Alaska to Argentina - N69S54A

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by larshoejberg, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Chupas

Chupas www.n69s54a.com

Oddometer:
    It's basically a race between two jammers. The jammer score points for each opponent she passes. A bout consists of two halfs of 30 minutes. Each half is broken up into jams that can last up to 2 minutes. The jammer has 4 blockers with her on the track. Their job is to prevent the opponent jammer to break through and help their own jammer by creating space for her.

You cannot use your arms, elbows or hands to block. You can't trip people or block above the neck or under the knee. Also you can not hit in the back. Otherwise everything is legal. Check out this hit by Beyonslay (00:37), it's perfectly legal and lethal.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L1uVC0VlqwY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

We don't eat pizza, but we do drink more beer that we should! (:
  2. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    I've recently discovered roller derby and I think it's fantastic. Everybody should check it out at least once.
  3. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:
    Hahaha!! I remember you showing me other vid of that gal. I love the names. Beyonslay. That's awesome!! :rofl
  4. Archangel2003

Archangel2003 n00b

Oddometer:
    <style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }</style> I know it's been a while, but there were some parts of interest missing.

You guys went from Costa Rica in one post to leaving Columbia in the next reference.
    What happened between those two places?
    How did you get from Panama to Columbia?
    Google maps does not show a road from one to the other and some make it sound like they rode through the gap.

Are there dirt roads not on the map?
    Is it nothing but mountains and cliffs?
  5. alison's wanderland

alison's wanderland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There have only been a few documented crossings through the Darien Gap. I believe the last attempt took about 6 weeks to traverse the 99-miles of swampland because, as you mention, there are no roads. it's a muddy mess of rainforest.

Most people either take a sailboat / catamaran (moto hoisted aboard) or fly across (moto prepped and shipped)
  6. Chupas

Chupas www.n69s54a.com

Oddometer:
    Archangel, thanks for asking for the missing section.
    I must have forgotten to include it here on ADVrider but you can find it on our website http://www.n69s54a.com/2011/panama
    Also we actually still need to write the very last post - the ending of the trip.
    To be honest as we arrived home in Denmark we were simply exhausted and I felt I had to get some distance to the whole thing - but I should really sit down and write what happened on the last stretch in Argentina and maybe a few lines about what happened back home.

I can reveal one thing now - I will be joining the next Roller Derby World Cup in Dallas, Texas in december this year - in fact as a skater for the Danish National Team! YAY! Cynthia (Woodsatyr), who we met in Moab on our big trip, will come to watch the games in Dallas and afterwards she and I will go on a trip to Florida together. We really connected when we met in Moab and have manged to stay in touch ever since.

So amazing how a journey like this can give you wonderful friendships!
  7. Archangel2003

Archangel2003 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, your adventure got me in trouble with the wife for staying up too late reading up on what happened next!

My daughter is in Neuquén Argentina with her boyfriend/finance who is from that town.

She might enjoy reading about your trip.
  8. Chupas

Chupas www.n69s54a.com

Oddometer:
    Hahaha! So sorry. Say hi to your wife :)
    Neuquén is such a pretty area in Argentina. That's where we crossed in from Chile. Hope they are enjoying their time there.
  9. Chupas

Chupas www.n69s54a.com

Oddometer:
    Damn! I have itchy feet.....
    WhicheverAnyWayCan and woodsatyr like this.