Alaska, is it Worth It?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Carl Childers, May 19, 2017.

1. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    "It better be worth it I've been wanting to for the past 10 years and I'm finally getting the chance next year!"

I said this about sex when I was 17.

It was!

Alaska will be also.

Ben.
    PhiSig1071, SPX and wannabehippy like this.
  2. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope I can do Alaska for less than it cost me to do sex. :uhoh
    SPX, bobw and wannabehippy like this.
  3. Folly1

Oddometer:
    You could probably do a moon trip for less that it costs to do sex, and that is not putting any price on the psychic pain.

Ben.
    kantuckid and ER70S-2 like this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread is silly!
    OP-if you have to ask "that question" you should stay a couch potato and enjoy the A/C and safety of yer living room? If it was asked 'tongue in cheek", all is forgiven...:lol2
    Anyone who lives in N NM ( where I spent last week BTW) and asks the AK question should probably move somewhere tamer anyway?:rofl
    FormerOilhead likes this.
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    From my perspective, NS and a TransLab trip are more appealing to me.
  6. Folly1

Oddometer:
    Post # 2, Alcan Rider, and # 4, Tewster2, have driven an stake through the heart of this question. Listening to anyone one else, including me, is about as smart as taking marital advice from a monk.

Ben.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  7. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has gotten a bit off track. If you're looking for the simple ride, ride to Hyder and tell everyone you've been to Alaska. And there is nothing wrong with that. Want the real deal? Load up, put up the kickstand and ride north until you can't go no farther...like Deadhorse or Tuktoyaktuk, or wherever. Let the weather be the mystery and live your life through the adventure. I'm riding to Tuktoyaktuk in early June, and other Alaskan destinations, that's why I have been lurking here. Safe travels.
    SPX likes this.
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sex and AK travel are two separate things! Both have great appeal. Neither has to be expensive ?
    The ride "as far north as you can" is not IMO, the better part of AK. Do it if you must but your leaving behind lots of other AK.
    SE AK has plenty to offer if you value big trees, water to fish, much more.
    NS compared to AK, well, I'll avoid insulting anyone...:lol2
  9. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just trying to put another light on riding to the top in Alaska.

Every one I talk to from out of the country, when Alaska comes up, they always ask about the Dalton. I tell them there are many great roads and places to see in Alaska. The conversations still focus's on the Dalton.

To us that live relatively nearby (I'm only 5,000 miles away) as compared to others around the world, Alaska sometimes seems not that exciting. To others, Alaska is an exotic place they all want to visit.

Here's my way of looking at things.

In everyplace around the world there are tons of great roads to ride and places to see...but...If I go to Russia I'm gonna ride The Road of Bones...if I go to Europe I'm gonna ride the Stelvio...if I go to South America I'm gonna ride the Ruta 40...if I go to India i'm gonna ride the Khardung La pass...if I go to Labrador I'm gonna ride the Trans Labrador Highway...if I go to Idaho I'm gonna ride Lolo Pass....when I go to Alaska.....I'm gonna ride the Dalton every time.

I leave again 20 May and will return 25 July...can't wait to get back to the top :wings
    Folly1 and ER70S-2 like this.
  10. Folly1

Oddometer:
    " Neither has to be expensive ?"

I must have been riding the Euro models.

Ben.
    ER70S-2 and Tewster2 like this.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    My point was that my travel is much less expensive than many other peoples- all sort of expensive but we "do it" on the cheap, either subject...
    Raising 3 sons is rewarding and also bled me out at times-sex was involved me thinks?:ear
    Can't say as I've ever ridden a Euro "Model". One of my son's dated an Iranian princess in college. I had one date with a Miss Alaska years ago...:lol2
    ER70S-2 and Tewster2 like this.
  12. worncog

Oddometer:
    You're not alone kantuckid. I mostly camp, eat simple, plan limited vacation full of riding, ride a non-European adv, and burn a shitload of fuel in search of epic adventures.

Seven week ride? I'm envious Tewster2! Maybe we'll see you somewhere in the far north. I'll be the dirty Florida Tenere with a V-storm taillight monitor.
  13. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We'll keep an eye out for ya!

The rest of the Circus WISHES it was 7 weeks....we leave May 20 and return July 25....9 1/2 weeks....they said they don't know if they can put up with me for that long :lol3
  14. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    Have you made the trip to Alaska and if so how was it? I want to make this trip as well, maybe next year the stars will align just perfect to allow me to hit the road.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  15. worncog

Oddometer:
    Oops, musta been counting using that newfangled common core math.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  16. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you want to see and ride in Alaska ? Or do you want to be someone who has ridden all the way there , ridden in Alaska and back home ?
    If it's the former , make arrangements soon to rent a bike next summer . It's worth seeing.
    If it's the full boat then prepare for lots of doing the miles. The Yukon is huge with lots of places with little to see. You'll see plenty of it.
    Your choice.
    kantuckid and Tusa like this.
  17. Tusa

Tusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely worth it. What might not be worth is is the trip up to Prudhoe Bay. Everything else, is great.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  18. busapilot

busapilot Nucking Futs!

Oddometer:
    Agreed. If it doesn't make you happy then don't do it. I personally will be planning an Wisconsin-Alaska trip in the next 5 years. Its on my bucket list. I realize that some of the ride is going to suck, but the payoff will be wortj every second for me!
  19. busapilot

busapilot Nucking Futs!

Oddometer:
    What about a 05 DL1000?
  20. jettech01

jettech01 Why be cleaning when you should be leaning.

Oddometer:
    Been a Lurker here for quite awhile, i am planning (tentatively) a trip to Alaska with an almost 20 yr old BWM GS "Ruby" IMG_0327.JPG
    My Prep has been relatively thorough but was wondering if the inmates here might have suggestions, comments....Etc.
    Work done so far.
    New HES (Hall Effect Sensor)
    New Shocks (Hyperpro front and rear)
    Ben through the wiring Harness
    Wired in Aux Lights
    I will have a New Hydenau Rear along for a change in Fairbanks.
    GPS is a Garmin 590LM
    Planning on a fuel cell to mount on an old seat pan
    plumbing it into the return line. I figure a 5 gallon for range.
    (anyone with an old seat pan or a ragged out 1999 R1100GS rear seat please send me a PM.) :D
    If there is anything I am missing please let me know.
    Thanks.