Alaska One Time...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Twojump36, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Twojump36

Twojump36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    P
    Dang... I think I'll order the Seat Concepts seat on Monday...

As far as mileage, I think I have it mapped out right with gas stops all the way up... plan's to stop every 100 to 150...

We'll probably cross paths on your return trip back from Prudoe Bay would be my guess... I'm on my Silver AT...

Be safe
  2. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Well the Seat Concepts option might be dead... 21 days out and then I got to install the thing or have it installed... I thought you could buy the whole seat... but you have to send your seat out to them and they can cover it for you or they send you the stuff to do it yourself... no time and I don't need the bike down that long....
    Going with the Air Hawk cover and Moto Shiveez... Aleve and beer...
    29 days....
    Hi-De-Ho, rubline and GSAnderson like this.
  3. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got a steal on a lightly used Airhawk DS for $25. Feels weird but we’ll see how the butt responds to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Well when all this blows over and we're back from our trips... let's compare notes...
    fjmartin likes this.
  5. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I just finished booking my bike on the ship for it's return trip back to the states. $1295 from Anchorage to Kent WA.... another $700 to $800 to ship it too my door in Salem OR... 250 miles...

I think not... so the adventure will continue with an Amtrak ticket to Tacamo WA an UBER to Kent for the ride home....

Pretty easy process really!... they have been really good to work with for the most part.
    Hi-De-Ho and GSAnderson like this.
  6. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    IMG_9637.JPG ...any thoughts on this extra gas can for the ride up to Alaska and on to the Arctic Circle?...
    I'm pretty sure I can find fuel along the Alcan Hwy but what if something were to happen and we pull in after the station closes?

Am I over thinking this?
    Hi-De-Ho and GSAnderson like this.
  7. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Twojump36 , keep ME apprised as to your schedule and plans, as I have an offer for you.

If you want...."I" will pick up the crated Alaska Twin (Africa Twin) in Tacoma, have them place the crate directly on my open trailer, and I will deliver that crate to your house in Portland. If you are not "home" yet....the entire package....your crate and my trailer...can wait it out on my ranch just south of Olympia, in the foothills, behind a locked electronic gate, until you give me word that you are home and ready to take delivery of the crated bike.

BTW, there is NO charge for all this. Just helping out a fellow ADV Rider from the Great Pacific Northwest.

Second BTW, weird to hear Seat Concepts does not have a complete seat for that AT. You still have time to order the seat KIT....which is the new foam, and new seat cover...and I have experience installing these Seat Concept kits onto seat pans...and have the tools to do it....for FREE...again.

Short of doing the Seat Concepts idea....I also have a nice piece of Black Sheep seat cover....designed to go ON a motorcycle seat. REAL sheepskin...in Black....and you can use that for your trip.

I am going to be BACK from my ride up to TUK, well before you take off on this adventure to Alaska....just give this some thought.
  8. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that offer HeidiHo.... that is very tempting!
    I have trucks running up and down I-5 about 3 times a week too... and I could have it picked up for me but they un-crate the bike at the terminal and won't let me take the crate off site because it belongs to the shipping / freight company. I may fabricate up a metal frame of some sort and have my truck driver load it on one of his trucks and have it swing by to get the bike, strap in on and bring it back....

Maybe a better option... if I elect to take Amtrak up there to get the thing... we meet for a quick ride someplace up there and then grab a beer and swap Alaska stories...lol

The Seat Concepts think is a little weird. When I talked to them earlier this week, they said they are swamped with orders and really behind. He said they have some complete seats and seat pans for some other brands of bike... (assuming that means GS's and maybe KLR's?)... but they had no seat pans or complete seats for the AT.... I tried to put on a seat cover on one of my motocross bikes years ago... it went ok but not great. I've worked with a local upholstery shop in Keizer a few years ago on one of my hot rods and they've done my motocross seats since... It wouldn't be a great big deal to have them install the foam and the cover.... who know..? I think I'm just going to rock this stocker and along with the Airhawk seat cover and the Motoskiveez... see what happens. Maybe my ass will conform to the seat... the ironic thing is... I've been on a diet since last November to loose weight so Im in a little better shape to do this Alaska trip this summer. Went from 240 do 215 and feel I'm down to my fighting weight now!! At least my motocross lap times are down a couple seconds a lap... the bad thing though is my butt has less "natural" padding now...LOL

I really appreciate the offers man! You sound like a guy I'd like to hang out with sometime!

Enjoy your trip!
    rubline and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  9. Hi-De-Ho

Oddometer:
    If they are uncrating the bike, so they can keep the crate....my trailer has a motorcycle wheel chock in place, so I can easily haul a motorcycle on it.
    Heck, yesterday I drove down to Forest Grove, OR....west of Portland, and picked up a Honda Goldwing 1800 with my trailer, then brought it up to my place, to store for another inmate that wanted this bike. He and I are riding North together on V-Stroms, so he will pick up his new-to-him Wing on the way back to Calif.

Just think about it.
    rubline, Twojump36 and slane6 like this.
  10. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    My tool kit is packed with what I'm guessing my essential tools woild be... mostly tire repair stuff with chain maintenance stuff... tape, zip ties, allens, wrenches... etc... no more than what I think I'll need...
    28 days
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  11. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    That's really nice of you man... I'll consider it... and I appreciate the offer!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  12. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    IMG_9648.JPG IMG_9649.JPG The Tool Kit....
    Hi-De-Ho, rubline and GSAnderson like this.
  13. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Attention BMW GS riders.... are there any bike specific tools you'd never leave behind on a trip to Alaska? My buddy Ray is riding the GS 1200 A from Motoquest. I'm not sure what tools he's going to need or what tools come with the bike.
    I guess this is the real reason why we are going the route we are... more services along the main highways.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  14. Hi-De-Ho

Oddometer:
    Most BMW GS riders carry a Honda on the back rack of the GS, so when they break down, they have a bike to ride the rest of the way.

Oh, for all you haters...I will be riding a '17 Wee-3 XT......no need to carry a Honda on my back rack. :jack

EDIT: This only applies to R12GS, R1150GS, and R1100GS models.....because F800 GS and F700 GS bikes don't break down.
    dukesters1, Twojump36 and slane6 like this.
  15. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A credit card and on road assistance....seriously...there aren’t many things a person can fix on a new bmw if it craps out besides a tire.
    Twojump36 and slane6 like this.
  16. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    We do not have the seat bases for these as an injection mold has to be made at an astronomical cost. We have done the seat bases on the other bikes like you mention because those seats sell 10-1 against the AT version. Its simple economics really.

Bundy
    Hi-De-Ho, Twojump36 and rubline like this.
  17. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I completely understand the economics of not doing an injection mold for a bike... but the possibility exists that someone "could buy" a Honda seat, then have it covered in Seat Concepts materials... then when an order came, someone could require you to send in their pan and once it came the SC modified version could be sent out... Could save some time?....
    Not a big deal one way or the other to me... when I get back from my ride next month, I'll look at replacing the stock seat I have... when I h ave more time.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  18. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Probably a dumb question, but what do you guys eat on an 8hr multi-day trip like this? Besides staying hydrated, what do you do for your calories... I'd imagine it's going to be difficult stopping at a Burger King in the middle of nowhere....
    We should have food at most of our nights stays in the hotels or at least nearby... along with gas.... but I'm thinking jerky nuts and maybe a granola bar or two just to keep something in the tank...
    What do you do?
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  19. Hi-De-Ho

Oddometer:
    Tim Hortons has everything you need to stay healthy and happy.:-)
    slane6, Twojump36 and fjmartin like this.
  20. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Does anyone carry Canadian currency with them on their Alaskan trips?

I went into my bank to do some regular banking today and to tell them the dates I need my debit card activated while I'm traveling through Canada and into Alaska. They assured me the debit will work where they take debit, which is about everywhere I think... but do any of you take cash just in case of an issue... loose card or it get's demagnetized or something weird.

The funny thing is, my bank said I could order and have Canadian money in one buisness day. But... they can't take it back if I have left over and want to turn it back to US dollars... It got me thinking... do I need to even take Canadian money.