Alaska Question - BUGS!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by shooks, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Personally, I carry the 100. It has been called Alaskan perfume for years.
    Have a good trip.
    If you need someplace to stay while in the south central area give me a call.
    I am the only Big Lake phone number in the BMW Anonymous book.
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Sissies.

I've heard all kinds of home brew bug juice raves, comments from the peculiarly loonie like "don't eat sugar... it's what they like", etc. Most of the time I don't even worry about 'skeeters but when they're bad you don't want to rely on anything but what's undeniably proven to work 100% of the time.

As a personal note, I've tried a couple of the baby oil concoctions and I find them to be wanting. Not only have the recipes I've seen not work for me but after a day of slathering that shit on you look like some kind of mutant raspberry dirtclod w/ splattered bug carcasses stuck all over you. Disgusting really. Just say no. :1drink

Go for the highly toxic Ben's. If you bring the 30 stuff plan on putting it on in three coats. :evil
  3. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    About 1 liter of fine Scotch will do the trick:kbasa thay will still bit but you won't mind:lol3 and thay fly funny after that.
  4. Tantrum

Tantrum Condescending Nag

Oddometer:
  5. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    I remember the Skin So Soft when it wqas first alleged to have anti-skeeter powers.
    Wonderful stuff....until you started to sweat and then it ran down into your eyes and started stinging! And then when you are trying to ride your Intercpetor home from the Little Su and you can't hardly see. Bah. 100% DEET is the only stuff that has been long term proven. If there was something better everyone would be using it.
    I've been at the Yukon bridge on the Dalton. There are not words that adequately describe the insect situation. It's 10 times worse than the worst you can imagine. If the bugs were big it might be better, but they are very small and fast and aggressive and there are horrendous swarms of them.
    Should you still come up? Of course! Just leave the snake oil at home and bring 100% DEET and a headnet....and if nothing else, if a few get you that's just the tax you pay for the Arctic experience. :grim
  6. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Go with the DEET. If thats too toxic for ya, try meat tenderizer! That way when they start takin' chunks out of you it won't hurt as much!
    Seriously... DEET & long sleeve shirt that fits somewhat tight around the neck and sleeves, a hat and a cheep head net.
    Have a great ride!
  7. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Interesting phenom I noted while caught in the construction zone waiting for the pilot car....
    The bugs came for me immediately.
    I stepped away from the bike.

The bugs didn't follow me!
    I know they are attracted to heat and carbon dioxide and a bike gives off lots of both, maybe a decoy is what you need! :bueller
  8. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Yep that is why I ride with Friar. But now the secret is out I'll have to bring Mrs' Gus along all the time.:doh
  9. AirForce

AirForce Abbey Normal

Oddometer:
    Oh, I heartily second this comment! I found out the hard way while stopped at road construction not to spray 40% Deet on your helmet. I pulled out a towel at construction stops to put around my neck and to keep the little vampires out of my helmet. A skeeter in your full-face SUCKS!!! Personally, I used 40% Deet on any exposed skin (except while taking a leak, that gets REALLY interesting north of Atigun Pass or in the woods) because the skeeters will bite on any non-protected skin. If you miss a spot, they will find it. I found myself making camp along the Sagavanirktok River on the North Slope while staying in full riding gear. Funny, I didn't have hardly any on my face shield but stop moving and they will find you. Seriously, they are out in force but don't even think about letting that stop you from seeing Alaska...they are a minor imposition compared to the beauty of the Great Land.
  10. DeadRat

DeadRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How far North on the Dalton do you have to go in order to get away from the Skeeters? The high in Deadhorse is going to be 36 today, so unless the skeeters have cold weather gear, there must be a stopping point for them somewhere.
  11. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't have to put your bike on train to get to Whittier anymore. They opened the train tunnel to cars and motorcycles a couple years ago. Check the internet for the tunnel schedule. Its one lane, so traffic switches direction every half hour and tunnel shuts down completely twice a day to let the train pass through. Also the weather is always shitier in Whittier.
  12. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I had one in my refreg 2 days later I opened the door and he flew out.

13. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Mosquitos have built in anti-freeze, that's how a breeding supply of them survive the harsh winters. They will be active at 36F. Not as active as at 60F, but still driving you nuts.
    When it gets really hot they tend to not be as active. Also, the level of infestation drops way off later in the summer from really bad to just damn bad. And wind is your friend, they don;t like to fly in the wind too much.
  14. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Few years back, i spent the night sleeping in full gear on the picnic table at Skinny Dicks. The skeeters were so bad i figured pitching a tent would have been useless. All bundled up, i slept real good for a couple hours. Iv'e never seen so many skeeters. Amazing.:lol3
  15. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Africa and Asia the bugs were not as numerous as what you all describe here. They were lethal, that was the other angle. Never been aware of the problem as acutely as back in 1991, when a bus driver who was the slowest moving person on the planet, always happy and relaxed, turned into The Hulk and started tossing gear off the bus to chase a mosquito he saw flying through the bus. It was a Tse-Tse fly. They put you to sleep, for ever. The other dangerous ones are the bugs that carry Malaria, but it’s only the females and they usually only fly at dawn and dusk. In Laos, I was in an area with a high incidence of Japanese Encephalitis. Nasty too. Not to mention some of the very weird looking bugs with teeth. Swear to god, if they got a hold of you, there’d be a physical piece of meat missing from your arm. Small, but not a pin prick either.

However, the volumes you guys describe here seem more than what I’m used to. I hate bugs. I’ll probably never go to Alaska. Setting up a tent in riding gear is about as far from fun as one cold get.
  16. KL5A

Oddometer:
    We have those too, we call them "White Socks" becuase they have white feet. They land, take a chunk of meat, crap out a like amount and fly off-hurts like hell and leaves an itchy nasty sore that takes a good couple weeks to heal over.
    The bugs are a problem but we don't let them spoil our fun. I still wonder what the aboriginal "First Nations" did becuase they didn't have DEET 10,000 years ago. Summer must have been really bad, could be that you just get used to it.
  17. KL5A

Oddometer:
    And our bugs don't carry any disease other than temporary insanity-they can drive you nuts.
  18. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've lived in Vancouver, BC for nearly 12 years now. I've seen all of 5 domestic bugs in that time ... :evil I prefer it that way.
  19. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    I've always been highly sensitive to mosquitos and for some reason they'll swarm on to me and leave others alone

When it gets too bad I break out my Bug Out suit

I also use this occasionaly on my clothing Permethrin
  20. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    The bugs around most domestic areas even in Alaska are not usually very bad, although we all complain that they are "the worst ever".
    This summer they are actually the worst on record for every place I have heard and read about.
    Having said that, this should seem understandable that northern reaches would have a much worse infestation than that of a normal year. And that is what we seem to be saying about the Dempster and Dalton highways. The bugs suck.
    I have spent a couple of summers on the Yukon river, the bugs were the worst I had ever seen, until now. The trip up to Inuvik in my recent past was incredible and shocking, when all of the views and all of the bugs are concerned.
    I purchased the Permethrin and it worked, semi effectively. In the worst of the bugs it was ineffective, but in a light bug area it was very effective.

The whitesocks and no-see-ums will be the next infestation on the menu. These can put you in the hospital. The welts and lasting sores are worth getting the best products to keep them away from your blood supply. DEET is a proven and effective product, easily found, and you will smell like everyone else.

Ride safe and come to visit us in Alaska............:ricky :clap :super

We will even share our beverages...............:beer