Alaska for dummies

Discussion in 'Americas' started by damasovi, Sep 17, 2007.

1. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Lots of good advice already given. I just want to add that you need more time. It is a long way to Anchorage from Baja. 5000mi or so. That's 500mi per day for 10 days. Then turn around and do it again. And the towns, in the far norh, won't space out for 500mi days. Most are about 300 mi apart. Take the tent and bag.

Gas is usually no more than 50 mi apart, and there is usually food there, and sometimes a room (pricey).

Take some time in the Muncho Lake, Liard, Rancheria area. Kluane Lake to Skagway is another nice area that a lot of people skip, because they need the Prudhoe Bay trophy.

Have a good trip, don't rush.
  2. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Also planning Alaska in 2010...

:lurk
  3. flowercycle

flowercycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Father and I have been planning an AK trip for a while now. I appreciate the info provided here among other resources. We hope to nail down the itinerary within the next 30 days. We are leaning toward a daisy chain method. Here is the short run down:

Early May 08 - One week - Southeast MO to Spokane, WA

Fly Home

Late July - Three weeks - Spokane - Denali - Prudoe Bay (just to say we did it) many points in between and back to Spokane

Fly Home

October / November - One week - Spokane to San Diego

Fly Home

January / February 09 - Two to Three weeks - San Diego - Cabo San Lucas across Mexico back to Missouri.
  4. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    I use both :1drink
  5. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I LIVE IN ALASKA AND i HAVE DRIVEN THE ALKAN SOME 20 TIMES, I WOULD ENTER CANADA THROUGH MONTANA ON THE WESTERN SIDE OF GLACIER NATIONAL PARK AND WORK MY WAY THROUGH LAKE LOUISE, HWY 1, AND THEN HEAD NORTH WEST THROUGH JASPER. THIS ROUTE WILL ADD MILES, AS APOSED TO HEADING UP THROUGH WASHINGTON AND TAKING THE CASSIAR HWY, A SPECTACULAR DIRT ROAD, BUT THE SCENERY CANT BE BEAT. PLACES TO SEE LEARD HOT SPRINGS, GREAT PLACE TO CAMP AND SOAK AFTER A LONG DRIVE. SKAGWAY, HISTORIC, WHITEHORSE, A CITY IN THE WAY NORTH, HAINES, AND HYDER, AK IF YOU TAKE THE CASSIAR. FUEL STATIONS CAN BE 100 MILES APPART SO DONT SKIP ONE. ONCE NEAR THE BOARDER THINK OF HEADING TO DAWSON, MOTORCYCLE RALLY, AND THEN INTO CHICKEN AK. AK ONLY HAS 3-4 MAIN HWYS THAT CONNECT TO MAJOR COMMUNITIES, HOWEVER THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF DIRT MILES THAT TAKE YOU NOWHERE. PETERSVILLE ROAD, DENALI HWY AND THE FERRY TRAIL, ARE JUST A FEW ON HWY #3. ASK LOCALS ABOUT COOL PLACES THAT YOU WONT FIND ON ANY MAP OR GPS. I LIVE IN DENALI NATIONAL PARK AND OWN THE SUBWAY RESTERAUNT THERE. FEEL FREE TO STOP IN AND ASK FOR PAUL. I HAVE LAND TO CAMP ON AND CONNECTIONS FOR ALL ACTIVITIES IN THE AREA. 400 MILES IS ALONG DAY IN ALASKA, IF YOU DO IT RIGHT. REMEMBER ANCHORAGE , THOUGH IN THE STATE, IS NOT ALASKA. ALASKA STARTS SOME 40 MILES AWAY FROM ANCHORAGE, AND THE BEST PARTS OF ALASKA ARE NOT AT THE END OF THE TARMAC, THEY START THERE. DON'T GO TO ALASKA IF PAVEMENT IS WHAT YOU SEEK
  6. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Al so good advice, but be careful I just with go ask for you and a foot long BLT, there. I can totally agree, about not going if tarmac is what you want. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Gracias amigo<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Damasovi <o:p></o:p>
  7. heetseeker

heetseeker Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer:
    Paul,

I should be going through Denali in June....I hope to stop in and say hello. Thanks for the course knowledge.

Steve
  8. Denalidirt

Oddometer:
    Any Time, Feel Free To Stop In. Maybe My Staff Will Give Me Some Time Off And I Could Put In A Few Miles
  9. DevDel

DevDel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy.
    I'm sure I'm not the only guy watching this thread and absorbing info for a future trip! It's great to get tips from the locals and exp. riders.

Tell us more about the weather. Most people refer to late May as the earliest time to travel. Are things still snowed in before then? What's the latest to go and still avoid frost on the bike? What's the temperature ranges during those months?

The crappy housing market may stiffle my income for the near future...but I'm still hoping to go in '08
  10. Denalidirt

Oddometer:
    best time in ak is mid may to mid sept. most places are only open during this time. weathers iffy also, frost in aug snow in sept. expect to sweat and shiver any day during the summer. alaska is big, twice the size of texas so weather depends on location as well
  11. RICHJACK

RICHJACK DON'T BRING ME DOWN

Oddometer:
    My current plan is to leave Colorado May 14 and ride the Dalton to Deadhorse about 8 days later. I'm wondering if this might be a little too early for the Northern part of the Haul Road. Rode to Alaska in 2003 and had a great trip in July. Now I want to ride some of the roads I didn't do before.
  12. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Riding towards Alaska on the Cassier on July 4 we got snowed on. July 5 in Whitehorse, Yukon, it was below freezing at 6 AM. Two days later, above the arctic circle, it was about 80, sunny, and humid. I don't know when the snow melts completely, or when it starts to snow hard again, but it can snow any day, and temps will range from below freezing to above 90. At a gas station I heard that a few years ago they got two feet of snow in the middle of summer.
  13. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    4 weeks is plenty of time to get up and back but doesn't leave you much time here to see Alaska. I would advise an extra week if you have it available. You can ride the West Coast and the Cassier one way and the Alaska Highway the other and take the East of the Sierras to get back to Baja. Sounds like the makings for a fantastic trip. Bear
  14. wildwoody

wildwoody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be heading up to Alaska next June from Toledo, OH. What is the quickest route? By quickest I mean the fastest roads.
  15. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI just to think a little more, if you to Alaska on 250 cc single, are you asking for it? I know there are plenty of reasons to do/not do it on the plus I can list the following:

+ less weight so if I drop it, I can solo pick it up
    + less speed less likely to get tickets
    + more control in the off road parts
    - Less weight, more subjetc to weather
    - less speed more time consuming
    - less ability to carry stuff that I may need, right?

So should I forget the idea and take the KLR or should I venture on the smaller but lighter 250 ?

Damasovi
  16. skidlid400

skidlid400 Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer:
    Definitely get the Milepost mag, it's a great help, tons of info in there.
  17. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You might be interested in this RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255995
    Pretty impressive ride!:deal
  18. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    I'm glad somebody always asks these questions. It gives us noobs a chance to learn before we even know what questions ask. I to am planning on doing Alaska as my first adv. trip. I was think summer of '08, but I may not be ready till '09. Anyway, good luck and maybe I'll see you out there...
  19. pfestus1

pfestus1 Slash 5er

Oddometer:
    :thumb :lurk Thanks for all the great info! I'm beginning to plan my ride to Alaska in '09. I'll be watching.
  20. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I can not imagine riding 9,000 miles on a 250.

Me, Dave, Scott, and Siggy kept looking at fire-roads and logging-roads and wishing we could do a good explore on a 250ish. We agreed to go back some day- with a truck full of parts and a trailer full of bikes. We'd trailer somewhere, camp, and explore. Then move on, camp, and explore some more. We'd do it in a group of 4- at least 4- because on a 250 you can get yourself way, way, way back into the boonies. And if there's safety in numbers, then you can ride a little more... not crazy, but FUN! and not worry too much about getting into an awful tight spot.

If we did it in a group of 4, we'd be able to split the gas. Up Canada/Alcan way, gas is mighty pricey.