Alaska May 27 - end of June 09

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dbarnes180, May 6, 2009.

1. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Bravo, Mr. Barnes. :bow
    Well done!
  2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Betcha couldn'ta done it with that big box on the bike. :lol3

The rest of the trip will be a walk in the park after that. :nod
  3. dbarnes180

dbarnes180 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey I really do thank you two and many others for the postings, insight , laughter and tact. Before May 27th my biggest day on a bike was right at 500 miles in state riding in a basic circle....lol.

It has been fantastic and I am only half way done. I plan on a more southernly route home. Anchorage is on the list.

I have told countless numbers of motorcyclists about this web site on the way down here. But still no check in the mail box? What gives.....

God Bless

Attached Files:

4. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Fox on the way to Prudhoe

Attached Files:

5. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your update, and congrats on your trip and I , along with all the others are sure glad that box is not with you.LOL

If you have time and energy, take the CASIAR down through BC from Watson Lake. One great scenic road , I do suggest you check road conditions for there is a short section of gravel but super great road.

I have relatives in BC , PG, Tete Jaune Cache , Mt . Robson, so if you need contacts for what ever , let me know , you still have that phone number I emailed you RIGHT?? let me know.

Have fun,gale
  6. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Lots of gravel on this trip...which was expected. From Destruction Bay to the other side of Beaver. Lots of sections throughout B.C. and Yucon. Not so much in Alberta. Comes with the time of year...

Looking forward to seeing different sites on the way back to good ole Arkansas. Where the gravel roads never change and a four way is a lug wrench.

:deal

Attached Files:

7. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek it's gravel? Are they sealing it? Smoothing out frost heaves? Repaving? Just dicking with the tourists? :D
  8. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    All the above I guess...also talked with a rider that came south through the Beaver area and got a ticket for doing 80 mph. (not the gravel portion)Speed limit I believe is 65 mph or 90 kph. I never saw a cop from Montana to Fairbanks....they hide gooooood.
  9. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Short but sweet it was the icing on the cake.

Attached Files:

10. dbarnes180

Oddometer:

Feet in the Artic Ocean:D

Attached Files:

11. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Then you'll be coming through my town - Glennallen. Send me a PM or post it here when you're about to leave Los Anchorage, maybe we can meet up and swap lies. Or if you can't reach me, just stop at the Chevron station when you get here. The day crew can tell you where I live.

Check in the mail?? :confused We're gonna send you a bill for having to answer all the stupid questions we've been getting lately! They say some rider headed north is telling them they have to throw out most of the stuff they were carrying to cut their weight. :(:

:rofl :rofl :rofl
  12. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    I think we felt it was our duty to talk you back from the edge. :D It's a tough enough ride without strapping a snap-on tool chest to your bike. :rofl :rofl :rofl
    Truly very happy you are having such a good trip. Makes me look forward to my own. Can't wait for the full ride report and pics, pics, pics.:thumb

I drove through there two years ago in a Toyota Sienna and between the White River (IIRC) and Beaver Creek, 85 was not uncommon. Using both lanes to avoid the worst pot holes was SOP and all four wheel did leave the ground a few times. Predictably my kids said: "Lets go back and do it again!" each time. I never saw an RCMP either (at least not on that trip. :D)
  13. dbarnes180

Oddometer:

I just share the good stuff...lol. Really my sis and her family appreciates the cook stove, propane, hatchet, saw, pots and pans, skillet, lantern, drop cloths, ropes, tow rope, extra hat, and some other odds and ends I left with them. They can go camping with the family and are well supplied......lol.

I am carrying back some rocks...lol. For my grandson!

Attached Files:

14. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Well I left Prudhoe Bay at 9 am Monday morning...drove into Fairbanks at 11 pm. Saved a days rental lol. By the time I was done loading all my gear back on the bike I was wide awake, it was midnight, so I headed out towards ..... I wasn't sure where I was going. Finally after driving around for awhile I decided I had accomplished my goal and was ready to head back home.
    So towards Tok I went. (I took a one hour nap on a picnik table at Tok....lol) I pulled into Destruction Bay, about 2pm Tuesday and got a room. Took a shower and chatted with the wife. When I went out to do laundry .... a flat on the back tire. A rock on that 27 mile stretch of gravel got me...lol. Plugged it and got it all set to go. It is 7:30 am here I think. Heading out in a little while.
    This has been a rewarding trip of a life time for me. In a year or so I am going to come back and do Anchorage and the southern part of Alaska. Maybe with my wife. I might have to fly her in lol.
    If this trip is somewhere in the back of your mind....STOP.... Get your maps out get your bike ready and just talk to some of the folks on here and DO IT. Figure on a hundred bucks a day for gas, food, and extra if you do a room. Heck camping in a park can cost you 37 dollars...(Baniff camp at
    Two Jacks on the lake) ...lol.You will not regret going only not going. :deal

I have lots more pictures...flat fixing ...lol. Beautiful view out of the motel window at Destruction Bay. I will post later or a link to where I do post them.

It has been GREAT!
  15. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    You mean all that work we did to get your pack lightened up, and you skipped the best parts of Alaska?? :confused

:D :D

Glad you accomplished your goal, and apparently had some pretty decent weather while you were here. Yep, you'd better plan on another trip up this way, you only got started on visiting Alaska. The best is still to come. :nod

Have a safe trip home... and get all those photos uploaded so we can see a real trip report. :D
  16. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Yep I snuck out in the sun of midnight...lol. I am in Fort Nelson and will be relaxing before heading out again.