1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Alaska to Tierra del Fuego: Cheap Aussie Style!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by thecanoeguy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. zg1286

zg1286 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awsome just awesome
  2. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    and paperwork ,i never know where i am going until i change my mind 5 times ,so it makes it hard ,but i am not a pay a backhander type of guy ,thats because i am a cheap aussie bastard ,most paperwork is a there and then thing down this way ,with a few hiccups along to add to the fun,these are the guys i was on the amazon with ,we just went on a 4 hour hike that nearely killed me, the waterfall is Gocta ,the 3rd biggest drop in the world and its running into the vinnie jones lookalike(nick) ear in this pic ,think i should stick to the bike

Attached Files:

3. Crofty

Crofty Life's a Garden, DIG IT!

Oddometer:
    Fucking awesome :freaky Shit i laughed at ya comments about the banning :lol3
  4. rawdog

rawdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Standing by for updates.
  5. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    looks like i am going to have to ride my honda monkey(Z50) melbourne to london next trip
    ok back to this trip report when i left chachapoyas it was a brilliant day ,birds singing pig humming ,following the valley along was brilliant ,got a little stormy up in the high bits ,and nut retreating cold as well, but managed a nice pic

Attached Files:

6. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    shootin the breeze ,posing for thecamera

Attached Files:

7. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    this one was the first door on the left,the village had no power ,so it was candles all the way ,but only 8 soles for the night,even had a candle lit dinner with 2 moody french dikes

Attached Files:

8. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    and was going great until around lunchtime it started raining, pretty rough old roads so i guess the rain god decided it must be time to break the bolts on my rear subframe , was riding along and next thing my arse drops about 6 inches,for some weird reason i thought the bolt mod had been done i looked liked like i was trying to do a RTW Doug chopper impersonation

Attached Files:

9. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    so it was freezing and raining and i was along way from anywhere so a little creativity had to be applied i got my cable lock and the strap from my hennesy hammock and tied the rear rack to the front of the head stem and gradually pulled the arse up ,it was a little rough sitting down so i had to stand up for 3 hours til i got to town

Attached Files:

10. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    when i found a hotel it just happened to be owned by a local motocross rider ,who just happened to have a big workshop, so a little drilling and a little welding and she was brand new, it also ripped of the bracket where the tank bolts on but luckily the wiring managed to stay in one piece

Attached Files:

11. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    this must be the peru version of the outback dunny ,they have these all over the place,maybe some of those missionary types came and built these for the locals to stop them crapping in the river

Attached Files:

12. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    did i mention that there are more switchbacks in the andes, than cogs in a swiss watch factory

Attached Files:

13. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    totally amazing scenery,but the roads have been laced with rocks that make it like riding your bike in a swimming pool full of marbles,so slow going, like 150 km in a day type slow(20 kph) the pig was all over the shop if you tried to up the pace a touch

Attached Files:

14. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    coming down this hill and those rocks decided to spear me into the wall ,not going so fast, but i am glad it was not to the left ,otherwise i think the pig would be still there at the bottom of the river

Attached Files:

15. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    there where some pretty interesting sights along the way ,people busily making mud bricks and roof tiles, building new houses ,i guees the mud brick houses here need replacing once in a while

Attached Files:

16. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    this huge sludge pit was up in the hills behind either a copper or gold mine ,the guys did not seem too happy me taking this picture

Attached Files:

17. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    i had dinner with the pig ,room was upstairs ,they seem to be happy to get your business,all the locals were having a good old gander

Attached Files:

18. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    a lot of them are pretty much untouched by us turistas, and just get on with there day to day jobs, gotta get off the pan american and see the sights

Attached Files:

19. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Keep the photos coming, Dave. There should be more environmental stuff up photos like yours on ADV. Cheers mate!
  20. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    you take a little bit of this green leaf that looks a bit like a cross between agave and aloe vera(my names michael cain), it looks like snot, you add some home brew tea looking stuff and a bunch of other things in bottles and you end up with this tasty little number

Attached Files: