Alaska-Canada 2018 - Let's Share on the Road Updates

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Trasch, May 2, 2018.

1. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Interesting.. I also stopped there for gas, free WiFi and some fresh baked goods. I think the same guy was chatting with some local workers about mines. He also employed some young Australian couple/travelers working there and was saying how it's great they get to travel young and seemed to be helping them along their way which is cool. I suppose people are susceptible to crazy imaginations and beliefs being so isolated.. or maybe such inclined people seek out such isolated locations for a reason?

I carry the same filter everywhere in my everyday carry pack. They're pretty much standard carry for UL backpackers and great value. Sawyer Squeeze is apparently also is great choice for slightly more weight and about same price

Another consideration for credit cards is that if you use them for a trip they may be handy for trip insurance. I tried mine when my bike broke down with no luck. Apparently mine covers trip interruptions that involve flights or medical emergencies but not motorbike breakdown
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  2. hwyhound

hwyhound Patriot

Oddometer:
    I found that "Discover" card is not accepted in Canada. When I needed Canadian cash i just hit a bank ATM with my debit card. The fee was minimal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  3. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Damn!!! Just read this today.

Telegraph Creek fire

Due to time constraints I skipped going this year. Now I wish I had.

In 2013, my son and had the pleasure of meeting the Tahltan Cheif, Rick MClean. He invited us to camp at the end of town and shared a beer with me.

[​IMG]

GSAnderson, fastpast and Trasch like this.
  4. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Grizz! Love your videos. Did you make it to Tuktoyaktuk this season?
  5. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really to bad about Telegraph Creek. So many fires. :(
  6. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Nope. Too much RAIN!
  7. towboatcrisco

towboatcrisco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did 18 Days camping To Tuk and Back nothing to off the beaten path never brought a water filter ... never needed one . BUT before my trip I was having the same dilemma should I , shouldn't I . I think its all about what your expectation for your trip is if your gonna bush wack and be away from a water source you may consider a filter otherwise the space can be used more productively . my 2 Cents
    fastpast and sjeproductions like this.
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Further to my earlier comment about smoke from BC fires, here's Edmonton today. There's not a cloud in the sky.

smoke.png
    Bigbob1 and rubline like this.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way smoky in Fort Mac yesterday, first time this week you could really smell it. Sun is a beautiful pinkish Red first thing in the morning.
  10. Chazbo

Chazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I recall, many of the developed campgrounds, including Tombstone, had water but also signs posted that it should be boiled. This was common throughout Canada and Alaska. I have both Sawyer filter and Steripen UV , but lately I only carry the very compact Steripen. It is a quick and easy precaution that at the least might avoid getting diarrhea. That would be more than a little inconvenient for me.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I think I had water from hand pumps at campsites twice. One time I melted snow. Each time I boiled it for couple of minutes before use but then as I was using it for soup and coffee it was going to get boiled anyway.
  12. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I carry it pretty much everywhere everyday like a first aid kit. I rarely ever use my first aid kit but if I do it could be critical. I consider water a priority only after safety, oxygen and shelter. So I don't agree the space could be used more productively unless it's to carry tiny 2 oz of first aid or shelter, especially when you consider that water is one of the heaviest things to carry. It's not about how often you use it it's about what if you end up stranded in some place or find some person in need of drinking water.
    Chazbo likes this.
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    some good points there. if you read reports, or have traveled some of the big routes also used by the long distance bicycle riding crowd of which there are many, moto travelers have given up water to bicycle riders they have found seriously dehydrated, and on the edge of major trouble. i've done both, given away water, and run out myself in the desert...this guy knows stuff, i should take his advice and carry a filter, like the brand new one i've had on the shelf for a few years but never packed for a trip.
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Sterilizing tablets take much less room so you are more likely to have them when you need them
  15. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    That is true but I find the filter works better when dealing with physically dirty water and the filter is something that just lasts longer (doesn't expire or need to be replenished nearly as often) 99% of the time I just boil water and the filter is backup, tablets would be my backup backup personally. All 3 options would be ideal and work in different situations. A shirt or bandana also makes a decent pre-filter in combination with 1 or more of the others
  16. towboatcrisco

towboatcrisco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup all Valid and excellent points ! IMO I look at the travel I will be doing the things I will most likely encounter through that particular travel and pack accordingly . As everyone of us not just here but any traveller knows you can't pack everything so you make choices accordingly . On our 18 day 8500kms trip 3 of us in the group, none of us required the use of a water filter nor did we happen across anyone desperate for water . Our route took us from Vancouver up the 37 and 37A on to Dawson for the D2D and the Dempster to Inuvik on to Tuk , back down the Dempster then the Alaska Hwy back .
    As it was on the way up all 3 of us dropped a 20Liter dry sack filled with various items at a friends place in Whitehorse as we over packed. Many things that were considered " needed " before departure were deemed non essential as we got into our trip. So I guess it's up to the individual , the trip, and what an individual needs to feel confident that they are prepared for the situations they will or may encounter.
    sjeproductions likes this.
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    A friend approaching Kamloops, BC yesterday. You should see the city in the valley below.

kamloops.jpg
    rubline likes this.
  18. sjeproductions

sjeproductions Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    All packed up and ready to go. Taking her out for a final shake-down ride tomorrow and starting the month long, maybe longer, trip on Friday. Hope to see some of you along the way.

Attached Files:

19. sjeproductions

sjeproductions Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    last minute question for folks, in BC/Yukon area what is the longest stretch folks have run without seeing fuel?? My traveling partner has a 990 that doesn't get the greatest mileage. we've got 1 gallon extra capacity each, contemplating if we need another gallon for him. I believe the run to prudhoe bay pushes that to about 250 miles no fuel, but I haven't had as much time to map the distances in Canada. We do plan on sticking to the more secondary roads and can certainly adapt on the road with buying a jerry jug if need be. Thanks all! 24 hours has never felt so long!
  20. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The gap from Coldfoot to Proudhon Bay is the longest at 244 miles. If you go up the Dempster the gap from the AFD CardLock at the start of the Dempster to the next gas at Eagle Plaines is 229. Beyond that gas is readily available every 100-150 miles unless you do the North Canol Road....then you need a LOT!

Joe
    sjeproductions and Bigbob1 like this.