Alaska to Argentina on a Grom/R3

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GromWayRound, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No way I cannot watch this one, you be safe and have fun while doing this. Grom, I have the Thai version in Thailand and the local shop is far enough, respect you giving this a go my friend. Bike however looks very well setup, better the Grom than the R3.
    GromWayRound likes this.
  2. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    Nice!!

following you on Instagram too
    GromWayRound likes this.
  3. fanatic291

fanatic291 Desert Tortoise

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your adventure.
    GromWayRound likes this.
  4. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My new hero. In.
    GromWayRound likes this.
  5. alf

alf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    those knobies on Grom are very cute
    GromWayRound likes this.
  6. GromWayRound

GromWayRound n00b

Oddometer:
    So if you hadn't gathered from the last picture, I did make it to Deadhorse. :smile6 The Dalton ended up being in fair condition. There was some work being done at some points and I had a good amount of rain/mud coming back through Atigun but other than that it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I was very grateful I put the knobbies on - would've eaten it if I hadn't. :muutt

Coming back down to Coldfoot I had a headwind all day and couldn't go much faster than 35 or even 30 mph at some points. It totally tanked my efficiency and I ended up with about 10 miles to go and the engine started cutting out. I slowed down to about 25 and made it easily. Other than that I had zero mechanical issues.

Near Galbraith Lake:
    DSC_0101.jpg

Atigun Pass:
    DSC_0107.jpg

Dalton mud on the tires:
    DSC_0109.jpg

As I was coming back from Alaska, I stopped in Whitehorse to do an oil change. A guy walking past me in a dealership parking lot did a double take and came to check the bike out. He had purchased two buses for RV conversion in Whitehorse and was driving the first one home. He offered me a ride down to Prince George and I accepted (glad I did - it was cold and rainy the whole way down). Not but 20km out of town and we popped a tire on the bus so I ended up helping him replace them all the way around. What an adventure.

Jade City, B.C.:
    DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

Crazy Sherp ATV:
    DSC_0124.jpg

I'm back in PG now and riding out tomorrow toward the Vancouver/Seattle area. :ricky
  7. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike look great really is a tiny ADV bike well put together, nice work, enjoying this thread already.
    GromWayRound likes this.