Alaska to Argentina - N69S54A

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by larshoejberg, Jul 6, 2011.

1. trevhead

trevhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    for the great dog tribute. i don't think i could deal with that many dislocated animals, i know it is different down there, and the many less affluent countries the world over for that matter, but a dog without a home is still a dog without a home. you guys are awesome, great report. :freaky
  2. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    St Albert. Alberta Canada. IBA Member 50093
    Henrietta and Lars, Thank you so much for your extremely entertaining and heart touching story of your great journey. I feel I have done nothing that compares with your travels. Even running my Ultra Marathons through the woods of Alberta (125KMs in 24 hrs) pales in comparison to what you two have accomplished.

I was glued to my computer screen and was blown away with the great pictures, specially the ones of the non tourist type, you never see like, the garbage and all those poor dogs.

If really lifts the spirit knowing that you really can do anything you want and really just have to take that first step.

Cheers, Brian from Alberta, Canada.
  3. Chupas

Chupas www.n69s54a.com

Oddometer:
    HOLD ON! Running 125 km in 24 hours (is that even possible!?) beats anything. RESPECT!!!!! But I agree with you, I really makes you feel that anything is possible. And even more it has made me realize that 99% of the stuff I am afraid of, will never happen. The remaining 1% will materialize in a completely different way than I had anticipated. Therefore I can forget about my constanct worries and take things as they come, rather than trying to visualize and prepare for every possible outcome.

Thanks a lot for reading :)
  4. agplant

agplant Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer:
    Check out the Canadian Death Race it is held mid summer in Grande Cache, Alberta. I know several people that have completed it either as part of a relay team and a few brave/crazy enough to do it solo (brother in law did solo in 2010). Not my idea of a super fun weekend but they seem to enjoy it. :huh
  5. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Love the last batch of pics!:clap
  6. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Off sick from work... I was bored. This was the first thread I opened this morning. Four hours later I have finally finished reading of your adventures!

Well done! What an experience... all I can say is :clap:clap:clap
  7. arraflipper

arraflipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just when I think you can't add anything more to your story, you have to top it with another piece of your journey. Being a dog lover this last part has torn at me, to see the poor dogs, and so many, too. Thanks once more for sharing both the good and the bad, of your trip with us!
  8. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:

3 times solo and 1 tream event.....never going back to Grande Cache...oh my knees!!
  9. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    Well said...and well written post.Cheers!!:thumb
  10. Blizzard7763

Blizzard7763 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report!

I started reading shortly after the trip started, but had to take a break to plan a trip of my own. Now I'm back, and all caught up.

I do have a couple questions. It seemed like you stayed in hotels or hostels in Central America and through the Northern part of South America, but camped in North America and all the way South. Was this for personal safety, or just to stay away from the jungle climate?

Also, is there any gear you brought that you felt wasn't necessary, and would ditch on the next trip?

Thanks!
  11. Chupas

Chupas www.n69s54a.com

Oddometer:
    Sounds exciting. Where are you heading? Regarding the accommodation it was partly as you write a feeling of safety and the climate. Your timing, shopping and focus is quite different it you camp. In North America it is so easy to find remote places to put up your camp. In Latin America it's generally more crowded and in Central America every little inch has a purpose. We could probably have camped with private people in their back yard, but we never got in to doing that. Also after crossing a border you are hot and sweaty and really want a shower. Also since we pretty much rushed through Central America we never got very far away from the Panamerican Hwy where it's crowded. In Colombia the weather sucked, in Peru it was just dessert and no water anywhere. Further south in Peru we could definately have camped but some days we hadn't planned for it others we stayed with friends. It's very much a rythm you get into. However with more time, we could definately have camped more. Our friend Petar who travels alone, he camps pretty much everywhere. With homeless people in Mexico City and other places with very little comfort and he has an amazing time. That would not be for us though.

We each had a set of winter liner for our Revit suits. Lars never used it and I used it a few times. Would leave it home next time. Heated grips are amazing when it's really cold. We would also bring a smaller tent. It was fantastic for sure, but just too bulky. I would have brought a better sleeping bag. Too big and too cold a night. We never used our water purifying set. We should have left it - or even better we should have used it and bought less bottled water. I bought a bear spray in Alaska - still have it and will probably never use it! Nice souvenir though :) Music. Brought my ipod. Used it twice and now it's broken.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck and let us know more.
  12. Blizzard7763

Blizzard7763 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Your answers to everyone's questions are a big help, stored into the memory bank for who knows when. One of these days I'll get my act together and get out there.

As far as my trip goes, I've actually left and come back already. Long motorcycle trips are tough for me, because I also have a skiing addiction to feed. I spent almost 3 weeks skiing in Chamonix, France. Pics and Story.

I'm glad you had a great trip, it's been a rush following along.

-Andy
  13. freefallen

freefallen down with gravity

Oddometer:
    This is so awesome! One day I'll be skiing there and traveling S.America too!
  14. Chupas

Chupas www.n69s54a.com

Oddometer:
    Settling back home has been harder than we thought it would be. It has been quite stressful really. Lars started work just 3 days after we landed and I started the following Monday. Big mistake - we should have had 1 month to recover really.

Anyways we still have 1 post coming up - the ride to Buenos Aires and the time we spend in the beautiful capital of Argentina. - And of course the amazing welcome committee that met us when we arrived in Copenhagen Airport.

I'll keep you waiting a bit longer for that final post, and meanwhile here's a little peak of how I spend my spare time! :D

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d7ylP9nAE3E" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

So for a little while I have replaced 2 wheels with 8 and at the next game coming up, I'll be skating. Wup Wup!!!!
  15. arraflipper

arraflipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am calling this a foal play teasing us and making us wait a little longer. Oh well I am sure it will be worth it. That work stuff has been known to wreck many a good time. You should be toughened up from all the riding, hope you enjoy the multiple wheels, a lot.
  16. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    When I next travel to Europe, I'm going to have to attend some Roller Derby games just because its so different than what I would expect to see in Europe.

Its gotta be very hard to leave your normal lives for 6 months or so and then return to them and jump right back into them as if the 6 months before never happened.

Waiting patiently for the next installment in your epic saga.
  17. Bigsporkk

Bigsporkk Ambitious Commuter

Oddometer:
    I am sure that the final installment will be worth the wait. I have been quietly following you two since Christmas time. Thank you for the great report.
  18. old dush

old dush n00b

Oddometer:
    what a Wonderful RR! couldn't stop reading it.

good thing you made it home safe.

thanks for sharing, it was inspiring.
  19. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    So to be a complete NOOOOOB :ear as to the Roller Derby sport ,whats the general idea of roller derby? :huh How do you get points and win? :killenAnything illegal as far as moves that can get you disqualified? :deal After a derby do you girls go to a pizza joint and order pizza and brewskies all around like we do in the states after a ball game? :photog just wondering, rj
  20. dragstarjohn

dragstarjohn n00b

Oddometer:
    Love it... something for me to aspire to.

Looking forward to the final post. :clap