Alaska May 27 - end of June 09

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dbarnes180, May 6, 2009.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should try some of Mario Winkleman's LDComfort shorts. I have a few pairs of the originals, but the newer quick dry are better yet.
  2. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Okay, if it's confession time :lol3 -
    [​IMG]
    But that was a little more than just your ordinary 17,000 mile ride.
  3. Motoblag

Motoblag Replacing skill with will

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, my Verizon cell didn't work as soon as I passed into Canada from Montana. I picked up a prepaid Telus phone in Kamloops, BC and used that until I hit Alaska and my phone started working again.

It sounds like your trip is gonna be a blast. I'll restate what other folks have said countless times: you're gonna want more time up north. :clap
  4. dbarnes180

dbarnes180 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey that is all good to know about the cell. I will be planning on doing the same.

thanks again
  5. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    "I road around yesterday with a pair on under jeans 80 degrees outside and my ass felt like it was sitting on a heater.."

The problem is those cotton jeans. Believe me, if you ride in hot weather wearing jeans it is only a matter of time before you have your thighs chafed to the point where you just have to get off that darned bike. You need a synthetic layer between you and the jeans or, better yet, serious riding pants like the Darien pants from Rider Wearhouse (Aerostich) with nylon shorts under them. The cotton jeans absorb sweat and then they chafe.

You and I are going to Alaska at about the same time. Our challenge is to have gear for both hot weather and cold. It will be most interesting on the way home when we can expect 95F+ and 90% humidity. I found that it's not too bad when I can keep moving and it helps to pack ice into the pants pockets of the Roadcrafter. Looks odd but sure feels great.

Peter Y.
    Portsmouth, VA
    Leaving for Alaska 4 June
  6. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    I bought three pair of long white bike riding underwear today. Tremendous difference ..... but still in jeans. I have worn jeans forever with chaps here in Arkansas and never felt the heat like yesterday with those other drawers in only 80 degree weather.
    I agree that I do need to get some decent riding pants...one thing at a time. I hope to get a pair of motoport Kevlar mesh pants before the end of the year. I have their mesh Kevlar jacket , with Armour and love it.
    It is going to be great........
  7. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Dang! He's gonna need that box yet at the rate he's buying new things. :eek1

All right fellas, we gotta quit turning him on to more gear 'n gadgets, he's gonna overload again, and we just got him on the road to recovery. You guys would offer a beer to a reformed alcoholic, wouldn't you. :ddog

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
  8. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Camping gear, shower, stove, cooking utensils, latern, ropes, shovel, tent, ground cover, extra tarp, hatchet, tent repair tape, and chemical hand warmer packs for emergencies. In front of the Pannier is a one gallon jug for water or making sun tea.

Attached Files:

9. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Clothes for three days and winter riding gear. One gallon water jug in front of Pannier.

Attached Files:

10. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Zero degree sleeping bag, laptop, inverter 5 vdc USB and 115v AC, Volt meter, fleece blanket, extra tie down straps, back pack to carry meals back to camp. Installed interior light, with switch. Powered the trunk to charge lap top during the day ride. Everything is fused.

Attached Files:

11. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Ready to go.....
    GPS will be mounted on the handle bars. Rain gear, sunglasses, all personals in tank bag.

Attached Files:

12. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    This side is ready to go toooooooo.....

Attached Files:

13. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Oh. Yeah. In case you get bored, you can play hide and seek with the fawna and your back pack.
    Probably nothing, just something to think about. There is a reason da bears hag at the garbage dump. Be careful
    Looking good on the packing. I'm still struggling with what clothes (specifically socks ... go figure) to take and more importantly, how much am I going to sweat.
  14. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    You might want to check on this

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews95948.html
  15. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Dbarnes....
    The reviews of PennyTalk all look pretty dismal. Oh well, I'm signed up and only plan to use it for 30 days so if it works and saves me a few dollars that's good, if not I will have to find plan B.
    On a more important note, now that you have your bike all loaded it's a perfect time to set your suspension for the total load. You need to first measure the unloaded suspension length, then measure the amount that the suspension compresses with all your gear and your body on the bike. Optimal sag is 1 1/4" (30mm). You will probably have to crank up the preload to meet that sag measurement. I did this last week and found that my rear suspension had a bit too much sag with the preload cranked all the way. My solution is to get a new rear shock and spring calibrated for the total weight I will be carrying on this trip. If nothing else you will probably have to reset your headlight to compensate for the load. You have 4 days left and time to get this stuff taken care of in the comfort of home. Then the real adventure begins.
    Hope to meet you on the road to Alaska.

Peter Y.
  16. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Peter, my total gear weighs less than any adult passenger I carry on my bike. When riding alone I ride one full mark less than with a passenger. So fully loaded ( gear around 80 pounds) counting me ( 145 pounds) total weight 225 lbs. I increased the pre-load 3/4 of a mark. Tire pressures 40 in the front, 42 in rear, and the bike seems to handle nice on two lanes twisties and freeway. The lights seem to be about right. When parking in my carport the lights striking the wall hasn't changed much that I can tell. I am not getting any hi beam flashes from on coming traffic indicating dim lights are out of adjustment into their eyes. Long story short I believe all is good. Thanks for the heads up though.
  17. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Lights? We don't need no steenkin lights. This is summertime in Alaska. :lol3

When you gonna get on that thing and start riding instead of talking about it?

:hide

:rofl :rofl :rofl
  18. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    I Know.... I KNOW...

I am so tired of GETTING ready. SO tired of talking about this trip. :deal

I AM READY TO GOOOOOOOOO!

:D
  19. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need a couple final shake-down runs.
    Gotta keep the battery charged.....
  20. JQUEEN

JQUEEN Javagold

Oddometer:
    Hope you have a great trip. I'm planning my first Alaska trip for next summer. Look forward to hearing how it all turns out.