Alaska: June 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wilsonjw42, Mar 25, 2018.

1. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Looks like Aug & Sept are 3X higher than May as far as rain goes...
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  2. 1956Kmack

1956Kmack This is the Last One - I promise

Oddometer:
    Aside from the bankroll, bike setup, permission from work, and permission from the boss I think I have nearly everything I need for this trip.

It's on my bucket list and I'm not sure waiting any longer is going to work in my favor.

Travlr_45 got me to thinking about it so I reckon I should start seeing how many of the hurdles in my way I can eliminate.

No commitment but mark me as a definite maybe.

We'll see what transpires this next year. If things fall right, I'd love to make the trip.
  3. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do wknd and week long trip every year. I keep telling myself “ next year “ im going to,do this trip or that trip and something seems to come along and postpone it. I now have the bike, the $, and the time all at the same time. Time for talk has passed. A few ad-on accessories, an updated gps, the right tent and sleeping bag. Riding gear is already in order. ITS TIME!!!
  4. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat, biggest hurdle is my plan would be departing June 12th and returning June 28th is my wife's birthday is June 22nd my wife's amazing and I think she won't give me to hard of a time about it.

That and the same things you listed (getting that exact time off from work being at the top of the list) other then that I simply need to start the prep
  5. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of the camping setup, I like the idea of the cot tents, any recommendations on camping gear?
  6. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    I have
    I have looked at lot's of chairs, cots, etc. and am thinking of buying something from Marchway just to review. Their designs and prices seem very good from what I can see.

Might be worth a look.
    Rippin209 likes this.
  7. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve never used a cot-tent so cant speak to how well it would work. For me a prefer some a at least big enough to get myself and my gear into as well as having enough space to change clothes comfortably. Right now I have a Kelty 2 man tent. I’ve spent several 3 day wknds in it in anything from rain and cold to warm muggy nights, it hasn’t failed me yet. I do need to get a good sleeping bag tho. Among trips to do on the bucket list is a trip up thru the northeast including Nova Scotia and Quebec.
  8. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Without spending $300 plus the most compact cot tent combo was still fairly large, I was looking at these instead

Mobihome Camping Backpacking Tent 2 3 Person Easy Setup, Instant Quick Up Portable Dome Tents for 3-Seasons Hiking & Mountain Outdoor, with Waterproof Rainfly and Ventilated Top Mesh - 7' x 6.3' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P327X4J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9ExgDb2XTP4WN

Mobihome Camping Backpacking Tent 2 3 Person Easy Setup, Instant Quick Up Portable Dome Tents for 3-Seasons Hiking & Mountain Outdoor, with Waterproof Rainfly and Ventilated Top Mesh - 7' x 6.3' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P327X4J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9ExgDb2XTP4WN

The black colored cot has a different leg/foot assembly then the other colors, which seems to address the issue of the legs coming undone if you don't roll of directly sideways. The cot is a bit pricy for what it is but I didn't see anything as good for less
  9. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For sleeping bags I was looking at these, although I haven't actually used either so I'm not actually recommending, just sharing what I've found, that looked good to me

MOON LENCE Adult Sleeping Bag for Women and Men Lightweight Compact Camping Suit Portable 4-Season Outdoor Sleeping Gear for Hiking Traveling https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQSKRR7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QmzgDbZGPG82N

SEMOO Sleeping Bag, Portable Lightweight Water Resistant Temp Rating 23F/-5C, Comfort 4 Season Envelope Sleeping Bags with Compression Sack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KK51547/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ghzgDb0BRHNBW
  10. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a Marmot Sawtooth on my last trip to AK. It is a 15 degree down bag. I needed every bit of that warmth. It's no fun being cold.
    Baccadon likes this.
  11. daysgoneby

daysgoneby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rippin209 likes this.
  12. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve had on occasions used a couple of those 10 hour hand warmers in the sleeping bag. Seems to work well enough. I’m still going to get a zero degree bag for this trip
  13. PA Slammer

PA Slammer I hate titles...

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on riding up from Colorado to the BMW MOA Rally in Great Falls for a couple days... then onward to Prudhoe Bay and back. Ive got about 3-4 weeks.
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  14. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure at this point what the schedule will be. At this point I’m still in a planning/prepping mode. I’m thinking early June for a departure but I’m flexible. There another rider here ( 1956Kmack ) who’s working on the same plan and we’ve been talking ideas about the trip. He’s got a few variables to workout. I think overall the odds are in our favor. Who knows, may see you on the road. Beartooth pass is definitely on my list.
  15. mb289

Oddometer:
    I'm going in 2020 also. This will be my second trip. First one was in 2016. To save tires and slab riding, I'm going to trailer out to CO this time. I will leave in early June to attend D2D and them up to Deadhorse. Hope to see some of you on the road!
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  16. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right up the road from me. I would be interested in hearing about your trip. Camp? Motel it? How long were you on the road? Last year I ran across a guy in middle ga. who had made the trip to Alaska but didn’t really get the opportunity to talk about it with him. I’ve done extended trips in the northwest before but this would be my farthest for sure.
  17. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    Looking at the calendar, my most likely window of opportunity will start on Saturday 30MAY2020 and end Sunday 05JUL2020.

If I'm limited to 4 weeks I would lose one but either end will work.
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  18. mb289

Oddometer:
    "You are right up the road from me. I would be interested in hearing about your trip. Camp? Motel it? How long were you on the road? Last year I ran across a guy in middle ga. who had made the trip to Alaska but didn’t really get the opportunity to talk about it with him. I’ve done extended trips in the northwest before but this would be my farthest for sure."

Here is a link to my ride report. https://advrider.com/f/threads/alaska-2016-from-charleston-sc.1177116/
  19. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good ride report! You turned around at the arctic circle! No interest in the run up to deadhorse?
  20. mb289

Oddometer:
    I was riding with a friend that only wanted to go to the Yukon River Camp. He went back to Fairbanks and I decided I would at least see the Arctic Circle. I always regretted not going to Deadhorse. I will be going to Deadhorse in 2020.