Alaska on a BMW K1600 GTL

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by judgebill, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    OHHHH YOU HAVE THE S1000RR????? THAT'S MY FAVORITE BIKE IN THE WORLD ! (even though i've never ridden it before.) WOW YOU ARE SOOOOOOOO LUCKY!!!! i collect ONLY the magazines that feature the s1000rr. right now i have 3 mags altogether.
  2. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    20120912 1513 cdt
    for me personally, nothing is "too close" to the truth. my personality is to talk about everything, "get close" to everything - whether it's my riding partners, yukon grizzly mamas next to their babies, or publishing my cell phone number and facebook.

but if i have requests or the need from people or external factors to limit the content here, then i will prioritize those above what i write. often i honor those requests knowing that it'll bring doubt or suspicion to myself, but the readers probably agree that my personality is generally not to prioritize myself.

i think a lot of the readers of this thread already know that "somethings" are behind the posts. ironically, whatever has not yet been written or has been redacted are indications of even more dramatic stories.

a lot of themes or issues that don't make sense tend to arise from situations where i'm protecting other people.

fortunately, this thread has been ongoing long enough to reveal the first pattern of doubt. many many posts (and some were later deleted) reflected the complete disbelief that a retired superior court judge would go with a new rider to Alaska. then even more disbelief that the new rider would ride by himself through the yukon - nearly getting eaten by a number of different bears and nearly getting killed by a smart moose. (bill and i were exchanging emails and we realized today that so much of the alaska trip was not even mentioned. so many photos we took were not even shared yet amongst the three of us. and come to mention it, much of the yukon ride was also not talked about because much of that was spent riding alone, sleeping on the side of the road where there was no internet).

my point is that disregarding momentarily what has not been yet written, or whatever has been redacted... give the people time to reveal their stories. however much this thread has been interesting, the best is yet to come. both the process of discovery (in a legal sense) and human nature in telling "the truth" requires time.

so to answer your question, there were multiple factors behind the redaction ("redaction" already encompasses plural right?). i can give you the general reason behind it, but time will give you the specific "truth". and in my opinion, worth waiting around for.

i've noticed that for you, "bkrull," you've made only two posts under your identity. we're lucky to have both posts here. hopefully, you'll stick around long enough to enjoy the posts that were not deleted... and being that there's thousands of them, i think you'll be kept busy enough looking at what's still here (and maybe what's yet to come). if those redactions are very much on your mind, my personal prediction is that in time, those posts and more will be available relatively soon.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trolling / negative comments will not be tolerated. Read the posted rules. Crap has been expunged again and the ban hammer has been dropped.
  4. judgebill

judgebill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This report has turned into a continuing saga with wanderings, musings, philosophical comments, some rants, consumer issues and what-have-you. Clif and I have ridden together through the pages of this Ride Report and thoroughly enjoyed the experience...and been able to share that enjoyment with you. Cindy joined us on the road back home and her presence brought joy and happiness to my heart and a delightful companion as well. All three of us "clicked", got along well, rode well and enjoyed each other they way riding companions should. All too soon the trip was over, some 9000 miles and 30 days after we began. But life doesn't end when you put down the kickstand. And sometimes the silence can be deafening,. I returned to Uruguay and realized that my time in this country is coming to an end. Back to Los Angeles for me to enjoy my riding partner Cindy and continue riding on more adventures. There are many more rides ahead of all of us. Quite probably Alaska again next year, some shorter rides and some different scenery. Riding has become a passion and a necessity. Those who read these pages know what it is like. We all recognize the symptoms and enjoy the experience. My 1600 now awaits me in the garage and in another country. My return is imminent and since riding is in my blood, you will hear about it. Hang in there. :clap:clap:clap
  5. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    we hear the "ban hammer" from Toronto all the way here in LA. And thank you.
  6. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    Thank you Bill. Sometimes when you post, it's the feeling like "big brother" is back in the neighborhood.
  7. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    cool
    mods

:lurk
  8. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    like... my gtl's akropovic muffler MODifications?
  9. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    20120912 2136 cbc

i heard a motorcycle in my neighborhood so i ran out to look for it. There are a few around here, but no one ever rides them and they're either covered or just collect dust.

the neighbor saw me approach him and he nervously turned off his motorcycle. in this neighborhood, it's scary when someone walks straight up to you (especially at night).

his name is Jake and he has a beautiful red and black Duke KTM. (He told me the story while helicopters flew above us - always looking for someone in whittier!) The original owner was riding in the canyon and he didn't want to hit a cow, because in that area, if you hit a cow, you must pay for it!

so he swerved towards an oncoming tow truck. then he must have decided that hitting the tow truck is a bad idea. so he swerved again and went off the cliff!

can you believe it? the guy actually lived!

but the poor Duke was broken in half!

the tow truck man stopped and cut the wires, because that was all that was keeping the motorcycle in one piece. and i guess the truck guy took the damaged rider and motorcycle home.

anyway, jake's uncle bought the $30,000.00 motorcycle for just $900 ! He gave it a lot of TLC and made it whole again, then sold it for the same price to his nephew.

When Jake comes back during the day, I'll take photos of it! Jake actually comes to advrider.com and said his Duke is a rare bike!

Jake doesn't really live in the neighborhood - he's dating a cutie that lives here.

IT WOULD BE SOOOOOO COOL to have another motorcycle person around!
  10. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    201209191632 cdt

I haven't been riding much lately.

I stay at home making youtube vids about the attention given to the "hidden fundraiser speech" Romney made.

If I do leave the house, my roommate Chuck takes me. We went to see .... lol. i even forgot what we saw! but I spent about $30 on food. if you buy the largest size at some AMC theaters, you get free refills! I refilled my popcorn after the movie finished and gave it to a hispanic family with two little boys. they were so happy. i was happy too because i hate cold popcorn in front of the tv at home. (it wasn't that they needed it - if anything, they were spending more than we did. but kids - you know - they love getting all the goodies they can.)

I have a commercial airplane pilot coming to visit me from Korea. I will try to spend time with him and after he leaves, I'll step up my priority of job searching. but actually, the last few days a lot of money has come in from youtube. but... i've had a lot of experience there and i don't believe i'll be able to sustain enough to pay all my expenses. I really don't want to have any credit card debt after my 0% promo is over. so to stay on track, i will need a "normal" job within about a month.

ABC wants me to get back to them. they're responding because I wanted to get out of the contract. That was because TNT wanted me for something, but the execs wouldn't consider me while I still had that contract going. So i'll get back to them. abc doesn't really like my youtube activity, so after they watch my recent vids, they still might drop me anyway. i don't know.

I admire Romney because he's a great father, he's made a lot of money, he seems faithful to his wife, he looks physically really healthy. But... i have some reservations about him too.

I have difficulty with lighting for the videos. I found that the perfect solution was to use the removed front plate FROM THE K1600 GTL as a lamp base. so... i haven't ridden recently, but the GTL part is a $2,000 lamp lighting base. and... considering it's been with me 9,000 miles, i do love it.

:rofl
  11. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    201209251011 cdt

my milk went bad early. i took both gallons back to the store and they were willing to replace both, but i just took one because that's all i think i can drink.

i hadn't rode for days! i was coming out of the parking lot and made such a terrible mistake. i saw the black car coming, but i didn't slow down going out to the road. why???

anyway, we were both going slow. she swerved around me, but until i saw her change lanes, i was waiting to get hit.

i never ever thought i'd be one of those riders i heard about that didn't ride a long time and made mistakes. but that's exactly what happened today.

i finally got my plates and after the grocery store, i borrowed a screwdriver from the car place and installed it!

an employee named joe asked me over and over again why i was putting my car's license on the motorcycle. "what?" i was thinking, "a car license wouldn't even fit on a motorcycle!"

he had a thick accent and i just finally went to shake his hand and told him it was good to see him again (even though i'd never met him before). i told him again and again that the license WAS for the motorcycle, but... well... one day when i speak Spanish fluently, I'll explain it. I bet Bill could have!

it took discipline to return to the house. i had a credit card in my pocket and i could have ridden to alaska. i could have gone south towards bill (even though he would already have left if i made it to uruguay). i promised bill that i'd save up enough for an alaska trip next year, but i'm not sure i'll be able to be debt free by then. i want to have ZERO credit card debt and be paid many months ahead on BG by the time i leave on another tour.

otherwise, i loved riding (even if it was only a couple miles to the grocery) and the 1600's power is so impressive.

alaska still influences me to this day. one friend i met on the extended tour portion contacted me and we chatted online a long time. she has a very fresh view of the world and talking to her takes me out of this... kind of "adult same thing every day forever" mindset.
  12. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    20121002 1010 cdt

on my way to another city. long story. 5 kids and a husband just lost their mom. he wants to make some short videos talking about his wife.

on my way back last night, uncomfortable with all that time in the dark on the freeway. but sometimes it felt nice too - some parts just a lot of freeway and not too many cars. but construction marks makes it all to easy to run into the concrete barrier. solution? i just try to stay in sight of the cars and follow their lights.
  13. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    20121027 0539 cdt

i've already been up a few hours. my hours are funny because of youtube work.

it's been so long, i forgot my password here.

later today, one of the girls i met on the alaska tour will come stay with me a couple days.

i had a close call on the freeway... i think it was adams / madison maybe 5 southbound. the top of a semi truck cover blew off and floated, twisting across 4 lanes into the carpool. i skid... i could hear both my tires skid. the huge piece that covered my entire lane barely, barely landed before i rode over it. if it had been in midair, i imagine my head or body could be cut in half.

i've been really focused on youtube. (you know i wrote about this fantasy months ago - and while i was on the tour.) it was the only "job" i could find that would let me ride anywhere, anytime. at first, i was planning to go into a 2nd loan to make sure i could pay my expenses. youtube was only bringing in 75 cents or 4 dollars a day. i came to a point where i either needed to make youtube work, or i'd have to get a "normal job" and get tied down again.

i decided to try.

i pretty much worked indoors a full 15 days on youtube - never even stepped out the door. finally, enough started coming in to cover all my expenses. and the amount seems even stronger this month. yesterday, i left the house for the first time for a walk around the block - that's how hard it's been. my roommate thought that my exhaustion from youtube was so intense that he was concerned i might collapse and die.

a few seconds featured on ABC. and videos featured on MSNBC and another national news station called me yesterday for permission. Germans have also contacted me saying my videos have been playing on their national tv stations there.

youtube is a largely teen audience, so my vids look immature and silly... even stupid. but i also get a lot of teens and people in crisis asking for friendship, and i give them (i think) attention, compassion, and ideas they need to make it through.

the very first time i even considered making a living from youtube was on the alaska tour. motorcycle touring has a way of removing all the doubts and criticisms we insist on putting on ourselves. and ideas can be born that if you follow up on it (like i did with youtube) - it's possible to make them a reality. sure - i didn't think then that it'd consume me to the point that i'd have to be stuck in the house two weeks in a row. but once i build some strength and popularity, i really might be able to start roaming the planet again - stopping here and there at internet spots to upload videos so i have gas money.

yesterday, youtube sent a payment to me (for the first time in my life) high enough to pay my GTL payment (and then a bit more). the possibility or dream of youtube to support me was born on the alaska tour. and today, i think one of the girls i met on the tour will arrive at our home. so... the alaska tour continues to have strong reverberations in my life.

thanks bill. thanks cindy.
    thanks to all of you that supported me and especially those keeping the doubters and haters at bay.

love clif
  14. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you were skidding, then your ABS is broken and needs to be fixed. With ABS, you should never skid.
  15. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    Thank you spx! I thought it was because of the tires. suddenly, the brakes were skidding a lot - not just then.

This is good to know
  16. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Brakes don't skid, tires skid.
    Do you have a brake fail light illuminated on your dash once you start moving? If not, then it is likely not failed abs. Perhaps you thought you were skidding but you weren't.
  17. judgebill

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome to the continuing saga. Clif and I just had lunch and talked about what we wanted to do, if anything, with our journal. I am now assembling relevant postings from the two of us as well as choice comments, observations, words of wisdom and other notations from our many fans/contributors/critics and so-forth. We will add photographs and assemble the whole thing in some form that you can all enjoy. Stay tuned for our efforts.
    In the meantime, I am now living in Los Angeles with Cindy. We ride together and this winter anticipate skiing together. Life is good and riding is wonderful. We will keep you posted on our continuing adventures.
    Bill & Cindy.
  18. ClarkA

ClarkA Power sleeper and eater

Oddometer:
    No you are not!:huh
  19. judgebill

Oddometer:
    For those of you who have been wondering what's happening, the quick answer is "a lot". My last posting, late last year, reported my efforts to put together a journal of our adventures. Well, it has been a challenge. But in re-reading all the postings I have been excited and pleased to see how well the whole thing seems to fit together. Clif is a prolific poster, much more so than I had realized. Of the thousands of visits we've had, he has to account for a significant percentage. We have many old friends who stuck with us through the entire trip.
    At this time, in March of 2013, I am almost finished with my selecting and editing of the text, my selecting of pictures and my adding of editorial comment. The next step will be to publish. This will be done through Amazon with an electronic book. Complete with pictures. Costs a bit more to add the photos but well worth the expense. I seriously doubt that any publishing house would want to take a gamble on this manuscript but for me and Clif and Cindy it has been a labor of love. And if for no other readers than ourselves, we are doing it. I'll post when it is available and in the meantime, Happy New Year to all of you. Bill :clap:clap:clap
  20. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer: