Alaska June 2013

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Loro17, Dec 27, 2012.

1. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We ended up in Rocky Mountain House (City) looks simple enough to go west and north from here. The police had closed the roads going west from Calgary, they were the ones that sent us here.
    Good luck w your trip. Hopefully the roads will be open. I wanted to ride IceField Pkwy. Glacier was very nice. They just opened the Road to the Sun.
  2. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet - I saw that you "detoured" to Glacier on the way up. Hopefully this little re-route is your only bump in the trip..::D

Safe travels...
  3. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Don't follow our track from today. We did 100 miles of very dusty gravel. Ok for the lead guy, it's 50+ mph stuff, but the last guy (me) ate too much dust.
    In Ft Nelson tonight.
  4. bwanajames

bwanajames Moto sapien

Oddometer:
    Good day today! After 7 months of vacillating, the boss finally approved my month vacation. And... I got the bike back together, turned the key... no smoke, sparks or left-over parts! 12 days and counting. :ricky[​IMG]
  5. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    FYI. The Alcan is fine through to Whitehorse. We've run into only two active construction sites where we had to wait for a pilot car. Have made excellent time getting here. Over to Fairbanks today, and Deadhorse tomorrow. Lots of rain yesterday, but not bad. I've seen a lot of bikes headed south. [​IMG]
  6. NightProwler

NightProwler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the update
  7. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm back home. What a trip. 9,900 miles in 16 days. Biggest surprise; it was warmer in Alaska than is was in Missouri. [​IMG]
  8. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    10k miles in 16 days? :clap Was this some sort of a IBA challenge?
  9. Philander

Philander Someday...

Oddometer:
    Well, I made it.
    Left Ottawa 7,500km ago....am sleeping tonight in Inuvik. I am at the halfway point of my trip.

So far,.......awesome!!
  10. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Ha! Not exactly, but I'm sure it looks that way. I just decided to try and see as much as I could in the only time I could get away. It's difficult to do a big ride like this in 2 weeks, it works fine for me, but would not be everyone's 1st choice.
  11. FastHotWheels

FastHotWheels Chris Dempsey

Oddometer:
    I'm half way through my trip id the sea to sky and top of the world highways, some great times will start the return trip next Sunday.

Updates and photos at
    http://ridealaskasolo.blogspot.com/
  12. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    I was up there last week.
    On the Top of the World Road, I took the turn off towards Eagle. It's a beautiful road along a nice canyon. I guy had told me there were a lot of moose down that way. I took it to a neat wood bridge/river crossing (not that far) just some great views along there. I didn't go far enough, I guess, to see the moose though. Ha..
  13. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading up to Prudhoe bay tomorrow morning if anyone wants to ride it together. :ear
  14. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Always hopeful, yet discontent

Oddometer:
    That is a fine looking manly garage. Nice bike, bbq grill, canoe, sweet tool rack, etc... Good luck on your vacation.