Alaska to Tierra del Fuego: Cheap Aussie Style!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by thecanoeguy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    so will try again , we cruised about santiago for the weekend even saw the president out and about in her ragtop waving to the common folk ,these guys were getting ready for the moment
    [​IMG]
    it was more of the tourist pics ,i am so lucky that kerri decided to spend her whole first overseas trip with me ,i am such a lucky guy
    [​IMG]
    off course i wont post these on the net i says ,now stop looking so peeved and smile for the birdie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we managed to get the pig,s shock doctored by innacio at racetech ,but he did keep muttering these words ,not good ,not good ,mmm which did not have me feeling to overconfident ,no pics of the shop as of that sd card thingy ,so wednesdaty morning we haeded for puerto montt via valaparaiso ,its awsome being the arty sort of hangout for chile ,has stacks of the wild tin houses
    [​IMG]
    cool art all over the place as well
    [​IMG]
    and did i mention the seafood in chile cheap and stacks of it ,i am getting real hungry just looking at that pic and thinking back
    [​IMG]
  2. rawdog

rawdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun!
  3. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    i would have liked to spend more time there, but getting the bikes rear shock fixed took 5 days of kerris trip so we headed south[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    who says you cant tour 2 up on a klr
    [​IMG]
    i collect a number plate or 2 from each country and these places are where i find em ,i love junk yards
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    what does a canoe guy do when he sees a big canoe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i am sure this is the biggest burger i ever took on ,it won i didnt get the t-shirt
    [​IMG]
    lago llanquihue is about 20 km north of puerto montt and worth a lap around ,some very awsome houses planted on the shores ,this area is just like europe, it was a german colony from the 19th century
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this guy must be a keen golfer ,its a small 6 -ish hole golf course tacked on the side of his farm ,kerri just happened to spot the flag as we went passed
    [​IMG]

4. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Volcan Osorno in the background?
  5. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Fore!!!
  6. moralesxr600

moralesxr600 Nahuelbuta

Oddometer:
    Excelente viaje!! Lástima que recién he visto este post. Te habría invitado a mi ciudad, Concepción.
  7. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    it was great having kerri on the pig for a few weeks but i am not sure i would want to do a RTW 2 up on a klr,would have to get a AT for that i reckon
    [​IMG]
    a bit of local art
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    soon enough kerri left back for oz ,at least she had a smile
    [​IMG]
    i was left alone,just me and my toasty,so what did i need to do, but to tierra del fuego (in october) proof ,me and the bike and being a cheap aussie bastard ,i went all out ,first it was a purple jump suit for skking or parachute junping 70,s vintage made in the states even ,nice price $4
    [​IMG]
    so that makes it like 6 layers i have
    [​IMG]
    these are door mat leg and feet warmers ,total on these lovelies $2.60
    [​IMG]
    oh and the supertrick 3m racetape hand warmers ,beats those poofy electric grips anyday,1 roll of race tape $5 used fuck all of the roll ,any one need some made,oh yeah notice something funny about the bike
    [​IMG]
    then onto the ferry to puerto natales
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a bit of a trip off the boat into one of the ports on the way down
    [​IMG]
    the ferry was great but back to the task ahead ,i managed to make it about 80 km before there was a touch of wobble about the arse closely followed by some nasty grinding type noises,mmm time to have a look
    [​IMG]
    oh well slapped it back together and hobbled over to a farmers paddock stashed it behind a tree whipped the wheel out and hitched back to town ,only took about 2 hours before some one stopped for the grimey bike rider with a wheel in his hand,i was not getting to punta arenas for an early dinner i was beginning to think
    [​IMG]
    shit i mean i changed them like 30,000 miles back, arent they good for more than that ,notice the look of angst on his face ,only took 4 shops to get the 2 bearings needed and a quick hitch back to the pig ,that, by the way fell off the centre stand while i was gone ,grrrr
    [​IMG]
    i am guessing patagonia means ,fucking big wind, or something similiar
    [​IMG]
  8. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    It gets worse the deeper into summer you get ...
  9. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    If that's what Patagonia means then I dread to think what Ooooshooowayer means:lol3
  10. rawdog

rawdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the feet and hand warmers, you make all KLR owners proud of your work.
  11. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    This is excellent - someday . . .
  12. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    something to do with the locals name when those shortarse spaniards came in weilding there swords about the place ,so not far to go now and its all over and done with (or so i thought)
    [​IMG]
    a little bit of snow to play with
    [​IMG]
    someone did mention it would be a little fresh down there ,but my super hand warmers were doing there job and not to mention the girlie legwarmers
    [​IMG]
    and there it was the sign we all want to see ,now hang on a sec that aint right ,but its a start

aaah i see you have to go to the national park and shell out 50 pesos if you want the propper photo ,thats ransom ,but if your a tight ass and you dont want to do that you can always ride out there at about 4 pm when there is no one on the gate and get this picture ,it seems this is as far south as you can go in the world ,wow ,it sure felt good
    [​IMG]
    now if you do go and pay your spondoola you get to see nice things like this at your leisure
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and if your lucky you might get a marching girl to turn up for the huge occasion
    [​IMG]
    then there is the train , i see these guys sitting in there having a vino ,very civilised

[​IMG]
    all there is left to do is to head to head for a longneck
    [​IMG]
    some really cool houses down here ,i am looking for some inspiration for my new shed i am going to build when i get home
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so thats about it i guess except for the 4000 km i have to ride back to buenos aires
  13. Jorjao

Jorjao Adventurer

Oddometer:
    somewhere near the Western-most point of Europe
    Excellent! Good luck for your trip to Buenos Aires! :clap

.. and more report and photos please!:lurk
  14. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming! It has been great fun to follow you down there. Good luck on the rest of the trip!:clap
  15. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    after a few days of looking about ushuaia and thinking about those 50,000 km on the pigs speedo since alaska in 2006,in 3 differnt stints i had to head north, just a leisurely jaunt,
    [​IMG]
    i got to rio grande on the first day and it was raining ,no make that snowing ,so i was hoping it would be all clear the next day ,not going to happen ,in the morning it was freezing and windy and raining just what you need to start the day ,i decided to go the long way back to punta arenas as the ferry was not til 6 pm from porvenir ,so with a fierce headwind i was making progress at about 45 miles an hour ,you see the pig is sick, using oil and no compression left so any head winds and hills are slow going,then this, as my tyre is near bald i managed to pick up another bit of wire ,only needed to get another 200 km to a new tyre ,ever tried a flat repair in patagonia on a windy day
    [​IMG]
    lucky for me a truck driver stopped and let me use his air tank to pump up my tyre ,my mountain bike pump is a bitch to pop the bead on ,i then headed to the ferry missing one by about 60 seconds
  16. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Did you end up going to Torres del Paine national park? I was expecting some pics of the mountains & glaciers - did I miss something?
  17. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    i went from puerto natales straight down to ushuaia and am now on the way back up [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these were heading into the park ,more ooohs and aaahs to be had
    [​IMG]
  18. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Aha. Gotcha. Pics from there never fail to impress ... :bow
  19. thecanoeguy

Oddometer:
    if your there drop in to the erratic rock ,bike friendly hostel run by a couple of cool yanks they can give you all the tips on tores del paine
    [​IMG]
    then it was a quick trip up to el calafate to check out the glacier, perito moreno
    [​IMG]
    the pig was starting to burp and fart and make a bit of a racket ,mmm, exhaust gasket fucked ,let me see,bit of magyvering again on an exhaust gasket i found in the local mechanics junk bin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then it was off to the only forward moving glacier left in the world
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then it was onward and upward on ruta 40 ,wow windy you want ,was back to 45 again in some places with the westerley blowing all the time ,sometimes it will try and take out your front wheel if you dont be too careful ,and if you get into the loose gravel ,i think i nearly crashed about 20 times i reckon [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    when you do see a tree around here it is a little windswept
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    back shock was lucky to get this far i reckon ,so not far from buenos aires it started to leave its mark ,much to the disgust of the service station bird
    [​IMG]
    so it was back to boinging all over the place ,but no more dirt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    not far to go now i was just hoping nothing else would break on the pig now
    [​IMG]
    the thermosat wire was broken off and when i hit buenos aires with stop start traffic she started cooking and pissing out water everywhere ,so in the middle of the city i had to wire up the fan to run all the time, solving the problem,i went to meet xfiltrate (from horizens) in town ,i got one block from the coffe shop and she konked out ,so i had to push her ,ed(xfiltrate) is giving me a crate to ship the pig back home ,so we had coffee with a former nasa rocket scientist who develpoed tango zen (yes) and a mad swiss guy who does tai chi and travels the world doing seminas on it ,interesting ,i then lost my travel book and had all sorts of fun finding a place to stay ,here is the pig getting a nice clean for the trip to oz
    so i did a bit of a look around the pig ,she has done well but in need of some serious love
    [​IMG]
    that front tyre got me from brazil to peru and ushuaia and back ,front fork seal leakin real bad ,thermostat broke off ,cush drive rooted ,scott oiler not working, both tank shrouds broken off and held on with cable ties ,rear shock blown ,using more oil than a 2 stroke ,4 litres in the last 1500 km, back brake caliper stuffed ,non existant back brakes ,so remember folks if you have a klr give it a rebuild around 10,000 km beofe i had too ,it has now 75,000 miles or 120,000 km ,so i will be giving her a major rebuild before cape town to moscow next year
  20. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    doooood - you win the 'Cheap-ass-world-rider' award.

Cheers! :freaky:clap:clap:clap:clap