Alaska July 2016 - Planning, Prepping, Psyching

Discussion in 'Americas' started by -Chris-, Oct 4, 2015.

1. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    You guys are funny... Read up on bear protocol, bring your brain with you, if you camp keep it clean (see bear protocol), and if you're in the woods make some noise! Especially if you're near flowing water where there's more ambient noise... If you see a bear DONT try to get closer to get a better picture! Being an apex predator they are very aware of something stalking them!
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree but.....after many years in Law Enforcement and not being able to carry my trusty Glock into Canada I figure I can also use the spray for the two legged dirtbag bears too :) I've camped many times in bear country and I agree totally its all common sense stuff. I don't want to start another gun argument...just want an equalizer
    MtnRider2 likes this.
  3. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've read all the bear advice, and know that there are a lot of campers deep in bear country that never have any problems.
    However, it makes me a little nervous to go to sleep in a tent in bear country with no deterrent at all.

I never carry any food with me other than a few granola bars which I hope are sealed tight enough that a bear won't smell them. But I also carry toothpaste which some claim will attract a bears attention, if I remember I don't take that in my tent.

I camped in Teslin and the lady told me a bear had walked right through the middle of the campground that morning, I pitched my tent and didn't think much about it. The next night I was refused a tent site in Dease Lake because the lady there said she heard there were bears in the woods so I got a room. Bears in the woods, who would've thought? :confused
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    Just outside of Dease Lake is where a large grizzly ran up from the treeline to meet me at the road as I rode past. I know the vast majority of people are never hassled by them, and I intend to remain in that club even if it means getting a room.

John
    FLARider1 likes this.
  5. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    Hum, noted... might want to rethink camping around that area. I can't remember where it was the last time I drove down the road, There was one camp ground we stopped at that has signs saying no tent/soft side vehicle camping due to bears. We slept in the car that night... I made sure I didn't have to get up for the bathroom in the middle of the night either. :hmmmmm
    scarysharkface likes this.
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Question for you guys that travel in Canada from the U.S.....this will be my first time....I will be buying a new iPhone 6s that is unlocked. In the simplest terms (I'm not that tech savvy) can I buy a nano sim like this one from Amazon, stick it in when I cross the border and all will be well? I need to be able to keep in touch with all my girlfriends back in the lower 48. I've read the instructions but is there anything in the small print I need to be aware of when I try to set it up or is it easy to do? Or is there a better and cheaper way to go without the iPhone? Thanks in advance for the help.
  7. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Who's your carrier? I have Verizon. I'm sure AT&T has a similar plan. When I go to Canada or Mexico I change my plan for International, then change it back when I get home. I think it costs about $15.00 per month.

When are you going?
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I don't have any smart phone plan with any carrier here in the States. I use a little flip phone with ATT for calls and my iPad mini for data when I have WIFI. I thought about the unlocked iPhone to use for calls and data for my trip. That way I can use one thing for any photos, vids, email, and surfing the net when needed. I want to keep the stuff I'm traveling with to a minimum.

I'm leaving NC towards the end of May heading to Moab then following the spring north to Prudhoe. Taking my time...got the rest of my life for the trip :)
  9. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    I've switched to using the little ADV Tablet like basher3 shows HERE It does everything I need for on the road emails, web surfing, & using mapping software.

I'm leaving about the 1st of June, again. We'll be riding as much off pavement as possible from home, all the way to Terrace, BC. Taking our time too....'cause you know...I've got the day off!
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sounds great Mr. Sleddog! I'll be leaving between the middle and end of May.

That's an interesting little tablet. I will read up on it in more detail later. I've got most of my routes and waypoints done now and will load them into my Montana 600. I think I'm going to get the iPhone 6s Plus to use for everything. That way my only electronic stuff will be that and my little Go Pro. I just need one thing to make short calls or receive the occasional text, email, to take photos to remember the trip, a way to pay my bills online, and check things on the net. I've had iPhones since they came out but gave up my 5 when I realized I didn't need or want to keep in touch with other people 24 hours a day. Got a little flip phone through my govt account (Sheriff) for $15 a month for 550 minutes. I check my email once or twice a day and only spend a bunch of time on the net when I'm home between trips.

Hope to see you on the road somewhere this summer.
  11. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Nope, no remote stuff for me but good reading thanks. I like to camp but it is not a mandatory part of the "Adventure" for me. If the weather is bad I'll motel it. If the campground is nice I'll camp. From what I read there are many great places to stay all over AK.
  13. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    People get killed by their own dogs and slip and die in the shower.... Let's be afraid to live...
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep...I spent many years getting shot at, beat on, and yelled at as a cop....wasn't scared then and not now....a little common sense goes a long way :)
    MtnRider2 and XXMe like this.
  15. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Yup, and if you're riding all the way to Alaska on a motorcycle you've got a lot more to worry about than bears!
  16. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not playing down the need for common sense with bears but this ^ is the quote of the day. ^
    Well said. :clap
  17. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
  18. wingnut11

wingnut11 generally strange

Oddometer:

That is an area to be mindful of the bears. A little bit north of there I stopped by the side of the road to have a smoke, and a griz came strolling out of the woods about 15 feet from me and the bike. I yelled at the bear "you need to get the fuck out of here", in retrospect I was probably yelling at myself just as much as the bear. Anyway it got about 10 feet from me before I gave it a blast of bear spray, and it stopped. I yelled at it some more and gave it two more blasts before it ran off. I guess the point is even if you are a careful camper you can still have shit happen to you, so be prepared.
    jBreeze and scarysharkface like this.
  19. Catracho

Catracho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll add myself to the list of people heading north this summer.
    I'll be leaving California mid May, a week in central Oregon late May and no plans till a wedding in Palmer, AK in late June.
    No destination, itinerary or ideas of where to go/what to see.
    Currently riding in Thailand so Alaska in 5 months isn't my primary thought every morning. But it's nice to see so many other adv'ers will be up there as well.

I'll alternate between hotels and my camping hammock and riding a 650
    Versys.

Looking forward to it
    I'm going to wing it w/o bear spray
    If it's my time to be savaged by a grizzly it's my time
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I went ahead and reserved a room for Thursday the 16th and Friday the 17th of June at the Triple J Hotel in Dawson City. It's the headquarters for the D2D event. If anyone is going and needs a place to crash when you get there the room has two beds and plenty of floor space.