Alaska-Canada 2018 - Let's Share on the Road Updates

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Trasch, May 2, 2018.

1. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_6446.JPG Ok, I've got a road update... Today on the Dalton, leaving coldfoot was real nice, temps were in the mid 60's blue skies in the early afternoon. Atigun pass, Brooks range beautiful. About 120 miles from Coldfoot is a nice greasy wet section from construction, it doesn't last long but it will get your attention. Temps drop quite a bit towards Deadhorse. And of course the last 40-50 miles into Deadhorse is a lot of deep gravel that isn't all that bad but today the wind is whipping good and strong. The wind was trying to push our bikes off the road. My Dad did great on his GS. It's still very windy here in Deadhorse, the windows in our shipping container, I mean hotel room are getting pounded, lol. Have fun.
    fastpast, Bigbob1, twowings and 10 others like this.
  2. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Alberta took it up a notch. I faced the first dark clouds of the trip finding my way out of “Hays Maze” where the Bow and Oldman rivers form the South Saskatchewan river. Surrounded by large rivers there was no way to avoid getting pelted with what felt like pointy hail on bare skin through the Klim suit. I thread the needle between dark clouds towards Kannanaskis to avoid another dose. There was a motorcycle deer strike and the passenger was laying in the middle of the road with an off duty ICU nurse. Vehicles ahead just kept driving by.. I stopped to warn traffic and hold the lemmings back until the police and paramedics arrived. The rider walked away and it sounds like the passenger would be ok. I got the last spot at the campground and offered to share with a young German exchange student on a budget motorcycle trip. We camped an extra day due to rain and he had a lot of tasty fresh food which is great except when in bear country! I made it to Canmore by Spray lake then through Powderface trail to Dutch creek. There I met up with inmate @powderzone who has a more detailed ride report of our ride since here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WATCH OUT FOR DEER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 2 for a total of 920 km’s, did Haines to Tok today to grab the ambulance at the Thompson’s Eagle Claw campground
  4. Trasch

Trasch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If in Valdez I definitely recommend taking the Mineral Creek Road side trip as shown on the Butler maps. They are correct when they say not to be missed. You can ride out about 6-7 miles before the trail is washed out by a landslide. A few water crossings, mud and loose rocks but a lot of fun and amazing scenery.

Rode to McCarthy today and then onto Tok.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  5. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first trip up I too hooked up with a young man from New Zealand who had bought a old shitbox Camry and was driving around up north. We shared campsites for a few nights. It’s super easy to keep meeting the same person up there. FYI....I believe a extra tent on site at hi- country in Whitehorse is 5 buxs,a bargain and it’s a fantastic place.

A member here had his card skimmed for thousands in eagle plains a few years ago. And for everybody saying to contact the state troopers, feds, ect to report the skim from the gold rush......it’s canada people, RCMP is the local law up there. Contact them so they are aware.

I have stayed at the gold rush without incident.
    CavReconSGT, Bike Nomad and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  6. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. How were the roads?
  7. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    8911BABC-085E-4C6D-947A-B6C2A1D97C5A.jpeg 0FA4379C-7913-4B38-AA58-EA81403F0F49.jpeg Sam’s Sourdough, Fairbanks. New K60 on the bike. Life is good.
  8. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a road report but it looks like we are going to see some decent weather here in Valdez after the weekend. This summer the weather has been craptastic so far, very few days of sun. If your schedule is flexible enough around the 4th would be a good time to be here.
    eemsreno, rubline, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  9. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope to make it to McCarthy next summer with a fellow inmate.
    rubline and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  10. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent a day and a half in McCarthy and the rain drove me out. It is definitely a destination. Kennicott mine and Glacier, downtown, and tours, some being guided up to the mines, out to the Glacier, and whitewater rafting on the river. This is not just a dead end, do nothing town. Bring your wallet.
    slane6, Bigbob1, Hi-De-Ho and 2 others like this.
  11. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished Coldfoot to Fairbanks in the rain, pretty greasy. They do a good job on that road keeping it together. Love my traction control.

Some say a bike will never be the same after riding on the Dalton. That’s cute

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  12. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Well my epic trip is most likely done for now

I've just ridden over 8000kms of mostly TCAT from Quebec to BC in 3 weeks. After completing my planned portion of the TCAT to head north towards Alaska a rear bearing disintegrated on the Yellowhead Hwy. I failed to stop before the hub and rotor were damaged. I did suspect something and inspected the rear wheel on the center stand about 100kms before. A mechanic installed a fresh chain only 228kms before and 2 mechanics and myself were looking at this wheel for about 30 mins (we didn't remove wheel to check the bearings unfortunately, it was Saturday long weekend after all)

Some locals graciously helped me get to a hotel in Burns Lake and offered to take me fishing this afternoon. They have also provided contact info for the local machinist and towing company. There's not much else I can do on Sunday of a long weekend. Maybe I can source parts from the States on Monday but with the hub damaged I'm afraid my best option may be to get a tow to Prince George and request the shop that changed the chain to store the bike until we can source parts. I would fly from Prince George to Alaska for work and then return when the bike is repaired...

Very disappointed that I can't think of another solution for now but fishing this afternoon with locals will be nice.

[​IMG]
    Remnants of the rear brake side wheel bearing

[​IMG]
    Damage to the hub where the bearing should be (pieces of disintegrated bearing inside the hub)

[​IMG]
    Damage to the calliper mount next to the failed bearing

[​IMG]
    Damage to the calliper pin from the moving rotor (rotor is also damaged)

[​IMG]
    Failed bearing seal on the sprocket side
  13. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What bike is this on?
  14. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    2014 F800GS. I'm now looking for a used rear wheel.

I might be able to get a U-Haul truck tomorrow morning
    CavReconSGT, rubline and bobw like this.
  15. advmoto66

advmoto66 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Pics on the Dalton of the dirty bike or it never happened. Glad you made it with no issues. Nice ride.
    Sbushong1, Gordon and slane6 like this.
  16. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    That damage is all ugly but (from the photos) I don't see any of it as terminal. If the surfaces where the bearing and any spacers should seat are undamaged or still dimensionally correct, replacement bearings can be installed and you are back in business. Clean up any burrs and replace the brake pad pin when you are able but if bearings are available locally, I think you could continue your trip fairly easily. If it's not perfect but still rideable, ride it! You are looking for a used rear wheel anyway
    Millwright98, rubline and jackalsour like this.
  17. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Going fishing with locals soon this afternoon

Will call @woody's wheel works first thing tomorrow and then maybe the BMW in Fairbanks..

Local machinist and U-Haul open on Tuesday
  18. Trasch

Trasch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Road/Ferry report. Just got to Haines Ak to find out one of the big ferries is out of commission. I believe it is the Columbia. Had an engine fire and is stuck in Bellingham. So only a small ferry running from Haines to Skagway and its booked until the 4th for vehicles. Got a ticket for the 4th and will try standby on the 3rd. was planning a few days in Haines anyway. Talked to a fellow rider who was taking ferry system south and received no email or call that his trip was cancelled. I believe it's the same small ferry south as well.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  19. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Trasch

Trasch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a nice stay at one of the Yukon government campsites ~12miles south of Destruction Bay. Congdon Creek campground. Lots of bears in this area I guess so they hadn't allowed tent camping for some time. But they now have an area dedicated for tents surrounded by an electrical fence. So we are the animals in the cage. One guy had a sign that said please feed us beer. $12 CAD and a heck of a view and beach to walk on. Looks like a second tent area being built as well. If riding with someone on a KLR have them try and open the electrical gate first. Also a shout out to Village Bakery in Haines Junction. Excellent selection of food/bakery items and fancy coffee for the BMW guys. It's one block off the main intersection. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Gordon, slane6, tmark1301cc and 11 others like this.