Alaska May 27 - end of June 09

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dbarnes180, May 6, 2009.

1. Tinner

Tinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    leaving the 29th after work, only things not in the bags or pak will be tent, bag and pad. going up through washington state from the midwest. will have food for a couple of days along but only for getting holed up by weather.
    ya'll ride safe ya hear
    :D
  2. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Developments?
  3. Shewbert

Shewbert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forget Calgary! Once you leave Great Falls get north of the border and turn west on Hwy. #3, once you are west of Pincher Creek watch for Hwy. #22 (The Cowboy Trail) and turn north. Very scenic, Rockies on your left shoulder, rolling ranchland on your right. Hwy. #2 is BORING!!! IMHO. Turn west on #1 to Banff and then #1 and the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. From Jasper turn east on Hwy. #16 a short distance to Hinton, Then turn north on Hwy. #40 to Grand Cache, Grande Prairie (no services Grand Cache to Grande Prairie) and in to Dawson Creek & Mile "0".

Ride safe and watch for wildlife!
  4. dbarnes180

dbarnes180 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing new in my plans, as fluid as they are, that could change. Still practicing packing and discarding things lol. Riding around with it loaded, then unloading, then loading again. Moving this and that as needed, by when was the last time I needed it riding in the last year. The bike handles fantastic and is getting about 46 miles to the gallon loaded driving on two lane high ways around here.
    I am so ready to get on the road. I haven't got a heated liner yet but I ain't worried about that by any means. Been riding for 46 years without one in all seasons. Did I mention ..... I am ready to GO!
  5. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    I sure don't have any hard and fast route picked out. So is this the route your talking about? None of my maps, nor Google, lists Hwy. #22

Attached Files:

6. Shewbert

Shewbert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the yellow line just to the east of your route. Not sure what route it's showing you there. The turn off is just west of Pincher Creek and goes north to Black Diamond & Bragg Creek. You'll pick up Hwy. #1 to Banff just south of Cochrane.

Or from Black Diamond you can take Hwy. 40 and come out at Canmore (closer to Banff).

As soon as you get into Alberta hit a Tourist Information Centre and pick up a Provincial map. You'll easily be able to find the route you want. The closer you can follow the mountains the better the scenery and twistier the roads.
  7. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    I have been trying to find out about cell phone coverage for this trip. I have Alltel which is now Verision I think. What kind of coverage or what cell phone provider do you recomend for travel Canada to Alaska. The wife wants to be able to call me at night and visaversa. Thanks for any info.
  8. Carl.Custer

Carl.Custer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [Carl]: I'll be spotty. Verizon has a map of their coverage.
    I was in Red Deer a few weeks ago (4 wheels) and I was on roaming.
  9. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For cell coverage free of roaming charges in BC & Alberta, you may want to just get a prepaid phone when you get into Canada.

The 3 biggest carriers with decent network availability are Telus, Bell, and Rogers.I believe Telus and Bell are all CDMA phones (no sim cards) but Rogers is GSM. So if you have a phone that uses a sim card already, just set up a Rogers pre-paid plan when you hit Calgary. Swap the card out, and you should be good to go.

Bell prepaid info page:
    http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpWls_RtpPreLanding.page

Telus:
    http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/prepaid/index.shtml

Rogers:http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&phoneFeature=PAY_AS_YOU_GO
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    His map is showing 940 north out of Coleman. It's a fairly twisty road that looks like it would be mighty scenic from what Google Earth shows. It joins up with 40 west of Longview. Only about 64 miles from Coleman to AB-40.
  11. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    I will check on these and with the verison coverage. Again Thanks.

It has been real good to chat and learn a lot in the last few weeks. I am now also a member of MTF for IBA riders as a witness and a place for them to camp. When I get back in July I will be adding my place to Avdrider campsites, as a location to camp for folks riding through Arkansas on 40 east or west. I am just 2 miles off the freeway. Paved two lane high way, two right turns and your in my driveway. Carport for your bike, pitch your tent on thick, mowed, green, grass, backyard with small pond (10'x15'x2.5'), waterfall, fountain, nice fire pit, night light on the backyard keeps it lit up pretty good. Sound will put you to sleep. About a hundred goldfish they have been out there since 2001 and they like it...lol. Just 27 miles east of Little Rock.
  12. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Dbarnes,
    I'm a noob, just like you, but I am going to try out PennyTalk for making cheap calls home while on my trip to Alaska. Verizon (my carrier, too) charges .69 per minute for calls from Canada to the US. PennyTalk charges .49 for the connection and then .02 per minute for the call. This will not help you wife when she wants to contact you but if you can keep her happy by calling her you might save a bunch using this plan. Check it out at www.pennytalk.com. In my case it will not do my wife much good to try to call me since I will not hear the call when I'm on the bike so any talking will have to wait until I get off and check my phone....which will probably be in a dead zone anyway.

Peter Y.
  13. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    You'll find me listed on the MTF TA as AKLDRider for contact info. Guess I'd better make sure it is updated with current information.
  14. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    I have a good feeling that this is just the beginning of many fantastic road trips. As always it is the journey not the destination that makes life worthwhile.
  15. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Well I printed off a hard copy of MTF riders in each of the states and Provence's of Canada I will be traveling through. It looks good, only Yukon has no listings.

I wonder what I have forgotten that I will remember 100 miles from the house.........

lol
  16. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    How much longer?
  17. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm just hoping it's not long enough for him to think of more things that he might need, so he puts the big box back on. :rofl
  18. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Word.:poser :oscar :lol3
    (ahem, like I have room to talk....)
    [​IMG]
    :D
  19. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Bought a couple of pair of these shorts from Motorcycle Superstore's warehouse.

I road around yesterday with a pair on under jeans 80 degrees outside and my ass felt like it was sitting on a heater...lol. I thought these were supposed to be cool riding drawers. Oh well, I will just use them when its cool to stay warm....
  20. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    You folks know that I have a craving for another bike now don't you. I feel sure that it wont' be long after I get back that I will be on the hunt for a more trail Worthy ride for fun.