Alaska Marine Ferry from Whittier to Valdez

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Folly1, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the website shows it full, can/will they squeeze on 2 more motorcycles?

Do you have to have your own tie down straps or does the ferry have some we can use?

Thank you,

Ben Peeples
  2. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Will they squeeze on two more?

Maybe. Depends on how many motorcycles they've already put onboard ahead of you.
    If the sailing has reservations for cars/trucks/RVs only, they seem to always find room for a couple of motorcycles.
    Sometimes just waiting on standby for a no-show or cancelled reservation works, as well.

The ferries seem to usually have a few tie-down straps but I've never expected any and always bring my own. Again, it may depend on whether other riders have borrowed them ahead of you. Better to buy a few cheap ones than to be sorry. A typical tie-down arrangement with two to three straps and the bike on it's sidestand works fine.

Worst case scenario, it's a fun and beautiful day's ride between Whittier and Valdez, or a nice side trip on the ferry to Cordova.
  3. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of the time bikes can get on. Inquire at the ferry terminal, they may have a standby list. Yes you should have some tie downs, rope will do in a pinch.
  4. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I owe you.

b
  5. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting in line at Valdez hoping there would be room when the website showed the ferry as full.

There was a huge amount of room and their website was worthless as an indicator of available space.