Alaska Ferry workers on strike

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Bigbob1, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Alaska Ferry workers just went on strike so adjust your plans accordingly.
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Five bucks says that was a freakishly poorly thought out move when a cook on the ferry system can pull down 150 large (but needs more) and the State is cutting everywhere. If that fix is postponed until spring it'll look like the ferry workers are poking the rural communities and every one of those dudes will be a hell of a lot skinnier for sure.

The real problem will be those that have their car on the ferry and they're midway between destinations and have to abandon their ride to get back to work. Bummer for everyone but I'm guessing the biggest disappointment will be handed to the strikers.
  3. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    From what I have seen the state offered 5% but the union wanted 9% Seems like a bit of a gap. Ya I feel sorry for those folks dumped in Ketchikan and Juneau.
    My wife just stopped in at the Juneau ferry terminal and said its kind of a party atmosphere with the strikers.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    stories are rampant... can ya prove the cook gets 150? if yes, then that is probably out of line. on the other hand, even if so, it may not be the true indication of the other forks that run the rig. always irks me because I got called a "state raper" long ago when I first took a job at the U..... making 9 bucks/hr.... like about 1/2 what I made at SBS 5 years earlier, and about 1/4 of what my friend was making on the slope manning the parts counter. so, I got yer state raper right here............
    JagLite, ThatGuy and Tom S like this.
  5. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    There is a cook working for the state making $157,548.
  6. Beezer

Oddometer:
    whats his name, and how do I check that
  7. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find the info in the link that Ullr posted. :dunno

Quoting a comment from someone on an article in the ADN. The wages start on page 20 in the PDF link that he posted.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Well our geniuses are posting cooks make $ 150,000 to $ 160,000 a year on the ferry system. Here is the wage scale according to the negotiated agreement.
    https://ibupak.org/wp-content/uploads/CBA_IBU_2014-17_final_061815.pdf

To make $ 160,00 a year at the overtime rate of $ 41.91 for the chief cook would requires the cook to work 3,800 hours a year."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Beezer

Oddometer:
    chief cook makes a bit under 28 bucks an hour. rounded up thats 56k on a normal 2000 hour work year. if they work him overtime thats a management problem. they are also adding a benefit package to the final number. the police have the same problem, especially with dispatchers
  11. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to that link the chief cook makes $111,755 in wages with included benefits totaling $157,548. My math says that’s $53.73 and hour based on standard working hours of 2080 per year. The lowest paid cook makes $25/hr which isn’t bad, with an overall compensation package of $82k. We all know the ferry cafeterias aren’t producing anything special as far as the food goes so the pay seems pretty good to me.
  12. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I'll go with the PB&J and a glass of hot dog water please.
  13. Beezer

Oddometer:
    I only looked at what the contract says... its right there on P20. and again if he gets that much... thats a management problem.

the guy that called me a state raper had a 9th grade education and made 80k take home on the slope in the 80s-90s (not including the beni package)

what do we pay the duds in Juneau? our lieutenant gov is still on the payroll at Conoco... they give him a quarter million a year to do "resource conservation" or some such shit
  14. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    It’s interesting that they add the other stuff that’s as total compensation like that’s money they’re taking home. What’s also funny is that one of the “big wigs” of the policy forum a retired military colonel who makes his retirement from public service. It’s the “fuck you, I got mine” mentality.
    Beezer likes this.
  15. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where did you find that $111,755? As I understand your post that's with some bennies included 'cause $28 X 2,080 = $58,240. Then you added another $45,793 from somewhere to the $11.755K for the $157,548.
    And no, if it is in there, I did not read thru the whole 73 pages of the PDF link I posted.
  16. That.guy

Oddometer:
    It's in the link Ullr posted, the AK policy forum. That site lists total wages received, a separate column for the benefits monetary value and then overall compensation for most state employees by individual position. The highest paid cook is a Mr. Bragat at $111,755 in wages, not including the value of his benefit package. It doesn't tell you how much of that money is from overtime hours worked or other bonuses, etc, just the overall cash paid for labor performed.

On that site select Agency/Entity as "State of Alaska Executive Branch" and Bargaining Unit as "Inland Boatman". It will pull up the list of all employed members of that union by name, position and wages paid in 2017.

I'm not saying the union might not have some reasonable complaints but their paychecks seem to be pretty decent.
  17. That.guy

Oddometer:
    It's a valid figure of money that the state spends to employ the individual though. It might not be money directly in their pocket but that doesn't mean much.
  18. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    So why don’t we do that to all employees in both sectors? Why is this never shown for other employment? When you took your job did they tell you how much “total compensation” you received? My point is the policy forum that likes to sit around and complain about public sector jobs are hypocrites. How much should a cook on a ferry(almost more like a cruise ship) make?
    Also what does that compensation include? His room and board? Mileage for driving a company vehicle?
    Beezer likes this.
  19. That.guy

Oddometer:
    Every job I've had has included benefits when showing what your total compensation is. A company paying $15k for your medical coverage is the same as if they paid you $15k more in wages and you then paid for your own coverage.

Even if you ignore the benefits side of that $111k is pretty good money for most any job.
  20. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Those figures of $28 for a chief cook are entry level hourly rates. every year their pay jumps up.
    I have a neighbor who is an engineer on the ferrys. On the union pay list it shows a bit over $28 an hour but he has about 10 years on the job and is getting $58 an hour before benefits are added.