1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Alaska One Time...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Twojump36, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best 115 you'll ever spend on a cover....super quality, 100 waterproof, and rolls up the size of a grapefruit.
  2. Twojump36

Twojump36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered the EZ Touring cover... I got the size A in the Wanderer line.... we shall see!... 75 days to go!
    Hi-De-Ho, Tewster2 and djroszina like this.
  3. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I'm installing the center stand this weekend... it is the last thing I need to get done... (before tires right before I head out) I'll start experimenting with loading options and weight distributions. I need to offset the weight caused by the amount of shoes, clothes, bras, and curling irons my wife will undoubtedly be taking... I'm thinking the tool kit, air compressor, battery charger, tire irons, and extra gas will be enough but you never know...
  4. 68vette

68vette Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just finished adding the Camel ADV foot peg brace. Have you installed this brace? Took a bit of time but after reading the number of people who broke the brake side foot peg mount thought I may as well add it too. I have finished all my add-ons to the AT. 23 days to lift off. Just need to change the tires and do a little test run.
    Hi-De-Ho and djroszina like this.
  5. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    No I haven't done the foot peg brace yet... I saw a youtube video where someone was adding one but I couldn't remember what brand... I think it's a good idea but I'm not sure I'm going to be banging this bike off big rocks... I have an XR650L for the rough stuff... and the BDR Routes.
    I will try to get my center stand on the AT this weekend... it's a good wet rainy weekend type job but I don't like laying on the cement garage floor flailing all over the place.... I need to take it over to my buddy's place where my bike lift is... it's the last of my add-ons.
    From here on out it's just small items... like packing options and what gear I'm taking... how much money I'm taking in US and Canadian... Clothing items and little odds & ins...
    70 days...
    Hi-De-Ho, 68vette and djroszina like this.
  6. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys ever try motoskiveez adventure underwear?
  7. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motoskiveez underwear are awesome. Highly recommended but pricey. Which reminds me, time to order some new ones!
  8. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I was planning on just packing some of the more...ummm "well worn" underwear and tossing them along with the day's socks into the trash can each night... but the more I'm thinking about that hard as hell seat and the AirHawk option... I may actually try a pair of these things to see if they work as good as everyone says they do... I wonder how well they wash up and how often you got to wash the things...? I got to have clean dry unders on the boys...
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  9. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    IMG_9350.JPG
    By the way I did get a little more seat time over the weekend... just not on the Africa Twin...
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  10. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I received my EZ-Touring bike cover yesterday... I'll check to make sure it fits with my side boxes and top box on the bike and I'll write up a report with pictures in case anyone with a similar bike has any questions...
    I'm kind of hesitant to open the thing up because right now it's all tucked into the bag real nice... I've never had any luck getting things like this back into it's original shape to fit it's storage bag... I can barely fold up a map right...
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  11. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it comes with an integral stuff sack, just stuff it in, no folding required. If it came out, it will go back in. Overall, don’t pack too meticulously or you’ll spend half a day, everyday, just packing up your bike. During a trip all your stuff expands 10% each and every day, lol.
    Twojump36 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  12. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Man I'm getting down to the short strokes a little bit on the "ordering for the Africa Twin" I ordered a kickstand pad or enlarger...? supposed to spread out the weight of the bike on the side stand and not let it sink into the gravel so easily...
    For the trip, I ordered a mosquito net, and a Leatherman Tool... the Rebar... I heard you can't take in most knives into Canada anymore... lots of banned knives these days.... The leatherman is not on the list or included in the banned description anyway... and it'll serve a useful purpose on the trip.. to open bottles of beer!

66 days to go... but first I'm headed to Vegas for the Supercross Race!
    djroszina, rubline and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  13. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    Back from Las Vegas and the Supercross race... what a great time!
    Now... back to finishing up the planning on the Alaska One Time trip... when I got back from LV, there were a bunch of little boxes sitting in my office...
    I got my mosquito net / mask thing...
    I got my Frogg Togg rain gear... it's for fishing in Seward after the ride but I'll have it in case I need it for something...
    I got and installed my SW Motech kickstand expander.... pretty sweet little thing but dang... $65 seems pretty steep... I guess it's not when your bike tips over but man they are sure proud of that thing... looks good on it too... I'll post a picture if anyone wants to see it...
    My entire trip is routed in Garmin Basecamp so it's ready to upload into my Montana 650T...

Pretty much just need to pack up and ride at this point! Seeing all of Tewster's posts and others posting on his thread is making me want to get out of here and get on the road... 58 more days to go for me...
    djroszina, rubline and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  14. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to installing the center stand on this Africa Twin... the first part getting the stand mounted was easy... the second part was painful, unbelievably hard, ingenuitive, then down right comical...

The two springs that connect the bracket to the frame and then to the center stand are very stiff... The spring needs to connect to a little nub welded to the center stand...
    I tried prying it back with screwdrivers and needle nose pliers... nothing doing... so I got some 550 paracord, tied a loop in one end, hooked it on the two springs and then looped the other end around the wheel hub and back to a stick.... Then I enlisted my son to hold the tension on the spring /paracord... then got the wife to hold the bikes front brake so the bike wouldn't slide back...
    I pried the spring back and my son pulled back... the paracord kept the tension so I could get another bite on the spring... once it was back far enouch for the spring to fit onto the little nob, my son let off the tension on the paracord... I pushed the spring over... and BAM!!! it worked the first time...
    kind of funny....

It was the ladt part of my build for this trip...
    52 days...

Attached Files:

Halen and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  15. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I sometimes remove my centerstand on my 650 Dakar when stripping her for real offroading. The trick to reinstalling is to put the springs on while stand is loose and then use the stand to lever itself and install the attatchment hardware.
    Halen and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Best $2 I ever spent....spring install tool

TOOL-v-FRONT.jpg
  17. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I've got and tried one of those, but the hook is always pointed the wrong way when I try to use it.
    Hi-De-Ho and Tewster2 like this.
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Use the other end...works great!
  19. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I was thinking there should be right handed and lefthanded ones, but they don't list it on the package?
    Hi-De-Ho and Tewster2 like this.
  20. Twojump36

Oddometer:
    I even thought about that... I liked the idea and i think I could have got the thing on possibly on one side but there is too much going on under there in such a tight space on the AT because the shock linkage and the existing sidestand brackets/bolts are in the way... I hope I don't have to ever take the thing off and put it back on again...

I like Tewster's idea of a spring puller but I'm not sure I could get that thing out of the area once I had the spring on the nob dilly.... a center stand might have made the process better but the bike would have to be clamped on it and more secure... I have a bike lift at a buddy's place but was too impatient to go over there to use it.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.