Alaska July 2016 - Planning, Prepping, Psyching

Discussion in 'Americas' started by -Chris-, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Breezz68

Breezz68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did the Tenere fair on the trip any issues?
  2. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    They are almost indestructible.
    We just rode them like MX bikes hammering through the pot holes without slowing down.
    Muddy and slick roads where no problem at all and didn't even slow these bikes down.
    My bike had over 100,000 miles on it before I left home.
    I would put new tires on and it would be ready for another run up.

Steve
    scarysharkface likes this.
  3. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading out for a second attempt, about June 1st. Last years planned 2+ month ride ended the 1st day with a get off that had me sitting with my leg up all summer reading ride reports:muutt

Our route has us riding as much off pavement from South Dakota as we can. We'll start by riding the TSDAT west. Then, pick up NorthernTravelers "Northern Route" across Wyoming & Montana. Catch either the Magruder Corridor or Lolo Motorway to the IBCDR & follow it to the north end . We'll get back on the Northern Route going west & cross the border at Midway, BC. From there it will be a bit of the KVR & forest roads going up the "East Side" toward Revelstoke, Clearwater & Quesnel. Then toward Telkwa & Terrace. There will be a few side roads off the Cassier. Once in the Yukon we'll be poking around & exploring as much as possible. If there is enough time left we'll venture on to Inuvik then maybe on to Alaska to poke around & see places we haven't before.

Have fun everyone.....& be safe!
    eemsreno likes this.
  4. -Chris-

-Chris- Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I'm guessing there won't be any cold beer avail when I stop by for tent space on my way up in July??
  5. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Sure there will! We had 21 tent space guests this past summer. Being I was laid up, Mrs. Sleddog took care of everything! Including keeping the beer fridge stocked!

[​IMG]
    slothy and 1RelaxedRider like this.
  6. -Chris-

-Chris- Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great! I planned to get in touch in the near future to ask if it would be ok... consider this your fair warning.
    Sleddog likes this.
  7. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip. Hope to see you on the road this summer. Ride safe!
    Sleddog likes this.
  8. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks. Leaving High Point on June 11 and will head out to Taos, Ouray, Moab, Bear Lake, Salmon and Missoula before heading into Canada on the east side of Glacier. Should be on the road around six weeks or so.

Mike
  9. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I've got a move to west coast tentatively scheduled for this summer... if by dumb luck it happens much earlier, I may go for AK this year, but more likely it'll have to wait for '17.

@Mustang28027 I've been looking at a lot of photos of the Dalton and I'm still planning on having a go at it with PR4s on my Monster when the time comes. I did a bit of dirt/mud/sand/gravel out west this past summer with that setup and fared fine despite not airing down.
    Mustang28027 likes this.
  10. soluciones

soluciones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chris see in the road alaska 2016 4 RIDERS ARGENTINOS MOUNT KAWASAKI KLR 650
  11. svahadean

svahadean und I.M. von Daring

Oddometer:
    The future :pynd
  12. jBreeze

jBreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am finding this thread very interesting and helpful.
    I will be heading north to Deadhorse launching from the HU Ontario event on June 12th with an arrival in Fairbanks set around June 24th. I will be blowing across Canada once I get away from the Great Lakes region. I will slow down a bit once I hit the Rockies and on through the ALCAN Hwy. The return trip will have me sliding down the west coast to Vancouver Island before heading for the east coast
    I am interested in partnering up along any portion of my trip.
    riding my GS1150A.
    DH 3 copy.jpg
  13. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy. I'll be leaving NC on May 2nd heading to CO and UT before turning north. Should be in Dawson City by June 15th for the D2D event. You probably have them already but I have a database of most of the routes, campgrounds, motels, and bike maint places that have been recommended by other riders in Canada and Alaska if you would like the file. Go here and look at post #191. You can grab the GPX file there. Ride safe!
    boatpuller and jBreeze like this.
  14. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm heading North from Texas around May 7th. Sure would like to find a riding partner.
  15. Mustang28027

Mustang28027 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im in Concord, NC. I headed up that way too. PM me if you wanna talk about the ride and route. Dave
  16. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Leaving Mt Home, ID on June 3rd and heading north to Fairbanks, then on to Deadhorse.
    I will wind back down to Valdez before ending up in Eagle and Dawson City.
    Exact dates unkown...
  17. soluciones

soluciones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are 4 Argentine riders on KLR 650,
    we would like to share route. We think of some camping.
    We depart from Los Angeles on June 22 north.
  18. xjwheeler

xjwheeler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a couple of us from NC are headed North this summer! I'll be pulling out of Charlotte either the 29th or 30th of June to meet up with my buddies from Ohio in St. Louis to start our journey to Deadhorse.
  19. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell I'm joining all of you as well.....just a touch later. I've got a buddy riding up from Southern CA to me in Northern CA and we are leaving July 26th for 6 weeks. Plan to head up toward Banff, Icefields Parkway, Watson Lake, Inuvik (minor detour), Fairbanks, Prudhoe Bay, Homer, Whittier (ferry to Valdez), Kennecott Mine, Tok, Haines (Kroschel Wildlife Center), Ferry to Skagway and meandering back home.

I'm on an old '07 GSA and my buddy is on a '07 GS so tools will be easier. I'm running a K60 rear and a Mitas E09 front. I figure I will get a new E09 at some point (Fairbanks area) and go from there. MoskoMoto Backcountry 40 plus my stock panniers.

The misses is in full support for me to go so that helps. My buddy bought a spot but I'm thinking I wouldn't mind something similar for myself just to have. I hope I don't overpack....I keep thinning my "essentials" down.

I've been reading and reading and reading yet I feel so dumb still. All I can say is I can't wait and is it July 26th yet?
  20. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Less than 2 months before my departure. My riding buddy decided not to go so I plan to ride to the Arctic Circle and hopefully will find some others in Fairbanks to tag along with up to Prudhoe Bay.