Alaska Ride – Three Noob Adventure Riders go Far-Far Away to the Dempster

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rickj, Jul 25, 2015.

1. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I'm loving your ride report! I rode my new to me GSA to Prudhoe Bay in July 2015 and it was the ride of my life! I want to return and ride the Dempster and visit Dawson City. I've never heard about the rear mud guard falling off? I put blue thread locker on the little bolts when I install the mud guard after servicing the final drive unit.
  2. Great Escape

Great Escape Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed reading your report , well written and helped pass the time as I await for my adventure to Prudhoe 2017. I am hoping to take the approach you took and not overplan as I can easily do. I plan on leaving the Seattle area on May 26. Great information though on your adventure , appreciate you taking the time to tell the story !!
  3. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your comments.

Like you, I was searching out as many ride reports as I could find in preparation for our trip, and I learned much from reading them in addition to building up excitement about the upcoming ride. I'm so glad that my old ride report from 2015 is helping out riders going up north this coming summer! I also tend to over-plan, but I did throw in what I called "flex days" with no definite stops and routes. It worked out really well. We also planned down days from time to time.

We're planning another trip in 2018, but we'll be doing very far less specific planning. We'll have a few places we will definitely visit, and some reservations (like Dawson City), but are going to develop the ride along the way. Also, while our 2015 ride was a one-way trip with the bikes being shipped back to SoCal, we're planning on going up the Alaska Highway and back on the Cassiar. To save time though, we'll probably ship our bikes to Seattle and do the ride up and back from Seattle.

Rick
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. rickj

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you enjoyed my ride report, and I'm sure it brought back memories of your 2015 trip. I think the Dempster is a great ride, especially if the weather is favorable. We only went as far as the arctic circle marker, and I wish we had gone up to Inuvik. Interesting that you bring up the mud guard. I actually tried to put it back on last week and discovered that a bracket was broken and a bolt was actually sheared off! I've decided to just leave it off.
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    rick. looking forward to your next adventure.

thinking of doing a ride to alaska. just not sure when.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report Rick... it was fun reading the second time time around...
  7. rickj

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Rudy. With our next trip coming up in 68 days, I've been reading ride reports and trip planning threads getting ideas for the trip. There are lots of knowledgeable folks on this site who are willing to share ideas and answer questions, which makes this site invaluable.

I wrote the 2015 ride report in part to give back to this community by sharing my experiences, but to also chronicle the ride for reading in the future when I'm siting in the proverbial rocking-chair-on-the-porch looking back at my life. Great memories.

No plans to write another RR on this summer's ride though!
    BC Biker, Ozarks Rider and bobw like this.
  8. Ozarks Rider

Ozarks Rider I'd never join club that would have me as a member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to write this. Enjoyed it, and much like your spirit of giving back, I am planning on doing the same after my trip this summer if I can't keep up as I go. Going to try and make it to Tuk if weather and time permits after Prudhoe Bay.
    black 8 and rickj like this.
  9. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was fun and a great RR thanks for posting and taking us along.
    black 8 likes this.
  10. horseiron1

horseiron1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found this one, great RR. I hope to get up there someday, I need to make it happen. Work can wait!
    bobw likes this.