1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Alaska to Tierra del Fuego: Cheap Aussie Style!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by thecanoeguy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    some of them seem a little dodgy,this one had issues

Attached Files:

2. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    the pig has been fairly horizontal of late,so i had to add this little slip up, just stopping for a pic and i think i forgot to put my foot down or something just as smart

Attached Files:

3. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    there is a section before Huaraz coming into the Corderilla Blanco that has about 50 odd tunnels,,here are a few ,this is a coal mine ,these poor dudes dont seem to be having a good time of it all

Attached Files:

4. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    some of them contain buses ,so you have to be pretty fucking edgy when you go in ,i dont think you really need to go to La paz to find death road, there are plenty of them about

Attached Files:

5. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    this is from the bike over the edge ,i stick close to the wall, fuck the road rules

Attached Files:

6. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    mind you thats because i got pickpocketed at the market (dickhead) they got my wallet (bigger dickhead for having it at the market) with cash and credit card,so i guess i have to relax here until i get my new card,they have 6 peaks over 6000 metres in the cordillera blanca and it feels like your in the alps in europe

Attached Files:

7. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    with a little time to kill i went up to one of the glaciers,a bit off puffing on the way,as its around 4,500 metres ,i had my special bluntstone glacier trecking boots on ,(maybe the aussies might be the only ones who know these)

Attached Files:

8. rawdog

rawdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude, the luck you are having on this leg of the trip!

Great pics, glad you are getting off the highway and into the small towns. I LOVED Peru, the small towns especially, and the fresh squeezed juices for dirt cheap.
  9. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    ,dont remind me about the pickpocket too much, its more embarassing than anything else ,you think you have been around a bit and seen a bit, and know how to look after your self ,and then some fucker catches you when you let down your gaurd ,i got zips put in my shorts pockets now ,even got em sewn in at the same market ,i must thanks joe at jo´s lodge in huaraz for looking after me while my new card arrived ,also had cecelia from switzerland staying there as well ,she has been on the road for 4 years on her trusty gs clocking up 200,000 + km,finally left today and managed to get myself invited to stay at a house herein Lima tonight with internet and all ,gonna try and get some gear and do my valve clearances tomorrow
  10. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    thought i better get with the program and try to upload pics through smugmug ,i am a computer dork from hell but we will give it a crack
    this is Cecelia from switzerland, she had been on the road for 4 years on her GS and was in huaraz with biker joe doing a bit of climbing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i was going to ride straight to Cusco but i needed to do my valve adjustment and get some brake pads ,i went to Crosland group in Lima with a recomendation from a horizons guy and was glad i did,they seemed to like me and gave me a free service ,did the valves, gave me a new helmet ,gloves and brake pads and did me a smokin deal on a new tyre as well as another spare set of pads,they even bought me lunch ,cheers guys, it is nice to get a bit of help every now and then,especially christian in marketing and luis in spares
    [​IMG]
    the helmet is a kawasaki one with flip up front,even has blue tooth ,so if you need parts for your klr in lima drop in to see them ,Luis in spares speaks pretty good english ,they also import these bajaj taxis into peru
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i went to a chifa (chinese restaurant) and managed to get a spare room upstairs ,mind you it was a squeeze getting the pig into the kitchen ,then i found a new number plate for my collection[​IMG]
    found a boot maker to fix a split in my tank bag
    [​IMG]
    got to spend the weekend in miraflores they have these amazing old mansions all over the place,this one was the hostel was staying at ,bike friendly with a garage called Home Peru[​IMG]
  11. Chainring

Chainring 2 Wheels Rock!

Oddometer:
    Awesome report. Love the straight forward style and free spirit!:clap
  12. flatmo

flatmo Americano

Oddometer:
    Same here!

13. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    Really like the way you travel.......Balls to the wall, and let the chips fall where they may. :clap Also like that when things go wrong, you roll up your sleeves, and fix it yourself without any whining.....Good on you. Pictures are great, you have me dreaming of South America now. :evil
  14. Marcbar

Marcbar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have mastered Smugmug. It's a great site to use for this purpose.
    Really enjoying your trip report so keep it coming.
  15. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    it was a pretty straghtforward run down the coast ,the Lima weather is freaky ,the fog is weird ,still doesnt seem right, fog in the desert,went through Ica on the way ,this is where they have huge sandhills that mad backpackers go tearing down on sandboards,removing skin on the way
    [​IMG]
    then it was on to nasca ,not for circuit racing on big banked tracks with beasty great chevys ,the place where they graffitied up the desert a couple of thousands years back, i took the flight as you cant see much from the seat of the pig,the nice french girl next to me did not like the flipping around in the little cesna,so she was doing a bit of talking to the sick bag
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i only had my replacement mastercard and it does not go into atm machines ,and they pretty much only like visa in the smaller places, so i headed off the 650 km to cusco with about 30 soles and half a tank of fuel,it was slow going with plenty of road works in the first 200 km,so it started go get dark,and i was heading up into a 4,500 metre pass so i wacked on everything warm i had, and just to help it started snowing ,so i was freezing my arse off and it was still 80 km to the next town ,where i had no spare money to have a luxury like food,and the trucks coming at you in the dark ,with fogged up visor and glasses nearly pushed me off the road a few time ,i was swearing under the helmet a wee tad,,i met a cop in this next town and he kindly let me stay at the cop shop, as after i filled my tank i had 1 soles left to cusco
    [​IMG]
    i thought i might get a cell ,but it was in the bunk room cheers to the local cops saving my freezing butt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is too common a sight here in the andes,bus crashes are pretty common [​IMG]
    finally made it to Cusco and restocked the wallet and had a feed,gringo central here but a very impressive place ,i ventured out to the world famous Norton Rats Pub for one of there burgers,there are more souvenir shops here than you can poke a stick at
    [​IMG]
    love the spanish colonial buildings [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. rawdog

rawdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bring it!!! We need an update!

That's awesome that the coppers let you bunk at their station. :freaky
  17. hludwit

hludwit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What can I say Dave:
    Your RR is one of my favorites, You have a thing for facing the adversity of traveling and not letting get to you mate! Bring it on!
    fantastic report. Hope to run into you someday.
    Cheers from California
  18. rawdog

rawdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to sound like a homo with all my comments but I check your ride report daily for updates. This is one of the best. Hope you're having a blast, looking forward to more pics and stories.

rawdog
  19. farawayman

farawayman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is fantastic Dave, Keep it going.

Love your work.
  20. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    sorry no updates for a while ,i like to ride not write about it every five minutes ,so anyway blew my rear shock in the mountains above la paz and been slowly making my way here ,no fun though bolivia i can give you the tip ,corrugations are a bitch ,they want to throw you off every 2 secs ,will update in the next few days ,i am off to the shock doctor tomorrow
    hey rawdog ,you been lookin at pics of my peachey white ass on here some where
    here is a pic of a mountain biker that did not quite make the corner on the worlds most dangerous road, you know where every one gets a t shirt to say they survived ,maybe they buried this guy in one that said ,i didnt make the death road in bolivia

Attached Files: