Alaska Range Backcountry

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by PistonPants, Aug 22, 2011.

1. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    At long last, the Shutter Monkey and PistonPants get a weekend off to ramble around on majestic mountainsides on our 2 strokes. We tried to ride Saturday but we got rained out. Back to the motorcycle spa for the Monkey's GasGas. The Pampera receives new fork springs, fork oil, replace missing fasteners, a new (used) front Dunlop knobbie, tighten and true the wheels, bleed the clutch. Meanwhile my KDX gets chain oil and mix gas. Work completed, we set off Sunday afternoon to hit our favorite spot. Schist creek.

Shutter Monkey notices a quantum leap in the handling of his Gasser after the front end tune-up, although it takes us each two attempts to make the Price of Admission. We decide on the first cirque as our destination.

Although it's been two years since we made this ascent, we have no trouble finding our route to the ramp. Minimal bushwhacking.
    [​IMG]

From there we climb up to 4000', park our bikes and hike the last little bit up to the alpine lake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up here in the cirque it begins to rain on us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way back down, we find the blueberry patch. Dense and ripe, we picked and ate for half an hour. Too good to pass up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back up into the first cirque.
    [​IMG]

We haul ass on the way back to headquarters for cocktails and debriefing. A very enjoyable session riding in the backcountry.

Peace

Piston
  2. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    That looks like some endurocross terrain there, big guy. Nice stuff.
  3. ducnek

ducnek Trying not to feel it too hard

Oddometer:
    Wow! I want to ride there, I would do lots of this:muutt
  4. Arctic Orange

Arctic Orange Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanx Piston Pants, I sure the miss that country! Did most of my ride riding near the other end of the Denali Hwy and Donnelly Dome area. Lived in Delta Jct for too many years. Great photos.
  5. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    that is nasty :clap

Wish I could have been there!!! great photos, good to see the monkey bike back in action