Alaska: June 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wilsonjw42, Mar 25, 2018.

1. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    yes i have rerouted it to go around edmonton
    Baccadon and Bigbob1 like this.
  2. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    ok have updated my trip plans the wife will be flying into anchorage july 11 and doing the rest of the journey with me so for now it will be me the wing and camper heading to anchorage from june 27 2020 and picking her up july 11 2020 that gives me 14 days to get to the airport i will be staying at the eagle claw for 2 nights maybe july 3rd and 4th do some maintenance the 3rd oil and stuff then head to chicken the 4th for the day if anyon is in the area and would like to join me you'll know where i will be by the way i purchased a africa twin just incase the wife decides not to go at the last min.
  3. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    :lurk :drink

Have a blast and don't waste time getting "there", 3-4 weeks will be less time than one may think as it's a vast region with so much to enjoy.

Safe travels!
  4. BMWDreaming

BMWDreaming Yes I ride a KTM

Oddometer:
    I am looking to go up to Tuk in June/July of 2020. I am on a KTM 1190 Adventure. Not a retirement ride for me just a long goal to get to the Arctic ocean by motorcycle.
    ejm4 and wingtraveler like this.
  5. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    May cross paths somewheres up there
  6. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I went up last year someone had setup a Spotwalla page you could join and see other travelers up there. It allowed me to connect with many folks.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  7. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    i'm using a inreach se+ which can connect to a spot walla page looking into it and also i can use mapshare which lets others see my travel during the day and i have unlimited email,text, facebook available all the time
  8. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was granted a leave of absence from work in 2020 and AK is finally going to happen. I just don't know when I should do this ride. I see a lot of ride reports posted in May and June which seems really early from my perspective ( I'm thinking wet, cold and bugs..yuck.) I live in Colorado where we can't event think about riding through the state until after Independence Day. I'm thinking August/Sept and realize that early autumn may be late and snow may be falling already ? I don't have a huge desire to go to Prudeau but want to explore Denali, Artic Circle, Southern coastal sections.

Disclaimer: I understand that weather fluctuates wildly, from year to year and day to day but I'm looking to those of you with experience up there to help point me in the right direction.

Early Summer June/July or Late Summer August/September ?
  9. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    i'm heading out june 27 2020 for 5 weeks that would put me back home beginning of aug i may change dates maybe mid july for 5 weeks ?
  10. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We left the second week of June last year and hit snow through a portion of Canada. The Dalton was a wet muddy mess last year. I waited in Fairbanks for a week in an attempt to get to Deadhorse but the weather never broke. The worse time we had bugs was in a camp in northern California and at the Arctic Circle. At the Cassiar Hwy/Alcan Jct. gas stop i thought the biting flies were never going to leave me alone.
    Google best month to explore Alaska and June seems to come up often but like you said the weather changes from hour to hour up there. I see many ride reports on the forum that set out on days with no rain predicted but ended up riding in the rain. Be prepared to stay both dry and warm all the time and then work with the weather as needed during your daily travels. Good luck!!!
    shotty_co likes this.
  11. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m going to ad myself to this list. Have already announced my need for a few weeks off next summer. They can live without me for a few weeks or they can just live without me. Next year will be my 65th on this world, time to do something for ME! Right now have a 1050 tiger and an XCX explorer. I’m considering trailering as far as Colorado from here ( south ga ) but am flexible. Have been reading about others experiences doing the AK ride. Will keep a eye here as well. Beartooth pass is definitely a must do ride for sure. Western Montana, glacier national park, Yellowstone, all worth the time and ride. From there up into Alberta.
    wingtraveler likes this.
  12. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, I'm in the planning stages for a late-May departure to Alaska in 2020... Loosely the plan is to ride up the ALCAN while seeing the sights along the way up to Fairbanks, hopefully the weather cooperates for a run to the Arctic Circle and over Atigun Pass... If not I'll head down to Paxson and run the Denali Hwy west to Cantwell, I might stop at Tangle River Inn for the night to catch the Northern Lights. Then continue down to Anchorage to relax for a couple of days before heading down to the Homer Spit and relax on the beach. Afterwards back up to Anchorage, get the bike ready for the trip down. On the way out visit Kennecott Mines, stop at Jen's for some Thai food, up to Chicken, and the TOTWH into Dawson City for a couple of days. Then head back home down the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy, get Hyderized, eat at the Bus, see some blue ice, and make the final leg back down to SoCal...

I have no time constraints so whenever I get back, I get back... I plan to ride no more that six to seven hours or 360 miles per day... The reason; so I can take my time to see some stuff along the way, which adds to your total time on the road, leaving me enough time to stop early and relax for the evening. I'll be camping most of the time since more often than not, lodging eats up funds quickly just as fast as the gas money...

Hope to see some you on the road next year...

cheers,
    :beer
  13. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Here's what I found over 3 trips

2014 - 9 days mid-August
    seriously hot in southern BC
    Rained 3 or 4 of the 9 days
    Dalton Hwy was dry & dusty to Arctic Circle

2016 - 2 weeks early July
    hotter than first trip in southern BC
    less rain than first trip
    didn't get to the Dalton on this trip

2018 - 2 weeks early July
    cold and rainy first 2 days
    record setting heat everywhere for the rest of the trip
    Dalton Hwy was dry to Coldfoot
    ejm4, Flyin' Monkeys and shotty_co like this.
  14. ananthc

ananthc Jus keep riding..

Oddometer:
    Are you planning to go all the way to Prudhoe bay ?
  15. Capt Scoots

Capt Scoots n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in the planning stages for June of 2020 and leaving from Baltimore, MD. I was thinking of doing it in 4 weeks with a buffer to 5. I will be on a KTM 1090 Adventure R. Two guys I know did it in 2016 on Harleys, both replaced their fenders, and one replaced a saddle bag when they got back. The stones that they kicked up dented the he!! out of their fenders from the inside-out, and they said they were going slow. One bought a R1200GS when he got back, he said the adventure bikes would just blow by them and he wants to do the trip again. They did it in July, but said they would do it in June next time. In their opinion, the flies should be less of a problem in June.

For those that have camped along the way, did you camp at campgrounds or do backcountry? I assume bears are a concern, what did you do to plan for critters? Are the bugs tolerable when camping. Inside my tent wouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to be couped up either. Should I just suck it up and plan on moteling it?
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    I did the ride to Alaska in 2017 and camped the majority of the way... I left in mid-May and had no problems with skeeters and flies... I alternated between improved campgrounds/RV parks with showers/flush toilets, they ranged from $20/$28 CAN. The provincial campgrounds with nothing but pit toilets... they were about $12/$20 CAN. I had no problems getting a campsite as I would stop by 5pm each day... I prefer camping vice motel, sure it's nice to relax in a room, watch TV and such but I like interacting with other people, having a fire while sipping on a couple of IPAs... It's nice to unplug and get back to basics... that's just me... I stayed in motels three of the 32 days I was on the road...

BTW, this guy walked up on me while I was responding to an e-mail... since I already had the phone in hand, I took a pic and just casually walked as if I didn't see him... I didn't bother him, he didn't bother me...
    IMG_0810.jpg
    Rippin209, bobw and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  17. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You and I have a similar plan. I’m in south ga. Was considering trailering as far as Colorado oe there abouts. 4-5 weeks allotted for the trip. Camping the majority of the time, maybe an occasional hotel. I’ll either be on an explorer or a 1050 tiger ( undecided as yet ) I’m an experienced street rider with enough experience ( and respect) for the dirt to be comfortable . 100 miles or 500 plus miles a day isn’t a problem. I’ve been thru the northwest already on a couple of trips. Would be great to ride beartooth pass again. The campgrounds are definitely worth the few extra $ verses the wilderness camping but in a have to situation I’m prepared.
    Capt Scoots and mb289 like this.
  18. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    June... less bugs, cooler some years
    July... Bugs, warmer/hot in the interior
    August... Bugs early in the month, cooling off the last half of the month
    Sept... No bugs, you could hit snow in every high spot
    shotty_co likes this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    What's the precipitation average like from 15 Aug through 15 Sept???
  20. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most years that time frame can be dryer but some years it can rain for a month but I am in Juneau and it always rains here.... For 30+ years we have gone to the Yukon over Labor day. It can be warm and dry or cold and wet/snowy. I have also ridden as safety patrol for the Klondike Relay, a foot race from Skagway to Whitehorse. It is the weekend after Labor Day and I volunteer for the pass out of Skagway. 3 out of 8 or 9 times I have ridden in snow in the summit.
    I am sure a google search will get you ave. precipitation for the Yukon and Alaska