Alaska Bound !!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Elefant 900 Rad, Jul 17, 2005.

1. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Having seen Randy in action, I know the man can rail. Sounds like he's having a quality Alaska experience!!

As always, ride safe. :ricky
  2. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    So yesterday I did the Denali Hwy.(dirt) and made it to Meiers Lake motel (more
    rain) at 11pm. I had rain on the Denali, and stopped at a motel/bar in the
    middle of nowhere. Ran into 3 other guys from Sacramento area, who were renting
    KLR's from the same place I rented the wee-strom. Had a couple of beers with
    them at the Sluice box.

The Denali was awesome, I rode til 11:00pm, wet, and got a nice motel for $100
    for the night. I realized the front tire on the wee-strom wasn't going to make
    it for another 1000 miles, so I called Phil at AKrider and told him my dilemma.
    He tried calling around to find me a tire close by, but the best option ended
    up being he ride out the blue wee-strom for 120 miles from Anchorage, I ride 70
    miles out of my way, and we swap bikes. I met him at Eureka Lodge, we swapped
    out the rear wheels (my tire was better than the one on the other bike), the
    new bike had a good front tire, so off I go. I am getting a free extra day
    rental for the hassle. Thumbs up to AKrider !! I may even extend my trip
    another extra day, want to see more up here !!

Everything is going great, awesome scenery, wildlife and people along the way.

I'm off to Chicken and Top of the World Hwy. and maybe to Dawson City in
    Canada.

Talk to ya soon,
    Rad

Move To: (Choose Folder) SentMail Trash

Back to: Inbox

Help
  3. FRANKtheMACHINE

FRANKtheMACHINE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn you, you are making me want to go back to AK and I don't have the time!!! Considering road quality, etc do you think the strom is the right bike for the job up there? When I was there we had a little imported cage that got so beaten to shit I was amazed the rental place took it back. Would you want to be riding anything else?

As I recall this is the end of the fishing season up there but there are still some nice salmon to be had. At the very least it could be an inexpensive but great dinner plan...

BTW,I hear you about high hotel prices - no mercy.

Ride on dude, and post some more pics when you get a chance. Don't wrestle the bears!
    J.
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I'm going salmon fishing tomorrow evening... and I will be lucky. :evil

You'd have a hard time getting consensus wrt which bike is the right tool but if you did get to pick it'd be hard to go wrong w/ a 12GS, no ABS and a fresh set of Anakees.

It's capable of triple digits, it's comfy, has tubeless tires, is reliable over long distances, and it has a very low "yeah, but" factor.
  5. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Hey All, I am home in San Diego after 11 days and 3877 miles of spectacular, awesome, fantastic, incredible riding, scenery and meeting many new people and making new friends !! Words cannot describe the adventure !!

The V-Strom actually worked GREAT !! That bike was fun, and it handled all the main dirt roads without a problem. I was pleasantly surprised with that bike, and the comfort is excellent !! The only issue is poor ground clearance; I tried going down some 2-track jeep trails and it was bottoming out too much, so I had to turn back. It is definitely not the KTM 950 or my Elefant, but it works great for the main dirt roads and pavement in Alaska !! Plus, it too is capable of triple digits........it cruised comfortably at 80 to 100+ at times (not that I would do that too often with a rental)...DOH !!

I need to sit back and contemplate the whole trip, and start working on a trip report soon. I will be thinking about this trip for a LONG time.

Tonight, I'm going to Thursday Night Pizza/Beer/Bike night with my friends and showing off my 300+ photos from the trip.

Talk to you soon, and it was great meeting GusGus, Friarmike, Legion, KL5A and Fugawi.......and thanks for your hospitality and taking me riding on my first day !!

Rad
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a good time, Rad. I hope you squeeked a few clear and hot days in amongst the moist ones.

See you next time... maybe on the D2D?
  7. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    I think I only had 3 or 4 out of 11 days with no rain. The other days, it pretty much rained on/off, with never a full day of rain (fortunately). The rain on the Dalton Hwy. and Denali Hwy. just added to the overall adventure !

Rad
  8. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Hey All, I'm finished with the Alaska Trip Write-Up under the Ride Reports section (Rad's Awesome Alaska Adventure).

Moosekiller, sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you. I called you my last night, you weren't in, so I continued south, decided I needed to ride more and see Homer.

Northrider, same thing, I didn't have time to meet anyone in Anchorage my last night.

Barb at Alaska Leather, I didn't have time to stop by, since I rode til the last minute I had left before turning in the bike to Alaska Rider.

I'm sure I will be back sometime. The trip was unforgettable to say the least.

E-9-R