Alaska, is it Worth It?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Carl Childers, May 19, 2017.

1. jettech01

jettech01 Why be cleaning when you should be leaning.

Oddometer:
    Any chance someone would make a suggestion as to the "best" time of year to travel through AK in the summer.
    June, July, August...?????
  2. jettech01

Oddometer:
    Will look for you wannabehippy If you are roaming the area between Mid June to Mid July
  3. wannabehippy

wannabehippy I'll risk it!

Oddometer:
    Definitely Jet! If any of y'all see this bike feel free to say hello for sure![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  4. jettech01

Oddometer:
    :nod :thumb
  5. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't bother with the fuel cell, Its extra weight you don't need. The GS tank will take you to one of many gas stations along the way, if your doing the Dalton or Dempster strap a 1 gallon on the back and you'll be fine. Pack and go.
    scarysharkface and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Plus a fuel cell adds $$$, complexity, and additional failure modes that are completely unnecessary unless you're doing an iron butt competition.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  7. jettech01

Oddometer:
    I guess the reason I am looking into a fuel cell is that I ride with a buddy that has an iron ass and a huge tank R1200GSA and he is always giving me a hard time when we stop for fuel. so the cell will be used more often then just this trip.
    but def thanks for your suggestions, will keep them in mind....:thumbup :thumb
  8. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So your buddy wants you to spend hundreds of dollars for a fuel cell haha.....like the others said, spend $10 on a one gallon can, use it if you go to Deadhorse, then leave it at Coldfoot for another rider to use :thumb I ride up to Alaska and Deadhorse every year...finding gas is never a problem.
    Bigbob1 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  9. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    While there were a couple of times where I would have liked to have a little more buffer (usually because I'd opted to skip a stop because I was still mostly full), fuel was plentiful for my R1200GS will full luggage and me riding like a tool. I didn't ride to Deadhorse (it was raining and I'm a wuss), but with a small extra can I could have. Don't overthink it. You'll have a great trip.

John
  10. wannabehippy

wannabehippy I'll risk it!

Oddometer:
    I'm only keeping my fuel cell on because it's already there and I like it for longer Hwy streches. When I go up the Dalton I don't plan on filling it all the way probably only an extra gallon and a half. It pulls fuel from the cell first anyway so the extra weight won't be there long. Even with both tanks full and riding gravel roads I don't notice it much... I've lightened the rest of my load to compensate.

With that said if I didn't already have the fuel cell I'd just do what the rest have said and strap a $10 can on in Fairbanks for the Dalton.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  11. jettech01

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for "when" to go, june, july, august????
  12. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've made the run to Deadhorse around June 25th the last two years in a row...perfect weather both times...next year I'll probably drown in mud....
    rickj and wannabehippy like this.
  13. jettech01

Oddometer:
    :smile6:beer :thumb
  14. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    June, July, and August. Weather is Whether.
    eemsreno likes this.
  15. jettech01

Oddometer:
    No I was the one thinking of building/installing a fuel cell, it can be done for pretty cheap if you do the work yourself...Which I will do...But thanks for the comment.:thumb

John thanks for your wisdom and suggestions.

Duly Noted thanks....:thumb

LOL.....trying to avoid the time of the Mosquito as much as possible, hate the buggers.....:ricky

:thumb
  16. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    I never seen one mosquito on the Dalton the two trips up I've made, "August"

They don't like snow
    [​IMG]
    MapMaster, Tewster2 and wncstrada like this.
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll stick to Kenai/SE AK as my best places in AK.
    One of my cousins worked up there as a gold mine inspector for feds-he's been to the places I'll never get to, most via bush plane. One of my uncles married Miss Alaska of 1949-before it was a state I suppose-she was a looker too-I met her in 1954 California trip. My hottest aunt to this day! That was his 1st of 3 wives FWIW. I can remember him packing his car, (we lived with his MOM, my grandma during and right after the war) black Pontiac with the amber colored "Chief " ornament on the hood. He had gas cans strapped all over the car for the ALCAN Hwy. He worked there after WWII as an electrician.
    R.e. post #80 above: it will be sad how nasty that nice machine will look after the AK trip! I had a neighbor who rode an older big Jap bike up the haul road and the road chemicals (calcium chloride I suppose?) ate up/into all of the aluminum finish on that bike! See post #96 bikes...
  18. jettech01

Oddometer:
    IMG_0381.JPG
    This is the GS after a ride one day a few weeks ago during love bug season.....Hate them buggers also.
    if left too long they "etch" the finish as well. Little acidic buggers drive me nuts. LOL Yes I know of the calcium chloride and the
    way it coats every thing. I am planning on doing my do diligence and giving her a bath at the first opportunity.
    by the way the story behind this pic. When I went to the car wash to pressure wash the bugs off. She wouldn't start!:dirtdog
    Thats the way I found this.. IMG_0368.JPG ....The plug end of the Hall sensor.....:hair
    After replacing, it was wonderful again....:rilla
  19. 1800cycledude

1800cycledude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2007 we rode to Artic Circle , the weather was mostly great. 2016 we rode to Deadhorse and it rained every day of the 21 day trip, when we got to Deadhorse the weather said rain and snow the next 4 days so we paid to ship our bikes to Fairbanks because we were worried about making it over Gunison pass, we had barely made it on the way up. So it cost us a little over $500 each for plane tickets and trucking but in the end I think it was a very wise choice, no one got hurt. August of 2018 we are riding to Tuktoyaktuk and hopefully much better weather !