Alaska, is it Worth It?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Carl Childers, May 19, 2017.

1. NorthPole

NorthPole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A similar question I ask myself is if riding Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways are worth the distance from Fairbanks. Guess I will just have to go down there this summer and find out. Really hope the Ice Feilds or Going to the Sun don't get in my way.
    Tijuana_Taxi and Tewster2 like this.
  2. Vandergraf

Vandergraf --------------------

Oddometer:

I don't really see where Mr Childers presented attitude. He came here looking for information on the area.
    You lived there and could probably have provided more helpful info than cranky lecturing about what you assumed his attitude was.
    refokus, bad luck, JeepDawg and 2 others like this.
  3. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently my 50-mile round trips to the Arby's in Rock Hill, SC don't count for much.

But I enjoy the trips immensely. Sometimes, I'll spoil myself with an extra packet of "Horsey Sauce" on my roast beef sandwich. Not thrilled about the corn syrup in it, but other than that...
    Bultaco206, Folly1 and Vandergraf like this.
  4. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    JoMomma is down the hall.
  5. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you have pretty high expectations if you want a "pot of gold" at the end. Sometimes trips don't work out that way. Sometimes there are tiny pots of gold along the way and not a big one at the end.

I am on my way there now and the past 2.5 days have been hell. It's a hellava slog just to get out of Ontario, I am coming from Coburg not to far from the Belleville area.

Every hour of riding has been in constant rain and cold. Almost..subtract 6 hours on day one. I am trying to keep my "pot of gold" in sight...d2d.

You know the answer yourself,why do you need us to convince you?
    Vandergraf likes this.
  6. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Your post puts it all in perspective for me. Wise words indeed! I still go back and forth on this everyday but I'm just about there as far as getting the bike packed and heading out in a few weeks.

Be safe and have a great trip.
    refokus likes this.
  7. Ryan72

Ryan72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I di the Fairbanks/Paxon/Cantwell triangle on a rental bike two years ago; best ride of my life. Next week I'm going back to try Anchorage and Seward. I don't think you'll have any regrets.
    Carl Childers likes this.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    OP- IMO, you should definitely go to Alaska. I have travelled quite a bit (49 States, much of Canada, MX, Central Amer., EU, SE Asia) and was totally blown away by the grandeur and beauty of Alaska. YMMV
  9. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated above...yes, it is absolutely worth it. I went last year for the first time and plan to go back in 2018. My only regret is that I don't have more time. Fortunately for my third trip (2020?), I will be retired!

BTW, last year mosquitos were not a problem at all, at least for me.
    FLARider1 likes this.
  10. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways are well worth the trip. Rode them for the first time last year and it was a very welcome side trip on the way to AK. I know this may draw some feedback, but IMHO, if you run the Icefields Parkway, which is a 'must ride' route, before you do Going to the Sun Road, you wil be severely letdown at what you experience on the Going to the Sun Road. I did after having been on the Icefields Parkway and through AK and the YT. Traffic, glaciers aren't in your face around every corner.......just wasn't up to what I saw to the north. Since it seems like you will be going from north to south and back north I highly recommend you do the Ice Fields Parkway in both directions. Its truly two different rides!!!
    NorthPole likes this.
  11. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:

Exactly.

Charlie
    Baccadon and Tewster2 like this.
  12. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Anchorage, been up and down the Alcan about 10x as kid with my parents. Last summer I rode up there to visit. I have to say it was the most amazing trip I've ever done. It's very different to see all those sights from a bike. Very worth while, and it's not just bragging rights. It's 180 degrees from what we get/have here in NM.

My ride report from the trip:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/to-alaska-d2d-the-dempster-july-2016.1163402/
    Carl Childers likes this.
  13. NorthPole

NorthPole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since it seems like you will be going from north to south and back north I highly recommend you do the Ice Fields Parkway in both directions. Its truly two different rides!!![/QUOTE]
    Might just have to do that.
    FLARider1 likes this.
  14. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your words of encouragement, I will be studying your ride report.
  15. NL7U

NL7U Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jeepers, creepers....I cannot believe that I am reading Alaska ride reports again. I guess the problem is incurable, to go along with my old age (73), fat ass condition, and a host of other things that the doctors say that will kill me. I plan to "go for it", at least one more time. See you there!
    1oldsickle, F.P., ER70S-2 and 2 others like this.
  16. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    10 years ago a buddy of mine suggested we get a couple of BMW GS's and ride to Alaska. He had been inspired by Long Way Round/Down/Sideways. So like a dummy I go out and buy a GSA and start planning and of course he flakes out and doesn't buy a bike and cancels his plan. Well, like hell if I am not gonna go, so I did it solo. I even got my M1 license two weeks before departure. Greatest road trip of my 40 years on earth. I met lifelong friends and guess what? I am going again next year for my 50th. See ya up there!
    jettech01, EmmEff, Battmo and 8 others like this.
  17. RidewithAB

RidewithAB Just Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  18. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Easily distracted Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you like an adventure, have the time and money...go. If you don't like an adventure, don't have the time or money...don't go. Simple as that. It's not an easy ride, but only you will be able to decide if its worth it or not.
    worncog likes this.
  19. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is not that crowded. From reading on this board, I expected to see a lot of bikes on the road. Often we would see bikes at the end of the day, and a few on the road but I will see many more any day in Maine than I saw in Canada or Alaska. I think everyone who rides there posts about it here. That is a good thing. Ben.
  20. wannabehippy

wannabehippy I'll risk it!

Oddometer:
    It better be worth it I've been wanting to go for the past 10 years and I'm finally getting the chance next year!

I'll be spending a good amount of time wonder g around Canada too lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    ER70S-2 and Hi-De-Ho like this.