Alaska Road Reports

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by MHaz01, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving the midwest next week and riding to Alaska, with time spent on the Cassiar along the way. Skipping the Haul Road and the Dempster Highway this time, intending to spend time on paved roads (with the possible exception of a side-trip to Coldfoot). Riding a HD Ultra two-up this trip.

I'd appreciate any current road condition information.

Thanks in advance.

~Michael
    AKDuc likes this.
  2. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alberta
    Drive BC
    Yukon
    Alaska 511

And always good to have the Milepost since it has detailed info and maps on all the major routes to the Alaska Highway. It comes with a link to a pdf version.

I rode the Alaska highway (from Fairbanks south and back) July a year ago but not all the way to Dawson since I also rode the Cassiar highway #37 from Watson Lake to 16.
    Roads were in good condition. Cassiar is good with a few short gravel sections. As always the roughest part of the Alaska highway are sections between Kluane Lake and Beaver Creek in the Yukon. There are sections of the Alaska Highway immediately after the border crossing into Alaska that require constant attention.
    Don't overdrive your visibility into a blind corner or hill.
    MHaz01 and Kruzof like this.
  3. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Milepost maps will be onboard, and the pdf version on my iPad.
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Whitehorse south a week and a half ago it was in good shape. There was one gravel patch about 4-5 miles long just north of Rancheria. It was smooth at the time, I took it at 60-65 on a Wing. I am heading back up the Alcan today and will post up any other conditions that might have changed.
    dirtdoug, thirsty 1 and Kerrizor like this.
  5. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lets update this, we just rode up the Alcan to the Whitehorse area and construction season has begun! There were about 6 active areas and a few more that they were staging equipment. One area north of Fort Nelson was about 40 km long. a few others were 10 km.
    These areas have been taken back to a gravel road till they chip seal. It's not an issue on a dual sport bike, it wasn't an issue for my wife and I on our Wings but they are nasty dirty. If your a clean freak maybe ride somewhere else :-)