Alaska: June 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wilsonjw42, Mar 25, 2018.

1. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    will look you up when i am in fairbanks, i am planning a ride to the circle sign and then back. thanks
  2. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @wingtraveler , I would politely suggest that you go UP the Cassiar Hwy first, and come DOWN the Alcan Hwy.......rather than the direction you were planning.
    djroszina likes this.
  3. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    ok i read alot on here to go the alcan first then the cassiar on way back and some even say to go the cassiar both ways, this is my first time up and i would like to go both so can i ask why the cassiar first?
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  4. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    also my entance into canada would be in Portal

upload_2018-11-2_18-38-26.png
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  5. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    good to know i will look into my route and see what i can do with it any info is great info for someone like me on there first trip up enjoy reading all of alaska stuff on here get good info looking more on campgrounds also
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go head to download my database for your gps of campgrounds, motels, fuel, etc

https://advrider.com/f/threads/updated-alaska-canada-waypoints.1186689/
    wingtraveler likes this.
  7. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
  8. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have no real reason to visit Regina, and you want to make good time to the more northern reaches, get onto SK39 at Estavan and follow it all the way to Moose Jaw. Then north on 2 to 11 and up to Saskatoon. After that, just follow TC-16 (Yellowhead Hwy) west through Edmonton to AB43 (called "Alaska Highway" there) and away you go. That would put you on the Alcan to Alaska, rather than the Cassiar, and you would miss the Icefields Pkwy. But you could hit those places on the way back south.

If you want to hit the Icefields Pkwy and the Cassiar on the way north, you would probably be better off to stay down in the U.S. until you are at least in Montana or Idaho. Highways are good, prices are lower, and there is just as much to see as there is riding across the Prairie Provinces for an equal number of days.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  9. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    how much dirt is from circle sign to coldfoot? is there places to camp at coldfoot ? food? i may go as far as coldfoot and then make the return trip the next day to fairbanks?
  10. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    yes i was going to go through t hem on the way back down the cassiar into jasper, icefields, glacier hows this change
    upload_2018-11-3_21-49-24.png
  11. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks better. Are you coming across Minnesota on US2?

On the Dalton, pavement (old, patched) starts at MP 90 north of the Yukon (AC wayside is at MP115), and continues beyond Coldfoot, which is at MP175. There are short stretches of gravel along the way, such as at "Oh, Shit" corner not far beyond the Circle, but all those are usually pretty well maintained. Be aware that early in the season there will be quite a bit of road maintenance taking place as DOT repairs the winter's damages. That means there can be stretches of freshly laid, or freshly graded gravel that can be a bit unnerving if you aren't accustomed to riding on loose surfaces.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  12. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-11-3_22-43-19.png

day 1
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  13. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-11-3_22-48-2.png

day 2 yes going across rt 2
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  14. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I will be following this. I will retire in 2019 and plan to head up north from Seattle area in late May/ early June 2020 (weather permitting). I plan to head up to Hyder and then back south to visit all of the remaining 48 states.

Good luck with you planning!

doc
  15. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking back at my original plans back in May, I have some changes for 2020 as for what transpired in June of this year. I had to abandon my attempt at riding to Tuk and the Arctic ocean by just 10 miles due to weather and MUD. Then, after arriving in AK and being inundated with rain, and the forcast for it for 4-5 more days straight, I headed home early. So, where my 2020 plans were for a less intense trip, I'm now going to try and replicate my intended itinerary from June 2018. This will leave the 1200GS at home and put me back on the 650 Dakar. Also, I'm leaning towards going in August just after Sturgis instead of June. The emerging fall colors in western Canada and AK are a real bonus for me at that time of year...they should have a fall version of D2D...just sayin'
    bobw, Bigbob1 and Tewster2 like this.
  16. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @wingtraveler The route you posted west of St. Ignace is the route I call my quick route and have taken it dozens of times to an from Alaska to the UP. I find it good for getting across the prairie. Continue on the Yellowhead highway #16 to Edmonton
  17. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to avoid all the traffic going thru Edmonton coming from the east on 16 turn north on highway 21 to Fort Saskatchewan. Then get on on highway 15 to highway 37 follow it west till it joins highway 43 well west of Edmonton.
    wingtraveler likes this.
  18. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    i will look into that thanks
  19. phacker

phacker n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of suggestions. First is 4 weeks is cutting it close. I have ridden to Alaska from San Diego 3 times and 5 weeks is comfortable. 4 weeks means you will be laying down some long days. Depending upon your passenger those long days can be rough. You also should take a day off here and there. Next, don’t leave out the Icefield Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper Canada.
    bobw likes this.
  20. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed the Cassiar this year on the way up and decided to take it back south also. No regrets. Great scenery and lots of animal photo ops!!