Alaska: June 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wilsonjw42, Mar 25, 2018.

1. wilsonjw42

wilsonjw42 Long rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm headed to Alaska from Northern Virginia in June 2020, planning on about a month on the road. I'm planning on riding a 2017 R1200GS Adventure, and will be doing the ride two-up. This will be my first time on the Alaska Highway on a motorcycle, and I'm looking forward to the trip.

The rough plan so far is to ride from here to Idaho pretty much straight through, then turn north into the Canadian Rockies and slow down to do a lot more flower-sniffing.

I have a lot of ideas of where I want to go already, but wanted to get this thread started to collect more ideas and opinions, and engage in other inmates you may be headed north that year, as well.
  2. Pepe le pew

Pepe le pew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in on this bad boy. My plan is very similar WV to Alaska in 2020 on a 2003 DL1000.
    mutt550, Hi-De-Ho and wilsonjw42 like this.
  3. LApilot

LApilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a tad bit early for me. I don't retire til October 2020 so I won't be free to play nomad till then. Have a great trip.
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  4. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depending on how early in June you'll be headed north, you might consider doing Beartooth Pass on the way, or at least hitting the Big Horn Mts in Wyoming. Those are two that I aim for nearly every time I make the run back and forth between Alaska and the Midwest or Eastern U. S. That sets you up for entering Canada on either the east or west side of the Rockies and on a path toward the Icefields Parkway. After over 50 years of such travel, I've found the west approach to be slightly superior - up through western Montana on US93 or Idaho on US95. Either will get you to Radium Hot Springs, BC where I'll follow BC & AB 93 through the Kootenais and on up to the parkway, or - another one that has its own appeal after you get to Golden and head east - BC95 north and then an "interesting" side trip in to Takakkaw Falls (your pillion passenger will need to dismount while you negotiate a couple of turns :D) in Yoho Nat'l Park just past Field, BC. No matter which route you follow, there is some beautiful scenery everywhere in the Canadian Rockies.
  5. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Retiring in 2019 August. My son lives in Wasilla. Made the trip once but going back. Riding at Ktm 990 now. The first time I rode it to fast going to take as much time as I need the next time... Living in North east Ohio.. Can't wait..
    Alaskahack, mutt550 and wilsonjw42 like this.
  6. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Go to the D2D gathering. (It’s not a rally!)
    Right around the summer solstice.
    Hi-De-Ho and wilsonjw42 like this.
  7. RG1984

RG1984 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you planning on camping along the way or hitting hotels along the way?
  8. wilsonjw42

wilsonjw42 Long rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm riding two-up, and my S.O. doesn't like camping as much as she likes riding, so will be doing the hotel thing this time. A lot more $$$$, but hot showers, fewer bugs, and less opportunity for dismounted critter encounters. I'll miss the camping, but not enough to ride solo!
    bobw, Dan Lorenze and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  9. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m going up from WI in 2018, but am hoping to ride up every other year so that puts me in 2020. That trip, that I’m already planning for, will be less extreme. This year I’m taking up a 650 single and want to do a lot of unpaved roads. 2020 will be on my 1200GS and will not be as gnarley. This year will be my first attending D2D, and that will help decide when in 2020 I will be going back up.
    Hi-De-Ho and wilsonjw42 like this.
  10. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    two up you may have to make a tire change, the chip seal up there eats tires
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  11. Wreckman

Wreckman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am tooling up for the same ride. Riding 2 up on a 2011 gs and plan to hotel and camp when they are not available. My retirement trip. I rode up once before solo. I have wanted to show my wife this trip from a bike before we are to old to do it.
    wilsonjw42, Tewster2 and djroszina like this.
  12. red clay

red clay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Travel the Dalton Highway. Astounding scenery. The Yukon River, the arctic circle, and up to the Brooks Range north of Coldfoot, AK are definitely worth a visit. The trucks are manageable, just get out of their way. It is not necessary to go all the way to Prudoe Bay to enjoy the far north.

Ride on!
    Dan Lorenze and wilsonjw42 like this.
  13. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep the Dalton is beautiful....if you don't have the time to do the whole thing at least ride over Atigun Pass, and north through Atigun Valley to Galbraith Lake...then turn around. Every time I ride the Dalton I'm amazed at how beautiful the area is. Ride slow enough to look around....enjoy.
    ejm4, Blackfin31 and Dan Lorenze like this.
  14. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm in... I need to go back and visit the places that I missed in 2017... too many places to see through the northwest territories and Alaska in just one 30+ day adventure...

what's your general route and POIs?? with that known... inmates that have traveled that route before can provide some clarity and insight along your intended route...
    bobw and wilsonjw42 like this.
  15. djadvrider

djadvrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id like to make it that way one day!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    mutt550 likes this.
  16. Arcticman

Arcticman LIFE IS A DARING ADVENTURE OR NOTHING.

Oddometer:
    I live in Fairbanks and can answer Many questions. I'm considering setting up a moto B&B specifically for bikers heading north to Prudoe etc... a staging area (I'll have 2 bedrooms, garage/shop, tent space, good water and quiet area with view of Mt McKinley.
    ejm4, DKW1200, wingtraveler and 7 others like this.
  17. serf1210

serf1210 n00b

Oddometer:

I’m looking to go up in June of 2019 from New Jersey. Trying to find other riders to ride with. If can’t find any riders will do it alone. I will be riding on a ultra limited. Can’t do much off rode riding . Hope to run into others making the trip. Good luck on your trip
    ejm4, bobw, wilsonjw42 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @serf1210 , the only real concern you will have with riding your Ultra Limited up there, is the belt drive. Many other belt drive riders have done it....it IS possible....just be aware, and take precautions as best you can. The bike itself will do fine, other than the beating and abuse that the paint will take from all the gravel thrown at you (and that is gravel thrown by the KTM riders standing off on the shoulder of the roads, as you pass by, because their KTM has broken down)...not including the gravel thrown at you by the passing cars/trucks/RVs. :zilla

Once you are north of Prince George, B.C., about 1/3 of your miles will be on graded gravel/dirt roads...which means 2/3rds of the roads will be chip seal/paved.

I have seen 1000 H-Ds up there, and the riding is not the problem, so if you are a good rider.....you won't have any issues.

I am going up this year on a '17 Wee-3 XT...going up next year on a older Wing with Sidecar attached to it. Going up in 2020 on something.....if I am still able to ride.
  19. Arcticman

Arcticman LIFE IS A DARING ADVENTURE OR NOTHING.

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for a temporary 'base of operation' for the Dalton, Steese, Parks, or Richardson Highways, I have 2 rooms to rent, or tent camping, or parking for support vehicle. It is just north of Fairbanks in a very quiet area. Just text me at 907-947-7979. Nothing fancy but all the essentials (like a garage out of the weather, with some tools).
  20. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    I am also doing a late june 2020 trip either with my wing and wife or a nc750x or africa twin not sure on which one yet. i plan on leaving june 20 2020 for 5 weeks from Norwich,ny up the alcan and back through the cassiar into glacier still in the planning route stage because of the wife thing