great gal and like you will do wonderfully except with the mace. There are some of the men here that it will just make horny. So unless you have some abhorrent ideas,, guns do better to fend off a sourdough. (Men who are sour on Alaska but don't have the dough to leave) And the old swift kick works well for regular guys.

But I have given, stuffed and lost enough money at places like the Bush to feel accomplished in supporting the life styles of many a nicely equipped lady.

They earned each and every one as far as I am concerned.

Now on to your ride here in the frozen north.

KL5A is wise beyond his years, a bit of a risk taker (if you have seen the snow riding pics) So his ideas should be sound. But as all guesses go, they are just guesses. It might not snow until November, or it could snow next week. I've seen both, so gamble on brave lady and we will see you here.

I will of course need a complete comparison of the weestrom and KLR, inquiring mind kind of thing.

Ride safe, contact us when you arrive.

Gusgus
  3. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Vagabond, since you're not allowed in Charlie's (you must've been baaaaaaaaaaddd), if you want to meet for a beer somewhere else, close to there or my motel, let me know. I'm staying at the Lake Shore Motor Inn Saturday night. I'll get a cab from the airport, go drop off my stuff at the room, then go out on the town !! :D

I can't get too crazy though, need to get to the motel by say, ohhh, 2:00-3:00am the latest :eek1 :1drink

I'll make sure I get some sleep on the flight up.

Rad
  4. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for all the info...I hope everyone is doing there "nice weather dance", if not I have everything that could possibly be heated!! I plan on using Anchorage as base, so I guess worse case, I think I could ride the ferry down to Seattle where a couple ADVrider folks have offered shelter and tours! I have no intention of doing the studded nobbies adventure...I will say I am up for pretty much anything, but I am a big chicken when it comes to snow, unless I am on skis or snow shoes!!! I know, sissy girl, but I can't be tough about everything, what would that leave for you guys to prove yourselves with!!!

Smitty
  5. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Mace?:brow
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Mace... the only condiment that gives me a boner. :evil
  7. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    HA! Now that is funny! :getiton
  8. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Well, I was in my early twenties, and the incident involed a pint glass, a bartender, and some harsh language. Don't remember what I said, but it must have been what got me 86ed:ban . Yeah, that must have been it.:scratch
  9. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Vagabond, can we talk you into meeting Saturday night to make a stop at the Bush Company ? I was told by one of the members here, I must at least go check out the........uhhh, building, the old log building and what they've done with the place.....yeah, yeah, that's it !! :rofl

I'm getting picked up at the airport by another generous, thoughtful ADVrider Saturday night, one of "them, there Alaskans" :freaky

Rad
  10. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    Count me in. I love the arcitecture of that place :evil
    What time again?
  11. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you take Mace into Canada? Some check that out and see if it is on the NO-NO list when crossing the boarder.
  12. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    Also, what about knives, I have a very little pocket knive I mainly use for tinkering. But, I can't carry it on planes anymore? So, I know this might be a silly question, but do they search you crosssing the Canadan border, or is it like Mexico, you just drive over? I am sure I can stash this knife undetected, but do I really need to? I can't even get mace around here, so I am not too worried about that at this point...
  13. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Small pocket knives and Leatherman type tools are fine.
    They might search us on the way in but you never know, I've been waved through and I've had my bike gone over pretty good.

It will be worse coming back into the US. :nod
  14. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Smitty, I think you mentioned heading to Jasper/Banff/Kananaskis and doing the Icefield Parkway right?

There's a great little town called Waterton just on the Canadian side of the border (nice small quiet border crossing), plenty of good places to stay, nestled at the base of a mountain range a'la Telluride.
    It's on the other side of this swank hotel.

[​IMG]

Anyhow, I did it coming back but heading up you'd have about a days ride to say, Jackson Hole, then another days run to Waterton, that'll set you up for a nice run up to Banff taking in Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, and Lake Louise.

Most of the road up to Banff is open range and the goats like the salt on the road :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can hike a glacier...

[​IMG]

...camp on the Athabasca...

[​IMG]

...run the parkway...

[​IMG]

...and visit Athabasca Falls, all in one day.

[​IMG]

Which ever way you go you'll have a blast.
  15. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Ant,
    That look Amazing...I am still wrenching on my bike a bit, trying to get a skid plate and crash bars on...I got my givi bags, handguards, electrical, and center stand on yesterday!!

I am done with messing with all this, I want to ride, but that will be here before I know it...tomorrow ,morning bright and early...

I will for sure ride that it looks awesome, thanks for the pics
  16. AntWare

Oddometer:
    you're welcome.

Word of advice, if you're trying to smuggle anything over the border, hide it on the bike.

I've seen what you look like...you're getting frisked :lol3
  17. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    I can't turn down a man in uniform, especially those Canadan Mounties!! I was counting on a good frisking!!! Be the most action I've seen in a while!!!!

Don't worry, I am very law abidding, no contraband being brought over the border!!
  18. AntWare

Oddometer:
    :D

When you get get to Alaska your odds will be good :deal
    but there's a high chance the goods will be odd :lol3

Take care and enjoy yerself...I'll be sat at work (sucks) eagerly awaiting daily reports :type
  19. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Guess I'm packing my uniform in the saddlebags.......see ya on the road, Smitty !! :evil
  20. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    dSmitty, have a great, safe trip on the way to AK. Hope you have good weather. When you get to Alaska, remember to look for me out on the roads. I'll be on a V-Strom also, and be wearing a white helmet.

I don't think I'll have trouble spotting you, a woman riding solo on a V-strom. :D

Hope we get a chance to meet and ride !!

GOOD LUCK !!