Alaska-Canada 2018 - Let's Share on the Road Updates

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Trasch, May 2, 2018.

1. Trasch

Trasch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll have no problems with that setup in BC/Yukon and like you said just pick up an extra jerry can for the run up the Dalton if you feel the need. I didn't get the greatest gas mileage with the Tenere and only used my 1 gallon of extra on the Dalton. Headwind out in the tundra after going through the Brooks Range really affected my mileage into Deadhorse. Plenty of places in BC/Yukon to get gas, my only advice there is if you go through a small town with gas and feel like you should have got gas, don't be afraid to just double back and fill up, I think you will find that you end up filling up when half full or quarter full most of the time vs pushing it to the limits. Depending on your definition of "secondary roads" your experience may very, i.e. taking the Campbell Hwy. Common rule is if your buddy has to use your extra gallon of gas in addition to his own at any time he has to buy the beer that night. Safe travels!
    ScotsFire likes this.
  2. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Be prepared if the station your counting on has no gas or a power outage, computer problems where they can't pump. We ran into to this a couple of times, carried extra two gallon Rotopax comes in handy.
    sjeproductions, Chazbo and TNRyder like this.
  3. Chazbo

Chazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This helps in the nightmare scenario where you are, say, greater than 3/4 way to the max range gas stop and the road is impassible and you must turn back. A lot depends on if you are travelling solo or with others who also brought extra gas. One group strategy might involve turning back and the guy with the longest range keeps going with the extra cans after the first guy runs out, then returns with full cans for all and extra cans if needed. All of these are possible scenarios, but improbable. I carried two 1.25 gal gas cans on my trip and filled them on the Dempster. The rest of the time they were on top of my panniers strapped to the lid, light and empty. Never noticed them. Never needed them.
  4. sjeproductions

sjeproductions Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thansk Joe! That is kinda what I was anticipating given my limited research. Although the Tuk road is in the back of my mind...so.... :lol3
  5. sjeproductions

sjeproductions Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got an auxiliary 1.2 gallon Rottweiler tank plumbed in, plus a 1 gallon Giant Loop fuel bag, so a total of 7.5 gallons. My buddy has a stock tank and another 2 gallon carrying capacity (bag and rotopax), so I'm feeling good about our ability to manage most situations. Thankfully multiple trips through Copper Canyon and Baja have prepared us for the "out of gas" situation. :-)
  6. grommets

grommets Don't get hurt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only thing I'd add is that many stations close at night. Like most of them on the Cassiar highway. And the pumps are off or you have to prepay.

Depending on how late you ride this could be an issue.
    sjeproductions likes this.
  7. StumpyHamilton

StumpyHamilton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if this is useful to anyone else, but I've compiled some links related to the fires in BC. I'm heading down that direction in a few days and I don't see any show stoppers yet.

Active fires:
    http://google.org/crisismap/google.com/2018-british-columbia-wildfires

Travel Advisories:
    https://www.tranbc.ca/current-travel-advisories/

I don't see anything in particular for the Cassiar except for smoke near Iskut.
    http://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/events/Highway37.html

And here's a map:
    http://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/map/map.html?l=roadcond&l=incident&l=currentplanevent

Edit 20180818:
    This map has an evacuation orders layer
    https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis....x.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
    Bigbob1 and CavReconSGT like this.
  8. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  9. Powerslave

Powerslave n00by tires that would be

Oddometer:
    Philmont I take it? Worked Cons 90-94. Good chance I hung some of those cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. StumpyHamilton

Oddometer:
    Yup.

I've learned since that post that it really depends on the area. Some mothers will push on the tree while a cub climbs up and gets the food. At Yosemite, the bear rolls the bear proof container off of a 400ft cliff...
  11. Powerslave

Powerslave n00by tires that would be

Oddometer:
    Haha. The Yosemite bears (cubs) i have encountered were very persistent. Hunger is a good motivator. Im so glad my mom didnt kick me out at such a young age :)

12. StumpyHamilton

Oddometer:
    wildfires.png
    Hmmm. Those red boxes are evacuation orders; probably a zoo around there.
  13. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    That map surrounds Burns Lake BC where I spent a week waiting for parts. I'm trying to get in contact with the family that looked after me, trailered me off the street, took me fishing, lent me their car and haven't heard back.. I imagine they're pretty busy. Their home isn't in the evacuation zone but the lake we fished on is and it's not far away.

After I fixed the bike the first test ride I did was around Francois Lake which is surrounded by red in the middle of that:
    [​IMG]
    "The Island Lake wildfire, seen from the eastern section of Francois Lake Road, about half a kilometre west of Stellako Lodge. Many spectators came out to view the scene" source CBC
    CavReconSGT and rubline like this.
  14. bassogap

bassogap Kids in sports makes me an athletic... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Campbell Highway. Watson Lake to Ross River, at 225mi.

NOTE: Ross River is NOT on the highway. It's about 8km away. If you miss the turn, there's no gas for quite a while.
  15. CaribooBC

CaribooBC life is an adventure

Oddometer:
  16. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I missed it going towards Watson Lake. I made it but my fuel light had been on for many miles. I was coasting all I could. I just blew right through it. About an hour later I started wondering.

17. bassogap

Oddometer:
    We nearly missed it, but stopped and decided to go back to re-read the signs.

Campbell Highway is stunningly beautiful country. If you don't mind 300mi of gravel...but it's the most perfect gravel you've ever seen.
    dogon2whls likes this.
  18. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    The roadworks just before the gravel began (coming from the Watson Lake end) was far worse.
  19. bassogap

Oddometer:
    Meh.

Worst we saw was the Denali Highway and McCarthy Road. It wasn't the gravel as much as it was potholes, washboard, and water over the roadway.

Top of the World Highway was beautiful, but the last few miles, the approach to Chicken, AK, were brutal. Potholes and dust, for us.
    poppawheelie likes this.
  20. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    What bothered me the most were the roads where it was normal pavement, then every 10 or so miles - with almost no warning - it was a 100+ meter section of gravel. Then back to normal pavement. Really takes the confidence out of you to relax and go too fast.