Alaska July 2016 - Planning, Prepping, Psyching

Discussion in 'Americas' started by -Chris-, Oct 4, 2015.

1. motor_roy

motor_roy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When are you planning on being in Fairbanks? My brother in law (and maybe a 3rd) and I are aiming for an arrival on July 11 or 12 in Fairbanks, then on to Deadhorse the next day.
  2. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I think ill be in Fairbanks about the same time.

Sent from under a rock using Tapatalk
  3. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Go to the UAF Dorms... It's basically the staging area for the Dalton... Folks getting ready to leave and folks getting back from up North... Up to the hour personal reports from riders just off the road.

Easy to hook up with riders to go North....
    svahadean likes this.
  4. -Chris-

-Chris- Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it pretty normal to just walk in to the UAF dorms and get a room for a few nights, or are reservations needed?

Also, What food do you guys normally carry with you, are you not worried about bears?
  5. svahadean

svahadean und I.M. von Daring

Oddometer:
    :jack
  6. -Chris-

-Chris- Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mean obviously I'm not going to be riding around with chicken strips and hot dogs in my tank bag, but would some granola bars or freeze dried food in sealed packages be an issue? While camping, I'm going to try and be in camp grounds where there are other people. I'm not keen on solo camping in the woods that far north.
  7. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Wherever you camp in bear country, black or brown, there should never be ANY food of any kind, toothpaste, perfume, cologne or anything with any odor! Tall order? Yup! Do your best! Some major campgrounds Will have food lockers, in other places you either hang your stuff or put it in a bear proof canister and leave it a long ways from camp.

This is the very short version.. Anyone planning to camp in bear country should learn proper bear protocol... And I don't mean from a thread in a motorcycle forum!

Go look it up! It is an important part of your planning everyone! Even if you just go to a few of the appropriate Natl Park websites and see what they say about bear safety!

To safely travel by motorcycle and camp in bear country the only thing you really need for safety equipment is an educated and working brain...
    CharlestonADV likes this.
  8. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm certainly no expert and, with an Alaska trip coming up in less than five weeks, that's why I've been trying to educate myself. What I've gleaned from the ADV forum is no food or anything than smells like food in the tent. That includes toothpaste and other scented items in your toiletries kit. Freeze dried foods go in a bear box with the aforementioned items. If you cook, do it 100 yards or more from your camp. If you grill steaks, burgers, etc., make sure the clothes you're wearing go in the bear box, too. From what I've read, bears have a sense of smell that 400 time greater than a bloodhound.

Just my 2¢. Hopefully, those who have experience and know more than me will post very soon. I'm still learning!

Mike
  9. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    I'm not bringing a stove or food with me. There's plenty of places to eat on the road. I'll eat dinner at a restaurant or buy snacks to eat dinner before heading to my campsite or motel.

10. -Chris-

-Chris- Long timer

Oddometer:
    31 days and counting....
  11. Gvrider

Gvrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not really keeping track like you but leaving Nor Cal to Deadhorse in 32 days 12 hours 56 minutes and 42 seconds. .............

Yea......i guess I'm anxious. Have a great one Chris.

IMG_1282.JPG
    Hikertrash and motor_roy like this.
  12. ak bike

ak bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bears are always a favorite topic camping . I do think it's a concern but sometimes gets over thought. I cook in camp on a bike trip I stick left over scraps in a furnished dumpster in a regular camp ground otherwise away from the camp site.I eat up what I fixed ,I buy camp food for just 2 days packaged to cut the load ,I store my unopened food in my metal bike boxes , park boxes are great if they have them . If you get hung up on a lot of articles that go into mouth wash, hairspray ,tooth paste your gonna go nuts. What about the steak breath your exhaling in your tent.? Brush your teeth first hummm that won't work ,If bears are a big worry don't get on a bike that has a 1000 times greater chance of doing you in and that most of us don't fret about . Bear spray is good to have for that 10000 to 1 chance , I carry it . I have been in Alaska 53 years after the age 32. If you feel more comfortable trying to cover every base that's ok too, comfort level is important , no right or wrong just giving you my take from a number of alcan trips and years camping in Alaska. If your lucky you'll get a chance to see a couple of bear ( sometimes a bunch in the spring grazing along the road north of Fort Nelson. Have a great trip . So far it's a banner summer up here.
    Spaggy, -Chris- and mikegc like this.
  13. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, AK Bike. Gotta admit, I've done a bunch of reading about bears . . . . probably normal for someone from my part of the world. After speaking with Dan Armstrong in Fairbanks, I'm not terribly concerned about them. He said the moose are what scares him. Anyway, we ain't skeerd.

Mike
    ak bike likes this.
  14. mercurydog47

mercurydog47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just rode up to Skagway last summer via Coeur d'Alene, Banff, Jasper, Dawson Creek and the Alaska Highway. My homeward route took me back the Alaska Highway to the Cassiar Highway and down to a little detour to Stewart and Hyder then on Smithers, Whistler and West Vancouver to the Nanaimo Ferry. You get the idea. It was a long and very pleasant road trip which is now 100% paved at least over the route I just described. I did the whole trip on a set of Michelin Pilot Power 4s and they were perfect because I never went offroad. The northern sections you are planning are not something with which I am familiar. I guess the degree of difficulty is dependent on the unpaved portions. Survival tip: buy fresh fruit and snacks to have in your kit when you stop at the rest stops...these same items may be your only supper at least once a trip. Even a single packet of reconstituted dried soup can be a welcome relief from the endless chain of burgers and fries you will meet. Prepare to have a lot of fun.
  15. mercurydog47

mercurydog47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was up there in late July to mid August in 2015 and I had reserved rooms all the way. This did cut down on the spontaneity a lot but in some of the more popular waterholes like Banff and Jasper it was pretty important and a whole lot cheaper than wingin' it. Places like Teslin there was no other option but the one place and I had the last available room. If you don't camp, ever, then you might need to at least call around a day or two ahead to be sure you have a place.
  16. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    That looks like my exact route as well. Leaving July 5th and I know the month of June is going to seem like forever.

17. svahadean

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg

Amen, brother! Lunch on the Denali Hwy, July 2015 ... leftovers from dinner the night before: water, spinach, corn, carrot, mixed nuts and an apple; granola emergency bars are in the little white bag.
  18. Gvrider

Gvrider Adventurer

Oddometer:

We'll Probably will cross paths maybe have a brew. you'll know my GSA by my little riding buddy on the top case.

ride far and ride safe.

John M.

IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
  19. svahadean

Oddometer:
    I know it's a rule of thumb anyway, but for what it's worth, eyes wide open around Fort Nelson area.
    Last year, a local Canuck told me that there's a high rate of drunk driving incidents up around there.
    Be safe, happy travels.
  20. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guessing we'll probably see you, and many others, along the way...we're heading out from the Denver metro area on 16July. Planning to be at Adventure Cycleworks in Fairbanks on 28July for new tires. (already purchased)
    burley likes this.