1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Alaska on a BMW K1600 GTL

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by judgebill, Jun 22, 2012.

1. judgebill

judgebill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gary and his lovely wife were, and are, marvelous people. Visiting with them was one of the highlights of our trip. His words are kind and gentle and make both Clif and me feel good.
    As those of us who ride the country know, meeting people is one of the blessings we seek. Everybody doesn't ride but many who don't feel a kinship with those who do. Perhaps it's that unanswered inner calling that helps develop the connection. But connections with people who do ride, such as Gary and his wife, those connections stay in the heart and are meaningful.
    I'm riding around the USA now and having similar experiences. Just spent a day with another BMW rider (Dan) who helped us find stuff we needed, gave an assist (through his wife) with a medical issue and joined us on our way back with directions and advice. Unforgettable.
    Ride, enjoy and treasure the memories. It is those memories that nobody can take away from you that are one of the foundations of a good life. :clap:clap:clap
  2. judgebill

Oddometer:
    ErikMotoMan and I (judgebill) have now completed our trip around the USA. Well, we completed the trip but didn't quite make it all the way around the country. We had weather problems and then a personal problem. But we emerged healthy and happy for having traveled 7500 miles on one set of tires and our original motor oil. Read all about it on these Ride Reports under the heading "Around the USA on BMWs". We had a great time and definitely want to bring Clifnotes along the next trip.
    In many ways there were a lot of similarities in both these journeys. For one thing, we agreed they were too short. We could have taken twice as long and not been sorry. But when you have deadlines (as we had on both trips) you make sacrifices that require priorities and schedules. So if I could make one recommendation it would be to budget no more than 300 (preferrably 250) miles per day for any extended trip. Yes, you can do many more miles than that but if you do you won't take as many pictures as you wished you had, won't see as many sights (and sites) as you might have and won't have the variety of memories that you really owe yourself for making the sacrifices for the trip. It is true that he/she travels alone travels farthest. But a traveling companion is not merely helpful, it may be necessary. Coordinate your efforts, lay out your plans and then go. Just go. You won't ever regret having made trip. :clap:clap:clap
  3. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    I'm going to win the lotto this week and soon we'll be on our next Alaska trip! :clap:clap
  4. judgebill

Oddometer:
    Another trip beginning May 26, 2016 under thread "Los Angeles to Yellowstone" with judgebill and Cindy and a couple from Uruguay. Look us up and read about new adventures and see some fun pictures.
    BeemerBOI likes this.
  5. judgebill

Oddometer:
    Just for fun I looked up this thread and realized I haven't been posting as promised. Clif and I are still in touch. His debt mountain has been climbed and he is debt-free. Still has the GTL and also a 1300. Me, I'm now riding a 2014 GTLE and loving it. As promised, rode to Yellowstone and back with friend Guillermo from Uruguay. 10 days and about 2500 miles. Since then only been riding around Los Angeles, which really isn't a lot of fun. No long trips presently scheduled but something will be sure to come up. I turn 80 in a few weeks (Sept 7) and still feel good about riding. So we'll have to see what happens. Meanwhile, keep between the white lines and ride safe.
  6. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Clif is full of crap, in general. But lets assume for the moment that he isn't...

He certainly is not debt free. He claims to have just financed a $100,000 vehicle. (Dodge Ram's are $100k???)
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-baby-g-bit-girl.991145/page-16#post-29955019

7. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:

I was pretty much out of debt for a while.

Then I got the 100k truck (yes, 100k because it's custom).

And yes, I'm in debt. However, I do make my payments on time.

I disagree with the perspective that I'm "full of crap."

For now, the truck and K16 are with me. I'm going to try and collect the HP4 within the next couple days. It's been away.
  8. cwroady

cwroady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found the book in Bass Lake in a community book box left and signed by JudgeBill. Enjoyed it a lot and had to come find the RR.
  9. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    So cool you found such a gem in a community box. I hope you can share pics so I can visualize that moment finding it.
  10. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    20180422 0146 abbr obb

Wow.
  11. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    20190428 0437 obb

May
  12. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    bmw hp4 didn't respond well when I tried to make it behave / work like the k1600gtl