Alaska on a BMW K1600 GTL

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by judgebill, Jun 22, 2012.

1. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    Thank you SPX for the link!!

I found the book really amazing. Bill is a prolific writer.

During the tour, I spent so much energy trying to prove it actually happened - that it was real. Ironically, when I read it now, it's even hard for me to believe.

But it was real: Going over thousands of miles with a great mentor, The bear I wanted to pet on the snout, The amazing beauty, Having enough time to have a new life perspective and faith set in.

It would be really cool to see the adventure and book turned into a movie or documentary. So much of the awe is visual... and in movement - the way bikes are.
  3. judgebill

judgebill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dear Readers,
    It has been over a year now since Clif and I finished our ride from Los Angeles and back on our BMW K1600GTLs. The ride took 30 days and we traveled about 9000 miles. I then put together a book based on these Ride Reports and my own comments and observations. Tate Publishing Co has published the book and it is available as an ebook: http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781628542356
    My only regret is the inability to include all the pictures we took.
    For those of you who like to anticipate excitement, Clif and I plan on riding around the USA (Four Corners) in August and September. We will start a new thread and make daily postings. This time, of course, Clif has much more experience (as do I). We will post lots of pictures and share our adventure with all of you. Hopefully, another book in the making. Meantime, blessings to all.:norton:clap:clap:clap
    pelau likes this.
  4. UtahJim

UtahJim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got the book and about 100 pages in. Good recap of the adventure. Next time start with photos. Lots of photos. :clap
  5. KLM 3

KLM 3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I followed your last adventure day-by-day. It was a hoot!

Hope the next one is just as much fun for you both. Congrats on the book.
  6. judgebill

Oddometer:
    To those who enjoy reading about long, long trips, this is to announce that judgebill and one or two companions will ride around the USA on our bikes, probably this coming April.
    The book "Alaska and Back on a BMW 1600" has been a great success. It is available online (see previous postings) and contains a somewhat edited compilation of all the postings, plus commentary, from our Alaska trip. Clif and I continue to exchange information and both of us would like to make the Alaska ride again. Last year (2013) I tore my ACL skiing at Mammoth, had it repaired and now walk comfortably with a cadaver's replacement. Just completed a ski trip to Aspen with Cindy. Last August Cindy and I rode our motorcycles (she rides, as you may recall, a Harley) to Aspen, Santa Fe, the Grand Canyon and back to Los Angeles. Now I am planning a trip around the USA in April. Will begin a new Ride Report to keep you all up-to-date on the trip. Look for "Judgebill around the USA on a BMW 1600".
    :clap:clap:clap
    [/U][/B][/U]
  7. judgebill

Oddometer:
    Hello there Sports Fans. Judge Bill and Erik Motorman will begin their 4 Corners ride this April. Around the United States on BMWs. We won't try to make the standard 21-day journey but will take a few more days to visit old friends, take more photos (and post them) and keep you all up to date on what's happening. Clif (Clifnotes)is taking a pass on this trip, unfortunately but hopefully he can join us once again. Riding is great fun and remains a passion. Erik and I will talk about our equipment, our experiences and the scenery we are enjoying. Look for us under <Around the USA on BMWs> at your favorite RR Forum on <advrider>:clap:clap:clap
  8. judgebill

Oddometer:
    The actual start date for our trip around the USA will be April 3, 2014. That's tomorrow, as I sit here in my dining room writing this important message. To all of you who have followed my adventures to Alaska with "crazy ClifNotes", I will continue my personal journey, this time around this great country of ours. My riding partner is Erik and he will introduce himself on our blog site "Around the USA on BMWs", to be found in these wonderful Ride Reports. We will have adventures and experiences, take pictures, talk with people, make new friends and tell all. Well, sort of. See you there.
    Judgebill:clap
  9. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's Clif up to these days? Any likelihood of him joining you on your USA trip?
  10. judgebill

Oddometer:
    Hello there Sports Fans,
    ErikMotoMan and Judgebill are on the road. Left Los Angeles on April 3, 2014 on our way around the USA. Got started a bit late and then ran into some really bad weather. Looks like we will miss the extreme southeast (tornados, thunderstorms, hail and just plain rain, lots of it). Cutting that corner will bring us to the motorcycle museum in Leeds, Alabama (weather permitting) and then on to Washington, DC. From the capitol we hope to make the Maine/Canada border, across the upper USA to Blaine, Washington and then back to Los Angeles. Join us for this exciting adventure. See you there.
    Bill :clap:clap:clap
  11. judgebill

Oddometer:
    Our thread (identified above) is up and running. ErikMotoMan andI have captured the interest of many fans with our tales of traveling around the country. So far we've been through Arizona,New Mexico,Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and into Virginia. Visited the motorcycle museum in Alabama (many pictures there) and the Air and Space museum in Virginia. Read and enjoy.
    Bill:clap:clap:clap
  12. Superzoom

Superzoom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure many others are curious too. He was definitely the "star" of the original adventures.
  13. judgebill

Oddometer:
    Clif is working, and riding, in Palo Alto, California. He would have liked to make the trip with ErikMotoMan and judgebill around the USA but time and money constraints prevented his joining us. He is missed, by us and by our readers. "Maybe next trip" he has promised.
    I should mention that Guillermo, who posted on this thread and on the Around the USA thread will be visiting California in :clapMay. Guillermo and I will take our wives and ride around California...and post about it. Look for "Uruguay visits California, on a BMW (and Harley)". Should be a lot of fun. I'll let Guillermo tell you all about it.
    :clap
  14. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    What an amazing RR. Spent a few days reading every thing.

Cliff you are one amazing man. I enjoyed your honest and candid writing.

What happened with BG? Is the cooling problem resolved or??
  15. judgebill

Oddometer:
    We wrote a book about this trip "Alaska and Back on a BMW 1600", which you can get where ebooks are sold.
    The cooling problem was ultimately resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Clif continues to ride and dream. :clap
  16. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How was the "cooling problem" solved?

Just curious. As I recall, the bike only overheated in the presence of ClifNotes alone; the syndrome could not be replicated by the dealership technicians. ClifNotes consequently defamed the dealership, threatened lawsuits against them and BMW Motorrad, etc.

ClifNotes' more incendiary threats were excised from this thread by ClifNotes himself; I doubt they appear in the "published" book.

Just wondering; what was the nature of the cooling problem, how was the deficiency resolved, and by whom?
  17. Superzoom

Superzoom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am quite surprised that Clif didn't come your current trip. I recall that he wrote often about his money woes, but at the same time, he never let a lack of money stop him from doing what he loved (buying a BMW, riding to Alaska, becoming a delivery person).

I was one of those people who wrote a somewhat judgmental post about Clif and his dangerous behaviours, probably right after trying to "pet" the bear. But since then, I've come to the conclusion that Clif is probably the sort of person who is quite lovely in person. I don't think a person's personality can be very easily judged through the internet. If anything, the internet magnifies a person's darker alter ego.
  18. GaryAK

GaryAK Easy Going

Oddometer:
    Super - you are right on the mark. My wife and I met and spent a few hours one evening with Clif and Judge Bill when they were in Anchorage last summer.

Clif is very pleasant and humble and we enjoyed our time with him. We could instantly read the awe in his face of his knowing he was on a game-changing adventure of his life, he was truly enjoying every second. Before we said goodbye, Clif insisted we take their no longer needed 5 gallon gas containers and asked that we pay them forward to other motorcycle travelers we meet - which we did.

Judge Bill was also great - lots of wisdom, quick to smile and enjoy the moment.

Just reading their ride report, I had a bit of trouble figuring out the unlikely pairing of Judge Bill and Clif, but after spending some quality time with them, their team-up proved solid with the cosmic universe. Both fine gents and glad to have met them. :norton

Gary
  19. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your comments!

I'm currently working full time, but I'm looking for a job ANYWHERE that pays $80,000.00 / yr or more.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a 2nd and 3rd job. I've actually been accepted for additional jobs already, but the challenge is fitting 2 - 3 jobs into a workable schedule.

Once I pay more of my debts away, I'll join Bill on his awesome adventures.

If anyone has any info at all about the BMW HP4, please let me know. I have a short time to learn as much as I can about that bike, production, costs, quirks, accessories, etc. Will there be a 2015 HP4 model? Will there be a faster street bike produced in 2014 or 2015? (I know the DDC puts it ahead of most street bikes. I also know there are drag racing bikes like Ninja's zx14 that are technically faster, but lack the HP4 class' agility).

Someone asked about my K16's overheating. I had problems again with the water pump - so I'm guessing that's part of the reason why it keeps overheating. A BMW dealership fixed it because it's a Warranty issue. I've lost count of how many times the water pump has been replaced.

The overheating is still a concern to me. That's a big reason why I spent a lot of money and purchased EXTENDED WARRANTY on it.

BG. A lot of people (including myself) have called her a "LEMON."

I think at some point, I just decided that real lemons make the best lemonade. I know she's far from perfect. I know she gives me a lot more trouble than other people's K16s. But I've really grown attached. So instead of selling or trading it away, I just went ahead - got the extended warranty - and I now more or less expect to keep BG forever, despite how troublesome she can be.

Bill had suggested (during the phase where myself and a lot of others were wondering if I'd even be alive day to day) that I'd probably end up with multiple bikes.

I remember reading Bill's post when he wrote that, and I thought, "Yeah, right."

He has such powerful intuition. It's possible that within 3 - 12 months, that will manifest. Check back in with me in 4 months or so, and I'll let you know who the new family member is! :norton:rofl:puke1
  20. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    GARY! I love you guys and thanks for all that education about "frequency." My friend bought me a ticket to see Abraham Hicks in person and vibration is all she talks about! :norton