1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Alaska One Time...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Twojump36, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any auto parts store has a small screwdriver looking thing that instead of a straight blade at the end the blade is curved so it catches the tab. Then just lever it out a bit and the spring will slide down the shank on to the tab.
  2. Twojump36

Twojump36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll check that out for future uses... thanks!
    I saw on your thread that you put on muffler pipe wrap on your DR... does that material leave any kind of cloth markings after you take it off?.... I'm considering it for my Africa Twin exhaust for my trip up the Dalton... I'd like to keep the stock exhaust clean and that "gold color" if I can... so going up that Haul Road with the stuff they spray on it to keep it moist and the dust down... I'm thinking that stuff will just get everywhere and when it does get on the pipes it'll stain them.... I'm wondering if that pipe wrap will work for keeping the pipe clean... then come off when I get back home with no marring or discoloration... Love that DR you built by the way... everything you need and nothing you don't! Simple and Clean!
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I don’t know if the titanium high temp wrap will discolor the pipe. I only put it on to channel as much heat away from the motor as I could. The big air cooled single will be working coming back down through the dakotas and Nebraska in the heat of late July.

I’m sure it will protect the pipe from baking on the calcium chloride on the dalton. That stuff can be just like powder coating!
    Twojump36 likes this.
  4. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But wouldn’t the layer of hardened calcium chloride act like that fancy ceramic coating that suppresses heat??? Sounds like a win-win...you could even paint it that cool gold color...
    Twojump36 likes this.
  5. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I think the next trip I make to Alaska I might take my Honda XR650L... be a longer trip though!

Attached Files:

• 274.JPG
      274.JPG
      File size:
      738 KB
      Views:
    orrj likes this.
  6. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I did 10,000miles on my 94 XR650l in 2006 with little problems. It was actually quite enjoyable. My bike this year for the trip is a 12 year old BMW F650GS.
    Hi-De-Ho and Twojump36 like this.
  7. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I see that! I wish I was going as soon as you guys....
  8. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I'm getting ready to order my Moto Z Tractionator GPS rear tire.. 150/70 - R18
    My front is a 90/90 - R21
    What do you run on the front if you have that GPS on the rear?
    crownhorse likes this.
  9. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    All hotels are booked for my entire trip...
    The tours we've decided to take are all booked
    Reservations are triple checked...
    The bike is built...
    All the extras are purchased...ie. map pouches, bike lock, bike cover, air compressor, battery jumper, USB plugs, etc...
    The Moto Z Tractionator GPS tires are ordered and come in on June 12th... in time!
    Final sevice is scheduled for June 25th...
    Nothing to do but wait now...
    rubline, GSAnderson and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  10. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    13 days till launch for this inmate. But it all starts with a weekend run in the wild and wonderful West Virgina and the Hatfield McCoy trail system 6-10.
    I plan on making Banff by the 13th of 14th and then D2D. I'll be that guy who brings a van to a long distance moto event :loco

And the mother of all road trips deserves a proper fodder sticker!

[​IMG]
  11. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I did a shake down ride this last Sunday... in full Alaska One Time trim... Everything was fine but I did come away with a couple concerns.
    1 The seat is garbage on a stock Honda Africa Twin after 80-90 miles... there is no way I can ride this thing any further than that the way it sits... I ordered the Motoskivies Adventure shorts... and I will use the Airhawk seat cushion.
    2 The gas mileage is going to be an issue I think. The computer says I'm getting 46 MPG but the bike holds 5 gallons and I'm showing I'm at the bottom of the tank and only have gone 140 miles. I don't think I can get 200 miles.

If gas is available every 100 - 150 miles or so I guess I won't have a big issue but I'm going to be a little nervous seeing that gauge going down knowing I have a long way to go for fuel.... but it might be a good thing since I can't sit on that thing more than a 100 miles anyway! lol....
  12. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my route, gas is generally available every 100 miles or so BUT I am told that sometimes they will be out of gas. Also side trips to places like telegraph creek or run up the Dalton and Dempster require much larger fuel reserves. Dalton is 244.

Joe
  13. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    l
    I'm only running up to the Arctic Circle on the Dalton on this trip... I'm also traveling on the Alcan from Dawson Creek all the way to Fairbanks and I think they have fuel throughout but I'm still a little nervous. We will be doing a couple side trips here and there that we'll plan for but.. so far this AT doesn't look like it gets the fuel mileage that everyone said it got....
  14. djroszina

Oddometer:
    So at 140 miles, how many gallons to refill? MC fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. My 1200GS low fuel light comes on and I should have 1 gallon left in a 5.3 gallon tank. The most it will take is just over 3 gallons...the case of the missing gallon.
  15. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I'll find out tonight how much gas is left in the tank when I fill up.... my light has never came on yet.
  16. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried a Seat Concepts seat?... $229 plus shipping for a complete seat... but 14 to 21 days out... I'm leaving in 37 days. May not be enough time to get much time on the thing.
  17. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Ok... I fueled the AT up tonight on my way home. I went 142.5 miles and it took 3.09 gallons. Which means I got 46.11 mpg... holds 5 gallons, so it also means I should have been able to go another 88 miles... or a total of 230.5 miles before I have to push the thing... I guess the best thing is that when it gets to the last little dot on the gauge... I can still go 80 plus miles..
    Except my butt is too sore...
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  18. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Moto Skivees just arrived... time for a shake down. Tomorrow I'll ride the same 142 miles and report back...
    rubline likes this.
  19. 68vette

68vette Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have the seat concepts on my FJR For me It was just a little bit better than stock. I am riding the stock AT seat I have put 4413 on it with 2901 on this trip. I’m lucky my butt or the seat formed to the other I just sent the air hawk home, hope I don’t regret that. As for gas under normal riding (not climbing mountain passes) I start looking for gas at 2 bars just in case. I’m comfortable with up 180 miles but start to get twitchy at that mileage. I’m carrying a 1 gallon spare can. Hope our paths cross.
    Twojump36 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  20. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    If you hurry, I recommend ordering that Seat Concepts complete seat, and using it for this trip. I have used Seat Concepts complete seats, and the Seat Concepts cover/foam, where we install it ourselves, and have been very impressed with how much better they are over a stock seat.

Other than the perfection of a Russell Day Long seat...the next best thing is a Seat Concepts complete seat.

Best part is...if for any reason you do not like it, it will be very easy to resell it here on these forums, as other riders with an AT will be happy to buy it from you.
    rubline and Twojump36 like this.