Alaska-Canada 2018 - Let's Share on the Road Updates

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Trasch, May 2, 2018.

1. towboatcrisco

towboatcrisco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One thing to remember is once you start getting into northern BC , Yukon and the NWT. the gas stations usually require you to pay for gas first or leave a Credit card inside . Not many machines have the card option at the pump. ( and the card lock at the beginning of the dempster is a little different than what you have/ will see as its a separate little booth , you need your credit card and the pump number to activate , and don't slip up on lifting the noozle or you start again :doh
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everyone takes $USD, not everyone will give you exchamge but most will. $1.30 right now
    sjeproductions likes this.
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I went into Canada with ~$150 Cdn. Spent two weeks or so there, had 40 still in my pocket.
    Used CC most everywhere, cash just for small stuff.....candy, stickers etc.
    Used a card with no foreign transaction fee.
  4. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In June i took $600.00cn with me. ($500.00 us) I used it for camping/hotels and misc food/trinkets. I had a dollar and 25 cents left at the end. The only place that took no cards or U.S. money that we ran into was the red catering trailer at Dease Lake. The two riders with me had no Canadian dollars so luckily i did. (it was the only place open for food when we got there)
  5. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    I've just returned to Fairbanks after going up the Dalton as far as the 4th pump station, about 20 miles north of Atigun Pass, where the valley flattens out that runs up to the north side of Atigun Pass. Very scenic from Coldfoot north, the further I went the better it got. The road is mostly good, watch out for a couple of deep potholes about halfway between the start and Yukon River camp.
    Cheers, Mark
  6. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    A lot of the better campsites in western Canada were remote/unmanned and had a station to deposit cash. Usually $20-25

A $50 bill is handy to leave with the cashier while pumping gas instead of a card if you don't want to risk getting skimmed.

Some small vendors only take cash for small purchases. For everything else there's mastercard
  7. sjeproductions

sjeproductions Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm gonna get some Canadian cash and use it when needed. Gotta recheck my credit cards and see which charge a transaction fee.
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Record temperatures in Alberta and smoke from BC fires. Mt. Whistler can't be seen from downtown Jasper. That's unheard of. Six people killed on the Sunwapta Pass south of Jasper in a head-on Tuesday that caused an explosion and fire. One of the families were from Texas/Louisiana. Visability issues have been raised. It's like it's overcast here but there's not a cloud in the sky. It's smoke.

Ride safe.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    32 in Fort Mac today, stay hydrated.
  10. sjeproductions

sjeproductions Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone carrying a water filter with them? Space is becoming a bit of an issue, so I'm now at the point of nice-to-have vs need-to-have. It's literally now a Water filter vs really heavy gloves kinda scenario. :lol3

As I plan to camp, I am bringing a 4L dromedary bag with me, which I usually just fill up at my last stop before camping.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I do the same, easier than carrying a filter setup for me.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Alberta recently joined BC in legislation requiring pre-payment at the pumps. Alberta moved quickly on it when a second station attendant was killed in the same year trying to stop a gas and dash.

Regular is $1.23.9/L today in Edmonton.
    Square1 and jackalsour like this.
  13. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I carried a filter but never used it. I had my 70 liter hydration pack and I carried 2 20oz roll up water bottles. That was more than enough for drinking and cooking for a night.
  14. fastpast

Oddometer:
    My foreign transaction fees for the whole month only added up to $29.95 so that wasn't too bad. The highest single one was $3.46
  15. fastpast

Oddometer:
    I left the filter at home and took the heavy gloves. Glad i did in my case.
  16. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In North America you can drink water out of almost any tap...a bit of planning and you'll never have to use a filter. Carry the gloves.
    sjeproductions and twowings like this.
  17. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    I try to invite backcountry camping opportunities, so I generally carry a water filter. If you're on the fence about it and not seeking out remote camping, pick up a little bottle of iodine solution or iodine tablets as an emergency remedy. REI should have it in stock. Or you can plan to boil all your drinking water if you've got adequate fuel.

*Yes* on the heavy gloves. You'll be encountering <40 degree temps.
  18. grommets

grommets Don't get hurt Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little note from my recent trip.

We stopped at Tatogga Lake Lodge on the way up. Met the guy who runs it. He was helpful. Let us use the wifi. Let me use the water hose to clean all the dust from my bike. He told me about how his prices to stay at the lodge are much cheaper than Bell 2. The truck guys eating breakfast there said the food was good.

So far, so good. All pretty much what you'd expect.

My wife commented that he seemed a bit off. I said nah, that's just his way. Didn't think more of it.

On the way back, we stopped in there again. Got gas, used wifi again. I asked if I could fill up the water bladder in my tank bag in the kitchen. He said sure. We were talking about this and that while I gassed up and was getting the water. He asked about my bike, where it was made. I said it was made in Austria. All of a sudden, he goes into this rant about how the world owes the Austrians and the Germans a big debt.

"Oh, how so?" I asked.

"Well, they saved Europe from the Red Army, which was on the brink of invading and taking over the continent."

"Really." I said.

"Yes. And everything we've been told about WW2 is all lies, told by 'those people' so that they could control us."

At which point I was done getting the water and walked away, got on my bike, and left.

I'm not Jewish. I have some German and Irish blood. Don't claim a stake on either side of that conflict, other than being glad we won and the ambitions of a madman were stopped. But I have uncles who fought in the war, and I know it was not all lies. Sad to find out this guy who runs a cool outfit in a beautiful part of BC is a rabid Jew hater and holocaust denier.

Weird, the stuff you run into on the road.
    Square1 and poppawheelie like this.
  19. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    As to your credit card, check that it is a newer one with a chip. I just returned home from another trip to the lower 48 and the only folks that I saw with card issues where older cards without the chip.
    It will vary a bit station to station. At the pump the screen will ask you how much to purchase, it will have various amounts on the screen. If you don't see a button that says fill up you can push other amount, Then enter any amount. I entered $35.00 to fill up my wing. They will bill you the actual amount you use.

As to a water filter I carry a Sawer Mini filter, it comes with a squeeze bag. Cheep, less than 20 bucks, easy to use and cleanable. I will get the shits if I drink tap water in hard water areas so if I cant get bottled water I filter all the water I drink
    shuckinator and Square1 like this.
  20. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention SMOKE There are a lot of fires around BC and the rest of the north country. Yesterday I drove up the Alcan to catch the ferry in Skagway. There was a bunch of smoke south of Watson Lake. The day before going across Alberta it was very thick, at times I had trouble seeing more than a few car lengths ahead.
    Square1 likes this.